Tring to decide between Roatan and Belize

markcruising

Hi all,

I've a choice between two Costa cruises, and while I've done about dozens of different Caribbean cruises, I've just never done Honduras before. I can choose between two dates, one on Roatan and one at Belize.

Can any of you who may have done both help me make up my mind as to which one would be the best for me?

44 years old, traveling alone, unexpected free cruise, I love everything in the Caribbean , love the shopping of Cozumel , the beaches of the Turks, stingrays on Caymans, city of San Juan.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks!

Mark

lots of ruins in Belize to see if you are interested!

i had a better time in Belize seeing ruins then i did in Roatan on a city tour that ended up at the beach.

Thanks, I guess I'm also interested in knowing which one has more shipping and is more urban. I'm going to assume Belize, is it friendly? I'm told Roatan is pretty much a cruise port and a tourist centre.

Thanks again!

( sorry for the screwy headline)

We did both last month. We enjoyed both ports, but LOVED the cave tubing in Belize. You can't do that in Roatan. If that sounds fun to you, I highly recommend it. If not there may be other factors to consider. Roatan is more beautiful, the picture of a tropical island, and it is easier to get on and off the ship (no tender). Belize City is definitely more "urban", but I don't know if there is much worth seeing or doing in the city.

I recommend going through the cruise ship's excursion options and deciding which activity sounds the most fun. Then book it with a reputable independent operator. Neither port is great for exploring completely on your own.

I found another itinerary that does both Roatan and Belize on the same ship just 10 days later and leaves off Grand Cayman which I can say I've done at least 40 times and love, but can without a doubt pass in favour of having my cake and eating it too.

Yay!!:D

Archived