Is Royal Charging for Soft Serve Ice Cream???????????????

This may be just a rumor, but I had heard that RCCL was starting to charge for the soft serve ice cream -- now REMEMBER I SAID THIS MAY BE A RUMOR. I was last on a Royal ship (Explorer of the Seas) in Aug and they were not charging, but heard they were now. Can someone who HAS been on one of the ships recently please confirm this either way.

JUST LOOKING FOR CONFIRMATION, NOT TRYING TO START ANY BAD RUMORS

I e-mailed RCCL directly to ask if Sprinkles is gone (the soft serve on the prominade.) The reply I got was - Yes, Sprinkles is gone but there is Ben and Jerry's for a charge. You can still get soft serve in the WindJammer for no charge.

I'm mildly disturbed with the whole B&J thing. It's overpriced and I'm wondering with all these "additional" fees, when will cruising become NOT all inclusive? Also, my entire family is a little intolerant to rich things, especially ice cream like Hershey's, Maggie Moo's, and Ben and Jerry's. The soft serve was a LOT better IMHO, but they're not making money on soft serve and are making money on Ben and Jerry's... so I go with the flow and don't let it upset a perfectly good cruise, (and climb a few extra steps for my ice cream. :D )

Hope that helps. :) Enjoy whichever ice cream you choose. I've also heard (again, hearsay) that you can order soft serve right to your room for no additional charge other than a dollar or so tip...

On Splendour 2/26 N/C. Self-serv frozen yogert machine just outside Windjammer available almost 24/7. Closed a few hrs for cleaning. Machine always worked and never out of cones.

There was a locked freezer chest in vicinity w/premium ice cream & bartender would serv. They were not hand dipped type, but the novelty type such as ice cream bars, sandwiches, etc.....Don't think many were sold, at least I never saw any....

Happy cruising....

Thanks for the info, now it makes since. There is good news and bad news in your answers, the good news SOFT SERVED ICE CREAM ON RCCL. The bad news, it's GOOD and that means another 2-4 lbs per cruise added weight.

Thanks for the info, now it makes since. There is good news and bad news in your answers, the good news SOFT SERVED ICE CREAM ON RCCL. The bad news, it's GOOD and that means another 2-4 lbs per cruise added weight.

Its actually frozen yogurt, so not quite as bad on your weight.

I e-mailed RCCL directly to ask if Sprinkles is gone (the soft serve on the prominade.) The reply I got was - Yes, Sprinkles is gone but there is Ben and Jerry's for a charge. You can still get soft serve in the WindJammer for no charge.

I'm mildly disturbed with the whole B&J thing. It's overpriced and I'm wondering with all these "additional" fees, when will cruising become NOT all inclusive?

When we were on the Golden Princess in '02 they had a Haagen Dazz. They also charged for the ice cream. So I'm not surprised RCI is doing the same with B&J. But I really don't mind. I'm not forced to get ice cream, or eat at Johnny Rockets, plus in my earlier cruising days there weren't things like that on board anyway.

Lots are complaining about added fees, charging for things that used to be "free", etc. I have no problem with the fees because it seems to me that they are keeping the basic cruise fares reasonable. I would rather have it be "pay as you go" for these extras so that only those that use them pay for them. One unwanted alternative would be that they include the fees in the fare which would impact everyone's ability to cruise.

I disagree, the cruise prices have went up recently on top of the extra fees.

Actually, cruise prices are only now starting to reach their pre-911 levels. So basically we had a 4-year hiatus from price increases which compared to the standard COLA makes it cheaper in relative dollars. Trying to compare prices after the industry was overcompensating to get people cruising again after the 9/11 terrorist attack is not realistic. We'll see how much they adjust the cost of cruising in the next 2-3 years to see if prices rise more than necessary (although it is a supply and demand issue with cruise lines trying to make up the lost profit margins during the cruise depression).

Archived