Cave tubing water temperature...

maddrummerboy

Hi I just got back & the water was cool and refreshing. Nothing ice cold freezing at all. Plus really the only thing in the water is your butt and legs from the knee down. It was really nice & refreshing on our hot day.

We were there last week also with xtreme. It was very hot and Thomas our guide had us get wet in a deeper part of the river before we hiked up the trail. The water was crystal clear and very refreshing. If we hadn't gotten wet first the walk in the heat would have been unbearable.

Also, it is a very strenuous excursion. Beware to anyone not physically fit. My husband who is 215 lbs was very uncomfortable in the tube trying to lay horizontally to avoid his butt scraping on the rocks. You have to paddle backwards and you get a good upper body workout! Meal for $5 was awesome and welcome after our tour.

I wasn't watching where I was paddling (hard when you're paddling backwards) and ran into the side of the cave with my elbow! After reading all the posts about snakes i was very leary about being in the dark and not being able to see what was in the water!! That was a little unnerving. Would I do it again? Only if I was going with someone who was intent on doing it. If I go to Belize again I'll probably do a snorkeling excursion.

I took a group of 8 kids cave tubing with Yhony Rosado from

cave-tubing.com on March 29th, 2005. Though our ship docked late and we didn't get to the pier until 3:20 P.M., Yhony agreed to take us anyway! The water was cool and refreshing, not cold. All 8 kids (most of them jaded teenagers) had the time of their lives. For our group of 9, we had 2 guides. They were very knowledgeable about Belize and answered all of our questions. The path through the jungle is wide and clear (lots of rocks and tree trunks, but no debris). If there had been a snake, we would have seen it in plenty of time to get out of the way. Well worth the $45 we paid for the experience! Email me with any questions at ejverbos@hotmail.com.

Like someone up above, my husband and I also did the cave tubing on the 30th. I had been really apprehensive about it because of the warnings about cold temps in the cave. I HATE COLD:) but will tell you you have nothing to worry about. The water temp is about 73 and the air temp in the cave a little warmer. The day was really hot (mid 90's) and the water was so refreshing. Be careful about keeping your BUTTS UP (you'll hear this a lot because the water is really shallow in places). This excursion was one of the highlights of our cruise. The only downer is that the walk in is done very quickly without any time to enjoy the scenery. Have fun!;)

I'll be going to Belize April of next year and we're going with some people who are interested in the caves. Only problem is that he can't swim. Can anyone tell me how deep/shallow the river is?

The water is quite shallow which is actually the one problem with this tour. Your butt is constantly banging into rocks. A couple of times, someone ran aground and had to stand up and walk off the rocks and get back in their tube. There are some spots where the water is deeper but unless you do it on purpose, there is no way you will fall off your tube. There is no strong current or anything else that would tip you over. They do give you life jackets but it is up to you if you want to wear them.

Like a few other people who have posted, I also hate to be cold. I actually have a bad thyroid so I'm cold when everyone else is hot. So I was very apprehensive about the temperature. I brought along a swim shirt - a shirt basically made of swimsuit material that I've used when I snorkel. I never had to put it on. I never felt even the slightest bit too cold. The water was definitely cool but very refreshingly so in contrast to the warm air. Even in the caves I wasn't cold. I was very surprised.

I m ay be the minority here, but the water to me was freezing!! I shivered the WHOLE time afterentering the cave and was still shivering once we got back on dry land. The 45 min walk was VERY hot though, so make sure you dip in the water BEFORE the hike! You will be almost completely dry by the time you get to the river!! lol

I would not do cave tubing again. It was very strenous, and I felt rushed. Going backwards the whole way you cant see what is ahead of you. Also, everytime you come up to a "very small rapid" there is always someone who gets stuck and the you bump into them...and start a chain reaction. It is frustrating!! We went with Xtreme on 4/5 and I felt very rushed also. I kept hearing the words "paddle faster, keep up". I was sick of paddling!

we just got back from cave tubing last thurs with wet-n-wild and didn't have any problems! the water was refreshing after the hot and humid walk. we went with my parents and my mother has some hip problems and my dad is overweight and a heavy smoker and neither had problems with the walk. they enjoyed it immensely! we weren't rushed at all and never had to go backwards so we could always see where we were headed. we all hooked onto each other's tubes (there were only 4 in our group) and i was in front and had my feet over our guide's tube while he faced backwards. that way, the 4 of us could see everything and also hear him since he was facing us. it was awesome!!!!!

www.ecotoursbelize.com

I m ay be the minority here, but the water to me was freezing!! I shivered the WHOLE time afterentering the cave and was still shivering once we got back on dry land.

Have no fear, you're not the only one! I went cave tubing last May, and I froze the whole time in the water. My teeth were chattering, my lips were turning blue, and I was covered in goose bumps by the time we came out of the caves. I get cold fairly easily, and I had a hard time enjoying the trip because I was so cold. Of course, the day we went was cloudy, and I had barely broken a sweat by the time we got to the caves. I don't know if I could do that again, whether I wanted to or not. It was a miserable cold, getting out of that water was the best part of the day for me.

Archived