Glory to New England & Canada Synopsis 10/8/2011

crisperjr

Great review. We were on the Glory this past summer so this brings back wonderful memories of Halifax and St. John. We didn't do Boston but hope to in the future. Thanks for sharing.

Dot

Loved Boston! Just a great friendly city. (And great Chowder too)

Oliver

Thank you so much for the review and beautiful pics. This is right up there with Europe and Hawaii as one of my dream cruises. Hopefully, we'll be able to afford it next year. I've been tempted to take the shorter ones to Halifax and St. John since they're cheaper but honestly, I'm going for Boston and Maine. Canada is just icing on the cake. :D

Thank you so much for the review and beautiful pics. This is right up there with Europe and Hawaii as one of my dream cruises. Hopefully, we'll be able to afford it next year. I've been tempted to take the shorter ones to Halifax and St. John since they're cheaper but honestly, I'm going for Boston and Maine. Canada is just icing on the cake. :D

We were very fortunate to have such great weather in NY, Boston, Portland, and New Brunswick. As I had said in my review, I had read from others who had terrible weather --- that would have made the cruise a little less fun.

Wife is already talking about making a return cruise!

Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Hawaii ---- That's a cruise I'd LOVE to do!

Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

Oliver

Thank you for sharing your cruise here. I had decided to take the same cruise in 2012 but opted for the Glory to the Bahamas in May. We leave from Norfolk. Anyway my plans are to buy a FCC on board and book the NY-NE/Canada cruise on the Glory for 2013.

Couple of questions:

1. Should I pick out my 2013 dates now. Do I get more of a credit if I actually commit and not just having it open for two years?

2. There were at least two ports where you needed a car. Is that correct? Is there notihing to do in the ports you visited. (within walking distance)

And finally..were any of the ports tenders?

Thanks

Jan

Oliver

Thank you for sharing your cruise here. I had decided to take the same cruise in 2012 but opted for the Glory to the Bahamas in May. We leave from Norfolk. Anyway my plans are to buy a FCC on board and book the NY-NE/Canada cruise on the Glory for 2013.

Couple of questions:

1. Should I pick out my 2013 dates now. Do I get more of a credit if I actually commit and not just having it open for two years?

2. There were at least two ports where you needed a car. Is that correct? Is there notihing to do in the ports you visited. (within walking distance)

And finally..were any of the ports tenders?

Thanks

Jan

Jan,

1. Makes no difference regarding your FCC if you book a cruise now, or the day before it expires. The credits stay the same. As for booking 2013 now, I think Carnival only has 2013 dates through April right now.

2. None of the New England/Canada ports required port tenders. All the ports have stuff to do within walking distance:

Boston: It's a hike to get into the heart of the city (like Faneuil Hall), but it's do-able. However, I'd recommend a Taxi. Carnival however, has LOTS of shore excursions for this city

Portland: While we had friends here who drove us around, the ship docks right at the city or Portland. So lots of shopping, food, bars, etc. are here. However, a car would be a good idea especially if you want to see the Portland Head Lighthouse.

Saint John: Again, the ship docks right at the city. We did not use a car here. We obtained a city map ahead of time, and planned our own little walking tour. As I mentioned in my review, Saint John's shopping area's are connected by above ground walkways, so you can cover lots of shopping this way. (There are plenty Food, and Pubs in there too) We walked through the city center park, then along many residential streets just to get a "flavor" of what the architecture is.

Halifax: Ship also docks relatively close to the city limits. We did rent a car here because we wanted to see Peggy's Cove Loghthouse (40 miles away) This is a beautiful drive, both up and back, glad we got the car. But, all along the dock area is a waterfront walking area. It takes you past shops, pubs, food, venders, etc. We actually parked the car and walked some of this.

Hope this is helpful.

Oliver

Thank you so much.

You told me everything I need to know. I have noticed you have sailed on the Glory, Pride & Freedom.

Which class of ship did you like best? Why?

Last year I was on the Pride and spent the first few days lost, now I am going on the Glory and from what I've read the decks plans are more confusing. lol

But the good news is after this cruise, I will be familiar with both Spirit class and Conquest ships.

Thanks again and have a good holiday

Jan

Just read your review and it was quite enjoyable. You were very lucky St. Johns and Halifax were both fog free and not rainy. As you probably noticed by now most of us northeners take the Canada cruise several times as it takes that many visits to see both ports at their full potential. :)

Thank you so much.

You told me everything I need to know. I have noticed you have sailed on the Glory, Pride & Freedom.

Which class of ship did you like best? Why?

Last year I was on the Pride and spent the first few days lost, now I am going on the Glory and from what I've read the decks plans are more confusing. lol

But the good news is after this cruise, I will be familiar with both Spirit class and Conquest ships.

