Cave Tubing - "Plus size woman"?

jaycee200

I posted this in response to someone who had mentioned their 70+ yr old mother had done the cave tubing, and was asking people's thoughts on a "plus, plus size woman" doing the cave tubing... Any thoughts?

Repost:

That's great news that your 73 yr old mother was able to do the trip!

Based on yours, or anyone else who may be reading that has done it, I came across a new friend on a message board, who wants to do it, but is fearful she might not be "able" to do it. She said she is about 250 pounds, but can walk just fine, but is just overweight and maybe a little slower of a walker. I asked if she would be able to walk over "uneven" terrain and she said that wouldnt be a problem at all. Her biggest concern is fitting in the tube or fitting in the cave (I told her about the people who have to "lift their rears" for rocks and what not). Anyone have an opinion? Should I tell her to not come?

-Jill

Honey I am a plus sized lady too & I'm happy to help. First off we went with Xtreme Cave tubing. What happens is you will get in a van for an hour ride to the site. You will get your tube, light & then hike for about 45 minutes through the rain forest. I made it but was kinda like "THANK GOODNESS" once the hike was over b/c it was so hot. Actually alot of thinner people were complaining b/c they didn't realize they would hike so far & complained that they thought they would be able to just float along in the caves. You actually will be doing alot of paddling along the way. Don't get me wrong, the caves were beautiful and I do think it's something you should try at least once. I doubt I would do it again, b/c now I can say "been there done that". But the hiking is not fast, you're not going up any major hills & your guide will stop a few times to point out various items in the forest. For me being plus sized I was the first person in our hike line & never felt that I couldn't go on. Hope this helps.

Also she will fit in the tube. She may have a tiny problem in some areas because they tell you to "lift your butt" when the shallow parts come & there is a rush of water that carries you, however whomever gets stuck the guides are great and help pull you right along

Our guide told us that this tour is not recommended for those in EXCESS of 250 pounds. (I'm just repeating what he said because my father is 240lb./111kg.)

His reasons were that the tube might not support the weight, but mostly because at this time of year there are MANY areas where the water is less than 12inches/30cm deep, you are prone to bottoming out a LOT! Just an FYI. (We cave tubed a week ago and it was SHALLOW).

This is a good question to pose to your tour operator and they will best advise you.

Just got back and I am a plus-sized girl. The river was shallow in spots since it is their dry season, but it was great. The hike is somewhat strenuous -very hot -but worth it! The guides are very helpful!

I just did the cave tubing last Friday (4/8) and my cousin who is close to 300 pounds was with us. The hike was not a problem, but the "butts up" areas were. He kept getting stuck, so the guide advised him to get up and walk. I am under 200 lbs., and I even got stuck in many areas.

I was embarrassed that I had to walk through some of the very shallow areas. If she is not worried about "dragging bottom" (literally!) she will be fine. Overall, it was worth a little embarrassment to see the beautiful caves that we experienced! I will do it again, but when the river is a little higher.

Archived