Serenade of the Seas Oct 9-16-2011

cicirider

Just back from a cruise.

Here 's what we liked and didn't at the ports of call.

Barbados: swimming with turtles. My daughter loved the snorkeling. Excursion was well run and not too too crowded.

We rented a car with with Johnson Stables to take us a round the island- 40/hr. Not worth it. Sandra our driver was lackluster at best and seemed barely knowledgeable about the island except which beach Rihanna visits when she comes to Barbados.

Saint-Lucia: we had a good day here deute the driving rain. We booked a day pass at ti- Kaye Vil

Age which is an out of the way resort on the island. A driver from the hotel led us up and drove us there (took 45 minutes) thru a very scenic remote cow try side. Loved getting put of the tourist zone. The resort is a sie place but they have their own black sand beach where you can snorkel and a decent tho not extraordinary al fresco lunch on a terrace with a stunning views(no drinks incl.), a lovely pool, and best of all the most beautiful spa you can imagine. We had an hour massage that was out of this world with a drop dead gorgeous view pf the ocean bay below. Amazing.

The day pass is $110 plus the transport. We want to take a water taxi back but the water was too rough. Great day.

Antigua: we had a lovely driver, George, who took us to Grand Pinneaple Resort where again we bought day passes ($60 for adults and $40 for chidden). George waited for us and only got paid when we were returned to the ship. It was pretty reasonable. The beach was pretty crowded but the sand was gorgeous and the water very clear. All beach equip,net was included as was buffet lunch and all drinks. The staff was super nice and we had a good experience.

Saint- Maarten: we rented a private boat excursion with Captain Alan. This was the highlight of the trip for us. We went put with Sasha a great guide who took us to a deserted reef to snorkel. We e en saw a turtle which is apparently vey rare. He then took us to a lovely and deserted beach where we had their signature mud bath which leaves your skin like satin. Afterwards he set the boat up for tubing and gave my daughter and husband a half hour ride they loved. Te we went to Pinel island a charming place with gorgeous clear warm water.we anchored and he gave us a healthy delicious lunch of fruit, baguette and cheese, and of course wine. Heaven. There was such a leisurely relaxed ace to it all. We never felt that he was on the clock. Pricey (gas costs fortune in the islands) but worth every penny ($550).

St-Croix: my husband went on the golf excursion organized by RCL to Carambola Golf Course and he adored it. He golfed with another passenger who was also a very good golfer and they had a perfect day ($140 I be

I bleieve). My daughter and I meanwhile visited Christiansted which is quaint but feels abandoned by time. There is nothing to do there. Our shuttle driver pointed out the most bizarre things like Wal-mart and McDonalds! Depressing. The beach beside the cruise ship was covered in trash and what looked like open sewage. I felt no need to linger there. Lots and lots of junky souvenir peddlers but otherwise kind of a dead place without ambience.

On pur last day on San Juan we had time to kill so we took the rain forest excursion. I love nature so this was worth while for me. I expected it to be a little more adventuresome but I guess they have to cater to all types of guests so it was a lot of bus time. We did have a wonderful guide, Pedro, who made it all okay. The forest is magical and I want to go back for a proper visit.

Archived