Drury Inn - thumbs up!

hlb76

We stayed at the Drury Inn last weekend (10/15 & 10/16) pre- cruise. We got into town early around noon and headed to the hotel to see if by chance we could check in early or at least hold our bags. There where 8 of us traveling and we had resevered 2 rooms. Our friends where able to get into a room right away we where offered a room on another floor or where told we could wait til check in time for our room to be ready. We decided to wait as we wanted to be near our friends. They got checked in and we stored all of the luggage in there room. And where off to enjoy our day. When we got back at 5ish our room was still not ready. We where upset not gonna lie we where told it would be ready by 3 and the front desk ppl contacted housekeeping to have our room done next. Well this did not happen. They took our number and promised to call as soon as it was ready. We headed back up to our friends room and it was soon after our room was ready. This was our only issue our whole stay!

The rooms where great our friends had a street veiw- big beautiful windows lots of light but with that there was a fair share of noise.

We had a two room suite. The room was great and plenty of room for us to hang out in. We opted for no street veiw and had one small window but it was plenty as we where not in the room much anyway. The rooms all have high ceilings and where well kept.

The hotel it's self was beautiful! The breakfast was good other than the overly runny gravy for biscuits. The drinks at night where good even on the strong side. The kick backs where fine as well. We made do just fine and it was great to save the cost of 2 meals. The kids loved the free pop in the lobby - well I admit I liked it too. The only con I had to this was there where some kids hanging outside the hotel enjoying the pop as well. They did not cause any real issues other than loitering around.

The pool on top was small but worked fine for what we needed. The hot tub small but we made do. We where lucky to have a blues festival going on near by so it was quite enjoyable to sit relax in the pool/hot tub and hear the music in the back ground.

The location was great as well. Short walk to the FQ and Riverwalk but it is on the St Charles line if you rather catch a ride.

There where a few cons though...

The wait for us to get our room

the noise from the street

pool closes at 10 which seemed early on a weekend

you need to use a room key to work the elavators - I enjoyed this security but it was a pain

Pros...

friendly staff

free food and drinks

nice pool

security

free use of computers and printer

coin laundry

nice lounge area in lobby

Would I stay here again? In a heart beat!! Even with the rough start it was a great place to stay!!

:cool:HOW FAR WAS THE CRUISE PORT FROM THIS HOTEL WHAT DID A TAXI COST?? ALSO HOW FAR AND TAXI COST FROM THE AIRPORT?? HOW FAR TO THE FRENCH QUARTER AND WAS TRANSPORTATION AVAILABLE??? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED AS THIS WILL BE OUR FIRST TRIP TO NEW ORLEANS THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY INFO:)

:cool:HOW FAR WAS THE CRUISE PORT FROM THIS HOTEL WHAT DID A TAXI COST?? It took prob less than 10 mins but I was not paying much attention. Rates are state regulated and it's $7 per person from hotel to sea port. We had the hotel line us up rides and it worked out great! 8 of us in 2 mini vans!

ALSO HOW FAR AND TAXI COST FROM THE AIRPORT?? Prior to heading to NOLA we used limos.com to arrange a van for all 8 of us. I think it was like $86 which included a tip. So not sure about taxi rates. Thinks $14 per person from what I have read.

HOW FAR TO THE FRENCH QUARTER AND WAS TRANSPORTATION AVAILABLE??? Depends on where you want to go. There is a streetcar on the corner of the block that will take you to Canal Street. It is about a 3 block trip. We walked all the way down to Royal St to meet a tour and it took us maybe 20 mins. But we took our time. I did not feel it was a bad walk.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED AS THIS WILL BE OUR FIRST TRIP TO NEW ORLEANS THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY INFO:)

I answered above. We really liked the location and hotel. We had never been to Nola before either. We walked to the D-day muesum with not problems one day and from there to the Riverwalk and back to the hotel. By the time we headed back we where getting tired but we had walked all through the muesum, river walk and such. The Riverwalk is a small jaunt but not a bad walk. Once again you could use the streetcars to get there with little problem if you dont care to walk. Our second day we walked to the FQ to meet a tour then all the way up through some on the cemeteries, down to the flea market, over to Jackson Square and back to the hotel. This day was a little harder on us but we wanted to fit it all in! Mothers resteruant is just down the street from the hotel and I want to go back to NOLA just to eat there again. The Ferdi was AMAZING! (google Mothers) We also hoped on the St Charles street car and rode it out of town. That was a neat trip!!! I recommend that too. Get your day pass though! $3 a person well spent

I answered above. We really liked the location and hotel. We had never been to Nola before either. We walked to the D-day muesum with not problems one day and from there to the Riverwalk and back to the hotel. By the time we headed back we where getting tired but we had walked all through the muesum, river walk and such. The Riverwalk is a small jaunt but not a bad walk. Once again you could use the streetcars to get there with little problem if you dont care to walk. Our second day we walked to the FQ to meet a tour then all the way up through some on the cemeteries, down to the flea market, over to Jackson Square and back to the hotel. This day was a little harder on us but we wanted to fit it all in! Mothers resteruant is just down the street from the hotel and I want to go back to NOLA just to eat there again. The Ferdi was AMAZING! (google Mothers) We also hoped on the St Charles street car and rode it out of town. That was a neat trip!!! I recommend that too. Get your day pass though! $3 a person well spent

I was wondering what transportation you ended up using from the airport to the hotel. We also have 8 in our party. We are also staying at the Drury. I am taking it your experience was good with limos.com since you didn't say otherwise. Was there plenty of room for all your luggage? What kind of car was it?

Thanks for the information.

I was wondering what transportation you ended up using from the airport to the hotel. We also have 8 in our party. We are also staying at the Drury. I am taking it your experience was good with limos.com since you didn't say otherwise. Was there plenty of room for all your luggage? What kind of car was it?

Thanks for the information.

I did not book the limo.com my friend did but I think it went ok. They where waiting for us by baggage claim with a sign w/ our name on it. They took us out to a bus type thing think they called it a limo bus. Very comfortable ride and yes room for all of our luggage in the back.

Is there a particular reason you chose Drury over Hampton Inn convention center? Hampton Inn has a shuttle to the port.

location and price. Drury was cheaper and located better to where we wanted to be.

Archived