When my daughter is 18 - we are taking her on a cruise...

ticka1

Another 17 year old with a car and cell phone in her hand. Scary!!

Times have changed for sure, I was 15 when I got my license and had to buy my own car when I hit 18.

They usually have a couple of different level shows each evening, family and adult. Sorry, not sure what the official age is for the adult shows, but I did see them remove a couple of young kids (15 or so) from a show on the Elation a few weeks ago.

Times have changed for sure, I was 15 when I got my license and had to buy my own car when I hit 18.

Times haven't changed that much. You just don't remember. :pI went to high school over 20 years ago, and I had PLENTY of friends who got a shiny new car for their 16th birthday. Some even got a boat!

Times haven't changed that much. You just don't remember. :pI went to high school over 20 years ago, and I had PLENTY of friends who got a shiny new car for their 16th birthday. Some even got a boat!

I graduated in 1970. Now the boat I did have.:D

Its over 30 for me and it was exactly the same way. My parents got me a car when I graduated , but it was a good reliable used car to get me to and from school, and my part time job.

My DD didnt want a car lol! She has her license, but liked other people to do the driving. Now out of state in college, she doesnt need one.

She preferred cruises for each birthday :D

OP, she can get into the lounges, clubs and comedy club at 18.

My DD didnt want a car lol! She has her license, but liked other people to do the driving. Now out of state in college, she doesnt need one.

She preferred cruises for each birthday :D

OP, she can get into the lounges, clubs and comedy club at 18.

My oldest DD couldn't wait to get a car . Loved to drive was always the one driving her friends around when they went out. Now she lives in NYC where having a car is a big hassle and is very happy to take mass transit or a cab or walk.

Please, just make sure her head is screwed on straight. I don't want to see another thread about somebody's naive, innocent, not worldly - whatever term is deemed appropriate - daughter being taken advantage of from a slick crew or cruiser.

I mean that in all honesty and concern. Really.

My oldest DD couldn't wait to get a car . Loved to drive was always the one driving her friends around when they went out. Now she lives in NYC where having a car is a big hassle and is very happy to take mass transit or a cab or walk.

We had DD use one of our cars so it worked out when she did want one...which was nice because she turned 17 when we ran into a financial spot. :(

But same for my DD now....goes to college in Seattle with an awesome mass transit system, or walk. And parking is $185 a quarter ($740 year) on campus. No thanks!

For her 17th she will probably getting a car - so for her 18th birthday I figured I would surprise her with a cruise.

My question is what age are they allowed in the comedy club?

I think the pertinent question is "what is the age for the comedy club? -- it's 18.

the rest is just bragging about one's socio-economic status and privilege.

I don't know your family dynamics at all, but I was a little uncomfortable in the adult comedy shows with my adult kids - and we're not prudes by a long shot. If one laughs out loud at a certain joke or inuendo, that means they "get" it. Some of those comedians are pretty rough.

I don't know your family dynamics at all, but I was a little uncomfortable in the adult comedy shows with my adult kids - and we're not prudes by a long shot. If one laughs out loud at a certain joke or inuendo, that means they "get" it. Some of those comedians are pretty rough.

You would be very surprised what 18 yr old "get" these days .:)

I was a bit uncomfortable too- as a matter of fact, I guess I am pretty much of a prude- I find the adult comedy shows rough period. Just not my kind of humor.

My kids were deprived. Never got a cruise or a car from us, I usually only spent about 100.00 on their birthday gifts and maybe 200.00 at Christmas, but when they went to college, they didn't take out school loans because as long as they went to state schools, we paid for everything, tuition, room and board and books. They don't think they had it so bad. They also played traveling sports for about 12 years, so every weekend we traveled all over and then spent two weeks at the beach in the summer.

The car she is getting when she is 17 - next July is being built by her dad. It is just the body now and hubby is putting engine and transmission in it.

She asked to wait to go on cruises after she is 18 years old she wants to graduate high school and asked for a cruise as her gift. I told her no - we can't afford it but I have a savings account set up to save and then to book the cruise for 2014 when the schedule comes out and will surprise her with it.

I appreciate all the answers.

I think the pertinent question is "what is the age for the comedy club? -- it's 18.

the rest is just bragging about one's socio-economic status and privilege.

I was wondering why she mentioned a car on a cruise board.

Last cruise I was on my son was only 16 1/2 - there was an adult comedy act one night (family show was earlier in the big theatre) - they announced that the age at the late night comedy club was 18. We went to the show - he didn't. I saw a couple of youngish people there. The host made the announcement again that if you are not 18, you have to leave. I didn't see them actually checking anyone or asking anyone to leave. But your daughter will be 18 so no worries there. The acts can be very crude so it depends on your comfort level with her with you.

Archived