Leaving a Tot behind

4THELOVEOFBOO

I am a stay at home mom of a amost 3 year old and a almost 2 year old ( they are 11 months apart!) Boys...so I have my hands FULL! And being they are very mobile they are all over the place! So I couldn't imagine taking them on a cruise.

We decided after not having a honey moon or real vacation, having babies and dealing with day to day life. We truly needed a vacation! So we were gonna go here and go there and we said you know what let's go on a criuse! I loved boats and being on the water and my huband is a sailor and loves being on a a ship and being he's explored a lot of the world and the farthest I have been off the main land was hawaii. So we booked a cruise the perk is that his my inlaws live in FL about 25 minutes from Port Canaveral. So being they only get to see their grand kids maybe a few times a year (we live in Va) they had no problem taking them for the week!

I wasn't on edge about leaving them, as they had stayed with my in laws for a month at least once a year.

But when we left for our trip my youngest had already been there in FL for a month! I missed him dearly BUT it was nice to have a semi brake. When we got to FL we had one day with inbetween to spend with him I felt bad because when he saw me the next morning after he got up, he ran to me and never left my side the whole day. So next morning we left way before they got up. I don't know who would have been more upset me or the kids. Probably me lol! Usually they are okay with me leaving!

Once we got on the ship and chilled out I didn't feel so bad. I told myself we deserved it. The same night they had a dance off in the night club and funship Freddie, some kids and parents we're dancing. We sat down and watched them and both off us started missing our little ones. But knew once they were older that WE would be those goober parents out ther making them shake their heads lol!

But we decided to get the smallest internet package and write on my inlaws facebook and when we got to port and there was free wifi, we used our smartphones on the wifi setting to call and check up on them.

But I knew they were and good hands and I knew me and the hubby needed this vacation. And we had a blast and will be going again in May.

As a mom you always have that sence of guilt that you leaving them behind, but really kids need a vacation from their parents too! Being a stay at home mom is tough.

I love my kids more than anything, but somtimes mommy need a break too!

I hope you have a great cruise. You deserve it momma ;)

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using

Tapatalk

I am leaving in two weeks, i am very excited about our cruise but nervous to leave my 3 year old. I know that he is in good hands with my parents but just feeling a little anxious leaving him. Anyone leave young children behind before and does the anxiety go away when your on vaca???

As a non-child-having-human, allow me to buck the trend and say, of course you're nervous. Because you're a parent. And some inherent part of you is always on edge that something's going to happen to your kid while he is in someone else's care. It's perfectly normal. Will it go away? Probably never entirely. But it should calm down sufficiently to allow you to enjoy your trip. If not, they make medication for that.

When I was a kid, my parents went away all the time... hmmm I guess to get a way from 4 kids (actually my dad's job allowed him to win lots of trips which companies don't do as much now).

She would leave us a bag of goodies - a present for each day to open if we were good. I'm sure she had fun purchasing the daily surprises. And it was fun for us to tell my mom what we got that day. And it was a good bribe for who was watching us - that we couldn't open if we were not good.

GAhhhh...I am dealing with this now. My 2yr old daughter will be staying home with my mom, except on days she is working then my IL's will have her. We are taking our 8 yr old with us.

We have left our son with the same arrangements set above and yes I had the guilty feelings, but knew he was excited to spend time with grandma as they just have a blast! He was 4 and 'understood' that we will be back in so many days. With DD, I am having trouble dealing with how she will feel!!

With DS I made a simple calendar on the computer for the days we would be gone. On travel days I had an airplane and noted that we would call this day. During the cruise I just had pictures and noted that no phone calls would be made, but had a cute little craft set up or tickets to a movie pre purchased for my mom to do with him. When we docked I had where we were and of course that we would call. He REALLY liked this!!! And today he will talk a little about it.

Being my daughter is much younger..I think I will still make a calendar, but more simple for a toddler. I have been keeping my eye out for cheap/clearnced things I know she likes. I plan to have them wrapped up and on days my mom feels she is being extra clingy or is asking for mom or dad she will have something to help take her mind off things. I think bedtime will be more of a struggle so I have also purchased new jammies..she is obsessed with princesses and Dora so I'm hoping this will help.

Am I going overboard with gifts and whatnot?...Probably! But it makes ME feel better about leaving her for 13 days!

I am leaving in two weeks, i am very excited about our cruise but nervous to leave my 3 year old. I know that he is in good hands with my parents but just feeling a little anxious leaving him. Anyone leave young children behind before and does the anxiety go away when your on vaca???

we left our then 2 year old home for a 5 day cruise. our hearts were broken the whole time.

we never cruise without our kids any longer.

It wasn't for a cruise, but I had to work some killer hours (like 12/14 hour days for nine days to make a deadline at work -- I work in IT). Knew DH wouldn't be thrilled being a single parent for nine day // called my mom to see if she'd be able to help, and she called me back a few hour later. They arranged a nine day trip // My mom and my dad took my five year old with my aunt and uncle on a nine day trip to the Poconos.

She flew in to get him and I thought I'd feel so guilty and my son would start crying, but no, he said, "Ha Ha mommy -- you have to work, but I'm going on vacation with grandma and grandpa." That really took my anxiety away. And their enthusiastic calls and hearing from him about what they were doing and their excitement let me concentrate on my work without concern. My parents and aunt and uncle just loved it -- having him without us meant greater bonding and him coming to them for things that normally he'd come to us for if we were around. And he just got soo close to them. My aunt absolutely loved it when he would forget and call her grandma too. Just saying grandchild / grandparents relationships are so special and actually get so much closer with one on one time without mom and dad around.

My son now regularly spends a few long weekends and at least one week a year visiting his grandparents without us. He and my parents have such a great time. It's soo cool to see what a special relationship your kid can have with your parents.

I have to admit our kids are all grown and have made me a grandpa. But we have three other "kids" at home we worry just as much about. They're our Pembroke Welsh corgi's. They're our kids, not our pets. Three years ago, we had boarded the ship in Miami and had just gotten to our cabin when my wife's cell rang. It was our housesitter. One of the dogs, Bailey, had tweaked his ACL playing ball and the housesitter was calling to tell us she was going to take him to the vet. My wife was ready to leave the ship and catch the first flight home to be with him. I talked her out of it, thank heavens, but that's how much they mean to us. You'll be fine. The child will be fine. Grandpa and Grandma will be fine - a bit more white haired when you return, perhaps, but nonetheless. . . Enjoy! Don't worry.

Shoot, every time my DH and I were on vacation or even just overnight away from the kids, we were talking about the kids - oh, this one would love this, that one would really like that.

Still do it, and the "baby" is 27. In fact, in Yosemite just last month, we felt the need to take a picture of some construction equipment for the son who has always been enamoured of that sort of thing. He's 31. :rolleyes:

Am I going overboard with gifts and whatnot?...Probably! But it makes ME feel better about leaving her for 13 days!

LOL..You hit the nail on the head! The kids are always fine...it's the parents that are basket cases :D

Archived