Does the upgrade fairy still exist?

jmjpro

Setting sail in 2 days! Going to Eastern Caribbean this time. Went on Liberty last time in April to Western Caribbean. The 10 day weather map looks bleak but warm rain is better than cold New England Rain. :)

Anybody else doing the Liberty this weekend?

In keeping in line with the theme, I don't think the upgrades are anything to write home about. Sometimes getting a past cruiser discount is better than the upgrade.

Me and the wife booked a cruise in late august, wanted a outside w/ possible obstructed view,we did not pick a specific cabin.

the next day we got our cabin assignment- outside cabin, no obstructed view. the cabin was located just about mid-ship. the up-grade fairy had come through:)

four days before our cruise we received an e-mail with another upgrade;

a balcony cabin:):) What luck the upgrade fairy had visited us again!! I reprinted our luggage tags and boarding passes and completed packing the luggage.

The morning before we were to leave my wife awoke to the room spinning,and she had was dizzy and had trouble standing up,etc. A quick trip to the doctor and she was told she was suffering from vertigo,she would need additional tests to rule out any serious issues that may be causing it.:(

Common sense that being on a ship at sea would make the condition worse;and heeding advice from the doctor,we went home and canceled the cruise.:eek:

Fast forward three weeks after testing and additional doctor visits-wife is feeling better each day:) -attack was most likely caused by a virus.

Trip insurance, don't leave home without it!

We feel that the upgrade fairy does exist, and we were lucky; however the best luck of is that My Wife's sickness was not of a more serious nature.

Four times I have booked a catagory guarantee on Carnival. My first 2 I got a one catagory upgrade. The third time I went form a balcony guarantee to a penthouse suite. My next cruise (in 10 days) I booked a balcony guarantee and got upgraded to an extended balcony on the rear of the ship.

I have never got an upgrade from Princess and only advertised upgrades on NCL.

Been on almost 30 cruises- about mid-level on each past passenger program. On our first princess 2 years ago (to Alaska) got upgraded from balcony to mini-suite- just noticed a few days before when I went to print e-docs. However, last year on NCL- up-sell fairy came through! To Penthouse Suite on 10 day baltic! Now I'm forever spoiled- hoping for a call for Dec NCL cruise... Anyone know if different lines have different policies? Also, better to book yourself or through TA? Baltic I booked direct through NCL- this is through TA. She has us on priority list, but...

Aside from a very nice upgrade from a guarantee on HAL coming up, I've never had any upgrades or upsells. However, I jump around cruise lines, since I care about the ports more than the ship experience so am unlikely ever to build up any large number of loyalty points.

Am taking the same cruise(Panama Canal in April) with the guaranteed rate. Wondering what kind of upgrade they offered. We are in VF.

I have never expected an upgrade, so I don't get disappointed, however, the upsell fairy paid me an awesome visit, and I am so grateful! Went from an Inside to a Balcony for $70 total on a 7 day!

We got a call today and went from an inside to a Balcony for $100 total on a 7 day leaving in 9 days! I was soooo excited!!!

Yes Friends..the Upgrade Fairy still exist! She did however due to hard economic times decide it best that she "reinvent herself" to maintain and or improve her Quality of Life.

She started with a name change.....in this case she changed her first name from Upgrade to Upsell!!

Taking tips from some folks in the "worlds oldest profession"

one of the first things they taught her: never give away anything that you can sell...

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

You can't blame her for tring to make a buck!!!;)

Yes Friends..the Upgrade Fairy still exist! She did however due to hard economic times decide it best that she "reinvent herself" to maintain and or improve her Quality of Life.

She started with a name change.....in this case she changed her first name from Upgrade to Upsell!!

Taking tips from some folks in the "worlds oldest profession"

one of the first things they taught her: never give away anything that you can sell...

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

You can't blame her for tring to make a buck!!!

Booked a balcony cabin on SPLENDOR for a sailing in September '09 - got a call a week or so later offering an upgrade (up-sell) to a suite for $100.00 per person additional. Took offer - may never forgive CARNIVAL. Next cruise was ocean view Riviera deck on ELATION (Ocean Players Club perk) - nice cabin but seemed like a closet compared to suite. Booked on SPIRIT December 2011 - Vista Suite! CARNIVAL version of how you goin' to return to "cramped" quarters once you experienced what spacious is!

Had a lovely upgrade on Disney Wonder. New mid-ship balcony room was lovely.

Too bad we were never in it! Since then, I always ask myself, "Self, how much time are you going to spend in that room?"

Since then, we just book what we need, kick back, and CRUISE!

We are about to go on our 7th cruise & this is the first with Princess. We booked a guarantee ocean view obstructed. Within 3 days an email came telling us we were upgraded to full ocean view room & with the deck level in this, I called on pricing & they said what we were upgraded to was double what we paid for. So we are quite happy with this upgrade & our first time to sail Princess. I figure we can't beat that!!!:)

never been offered an upgrade but have never fretted because i book the category i want anyway. was offered an upsell on a transatlantic cruise but it was 60% more than what i was already paying per person and i did not feel that was worth it.

i don't blame people for going after an upsell when the price and cabin elevation is so enticing; go for it!

23 cruises and 3 upgrades. 14 categories on Princess, inside guarantee to outside obstructed view on Carnival and, best of all, inside guanantee to extended balcony mini-suite on back of the ship on RCCL for European cruise. Not had one for awhile though.

I was talking to my real estate broker, who cruises twice a year and he was telling me that he has his TA have him available for last minute cancellations and that last year he traveled on a 12 day tour out of San Juan, airfare included for $600 per person. In early December, when apparently good deals are legendary.

Last year, we had booked a Panama Canal cruise on Celebrity's Infinity. We got on board and went to the cabin we had reserved, but someone had already left their luggage inside. We complained to a cabin attendant, and showed him our paperwork, but he said, "No, your cabin is down the hall." It turned out they had upgraded us to a Royal Suite. We couldn't believe it, and didn't unpack for the first day, afraid that they had made a mistake and would come and take us back to the Concierge Class cabin we had ordered. The Royal Suite was fabulous, and we have no idea why we got the upgrade. It came with all the amenities intended for the top level of the Captain's Club, which we had not yet attained, including free wi-fi, laundry, free nightly drinks in Michael's Club, etc. It was only our fifth cruise on Celebrity, so we weren't upgraded because we were such loyal customers. There is definitely an upgrade fairy!! At least for us. Hopefully she will appear again.

I got my first upsell call last night. I'm going on the Inspiration end of November. I'm in an OV. He "offered" me a jr. suite for $550 more. I told him I'd pay $50 more. No dice. Oh well. It's Inspirations last trip out of Tampa. That would have been $1200 for a 5 day! $240 a day!

I was talking to my real estate broker, who cruises twice a year and he was telling me that he has his TA have him available for last minute cancellations and that last year he traveled on a 12 day tour out of San Juan, airfare included for $600 per person. In early December, when apparently good deals are legendary.

I want that TA!

The only time I got an upgrade was when I booked directly with an agent from the cruise line. I asked about the upgrades.

I paid for an inside but not at the lowest advertized price. The agent advised me that I could have more chances if I paid a category above. He did insist that it wasn't a given...but it worked!!!

We got an oceanview. We were happy!! Should mention this was 7 years ago.

Archived