Jewel of the Seas - movie theatre

6Health7

We were on the Jewel two years ago for our honeymoon on an 11-night cruise. They played two movies a day, one in the am (around 11ish, and one in the pm 9ish.) Although it could be different now.

After a week the movie list repeated. They were the same ones offered on the cabin TVs. It was nice to be able to sit somewhere other than our cabin to watch a movie.

The theater was a bit hidden- just past the racing themed bar behind a red velvet curtain. Many times we were the only people in there. It is small, holds maybe 15-20 people. The rows are steep, like stadium seating theaters.

It does not cost extra. :)

We just got off Jewel this last Saturday. Here's what was playing last week in the Cinema (which seats about 50 people and is stadium seating which is nice) and the Coral Theater (where the big shows are done) along with the times of each:

Movie in the Cinema:

Day 1 - 7:00 pm & 10:00 pm - "Green Hornet"

Day 2 - 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 7:00 pm & 10:00 pm - "I Am Number 4"

Day 3 - 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 7:00 pm & 10:00 pm - "The Fighter"

Day 4 - 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 7:00 pm & 10:00 pm - "No Strings Attached"

Day 5 - 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 7:00 pm & 10:00 pm - "Rango"

Day 6 - 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 7:00 pm & 10:00 pm - "Unknown"

Day 7 - 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 7:00 pm & 10:00 pm - "Grumpy Old Men"

Movie on the Big Screen (Coral Theater):

Day 2 - 2:00 pm "Morning Glory"

Day 3 - 2:00 pm "The Switch"

Day 4 - 1:30 pm "Little Fockers"

Day 5 - 1:30 pm "The Tourist"

Day 6 - none

Day 7 - 1:00 pm "Dinner for Schmucks"

My mother is the one who did the movies. She usually went to the 7pm showing in the Cinema and sometimes she was the only person there. The afternoon movies she said were sometimes packed, especially on the sea days. The movies in the Cinema were replayed the next day on TV. I don't remember the ones in the Coral Theater being run on TV. They did show other movies, since we watched "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I" on TV the last night of our sailing.

Hope this gives you an idea of what to expect!

Theresa

We just got off Jewel this last Saturday. Here's what was playing last week in the Cinema (which seats about 50 people and is stadium seating which is nice) and the Coral Theater (where the big shows are done) along with the times of each:

Movie in the Cinema:

Day 1 - 7:00 pm & 10:00 pm - "Green Hornet"

Day 2 - 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 7:00 pm & 10:00 pm - "I Am Number 4"

Day 3 - 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 7:00 pm & 10:00 pm - "The Fighter"

Day 4 - 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 7:00 pm & 10:00 pm - "No Strings Attached"

Day 5 - 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 7:00 pm & 10:00 pm - "Rango"

Day 6 - 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 7:00 pm & 10:00 pm - "Unknown"

Day 7 - 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 7:00 pm & 10:00 pm - "Grumpy Old Men"

Movie on the Big Screen (Coral Theater):

Day 2 - 2:00 pm "Morning Glory"

Day 3 - 2:00 pm "The Switch"

Day 4 - 1:30 pm "Little Fockers"

Day 5 - 1:30 pm "The Tourist"

Day 6 - none

Day 7 - 1:00 pm "Dinner for Schmucks"

My mother is the one who did the movies. She usually went to the 7pm showing in the Cinema and sometimes she was the only person there. The afternoon movies she said were sometimes packed, especially on the sea days. The movies in the Cinema were replayed the next day on TV. I don't remember the ones in the Coral Theater being run on TV. They did show other movies, since we watched "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I" on TV the last night of our sailing.

Hope this gives you an idea of what to expect!

Theresa

That's a little different when we were last on the Jewel last April. There may have been a movie shown in the Coral Theater at sometime during the cruise, but not on an almost daily basis as on your cruise. Maybe something new or just different activities on different itineraries. Interesting:).

Movie theater is one of our little indulgences on sea days on transatlantic crossing. We never get a chance on port intensive routes. Too bad no popcorn (HAL had it though). But much more comfortable than watching on cabin TV while sitting on the bed. Projection is digital TV type projector but not high def - so more like watching old TV on a bigger screen. Selection is about same as airline movies - about same as new cable oferings or just released DVDs.

That's a little different when we were last on the Jewel last April. There may have been a movie shown in the Coral Theater at sometime during the cruise, but not on an almost daily basis as on your cruise. Maybe something new or just different activities on different itineraries. Interesting:).

It might also have had to do with the fact that it was chilly outside and an older crowd on our cruise. There were only 11 children on our sailing and temps weren't super warm. I never saw anyone in the outdoor pool, although people were in the Solarium using the hot tub there and the pool.

I believe next summer they are doing a referb and Jewel will get the big outdoor movie screen, I was on the Carnival Freedom a few weeks ago and they were showing the football games on the big screen.

Happy sailing

Brian J

At present there is no scheduled revitalization announced for Jewel of the Seas. It is one of the few that was not mentioned when the schedule of future refurbishments was released a few months back. Barring some new information to the contrary I don't expect to see the big movie screen added to Jewel in the foreseeable future. Jewel is in excellent shape so they may be delaying making any major changes until most of the other ships have been completed.

It might also have had to do with the fact that it was chilly outside and an older crowd on our cruise. There were only 11 children on our sailing and temps weren't super warm. I never saw anyone in the outdoor pool, although people were in the Solarium using the hot tub there and the pool.

Makes perfect sense..... sometimes the Caribbean activities are just too predominant in my mind with sun, bellyflop contests etc. I for one love the cooler weather cruises. Thanks.

Archived