Thanks again and have a good holiday

Jan

There were pluses and minuses for both Spirit & Conquest classes. I liked the Pride a lot mainly because you could walk from bow to stern without a restaurant, center ship, forcing you up or down a deck. The Freedom & Glory confounded me ALL the time trying to get to dinner each night. I like Freedom's & Glory's large TV screen. Several late afternoon's we would grab a bite and watch whatever was playing up there. I like Freedom's & Glory's Fish 'n Chips, especially the Bouillabaisse soup. (not found on the Pride) I like Pride's Aft adult area (now Serenity) this is close to food AND drink. On Glory & Freedom, Serenity is on deck 12 forward, away from food.

Finally I like Pride because it's in Baltimore, only 70 or so miles from home!

Oliver

Just read your review and it was quite enjoyable. You were very lucky St. Johns and Halifax were both fog free and not rainy. As you probably noticed by now most of us northeners take the Canada cruise several times as it takes that many visits to see both ports at their full potential. :)

I had read many, many reviews prior to our sailing telling of rainy and/or foggy stops in Canada. I was actually quite concerned about this. So we were all very very very happy to get to enjoy all these ports with no adverse weather to contend with.

I'm so glad we did this cruise as we were never planning on cruising this year due to other family commitments. This was a great opportunity to step away from the more traditional beach-warm-caribbean type cruise and get to see parts of the US & Canada that I would of never thought of visiting in the first place.

Oliver

P.S. I hope you had a chance to watch the video too?

I am debating whether to take a land based vacation or a cruise.

Could you share which ones were your favorite ports? Do you think a short cruise, such as a 5-nighter to Halifax and St John is worth it?

Thanks! :)

I really loved ALL the ports. (Boston, Portland, St Johns, & Halifax) I have visited Boston several times, but had never been to any of the others. I am a big fan of Boston. A friendly, clean enjoyable city. That being said, I loved St. Johns & Halifax. Some of the nicest and friendliest Canadian folks I have ever met anywhere.

So, would a 5 nighter be worth it? Sure, go for it! But.... if you can do the 7 nighter, you wouldn't be disappointed.

And for what it's worth, I often tell folks who have never cruised before that I believe cruising is one of the best bargains (money wise) one can take as a vacation. There are not many other options where one can have almost all the food you can eat, decent entertainment, a "hotel" room with Free room service, pools, lounging, etc etc etc. Plus travel to beach ports, city ports, or private island ports. All for a reasonable price. And If you are fortunate to live within driving distance to a port, NO FLYING!

Oliver

So, would a 5 nighter be worth it? Sure, go for it! But.... if you can do the 7 nighter, you wouldn't be disappointed.

And for what it's worth, I often tell folks who have never cruised before that I believe cruising is one of the best bargains (money wise) one can take as a vacation. There are not many other options where one can have almost all the food you can eat, decent entertainment, a "hotel" room with Free room service, pools, lounging, etc etc etc. Plus travel to beach ports, city ports, or private island ports. All for a reasonable price. And If you are fortunate to live within driving distance to a port, NO FLYING!

Oliver

Amen, Oliver! What I love is unpacking at the beginning of the cruise and not having to re-pack until the end - and in between, you get everything you mentioned. And if you want to spend more (photos, steakhouse, etc.), you can. But you don't have to.

As for the 5-day cruise - I'm spoiled, I love the longer cruises, but the 5-day is a relaxing getaway. It's always been worthwhile to us. We have a 7-day booked on Pride in July, but I'm thinking of adding a 5-day Canada cruise in August....:)

Amen, Oliver! What I love is unpacking at the beginning of the cruise and not having to re-pack until the end - and in between, you get everything you mentioned. And if you want to spend more (photos, steakhouse, etc.), you can. But you don't have to.

As for the 5-day cruise - I'm spoiled, I love the longer cruises, but the 5-day is a relaxing getaway. It's always been worthwhile to us. We have a 7-day booked on Pride in July, but I'm thinking of adding a 5-day Canada cruise in August....:)

We are also sailing the Pride (in November) what is your itinerary?

I love sailing out of Baltimore. Love the ride down the Bay.

Oliver

We are also sailing the Pride (in November) what is your itinerary?

I love sailing out of Baltimore. Love the ride down the Bay.

Oliver

We're doing GT, HMC and Freeport. We're hoping to spend a day or so on Baltimore before or after the cruise - DH wants to see the B&O Railway Museum. The Bay is a great cruise - we did it in July 2010 and had a great time.

We're doing GT, HMC and Freeport. We're hoping to spend a day or so on Baltimore before or after the cruise - DH wants to see the B&O Railway Museum. The Bay is a great cruise - we did it in July 2010 and had a great time.

We are also doing that itinerary in Nov. Managed to snag 6232 (the extra long balcony) We are traveling with 3 other couples, all lined up in a row.

Oliver

• 2 months later...

Archived