New Divers - Scuba in Aruba

Penguinlo

We are new divers and want to dive on our cruise in Aruba. We are there from 8 AM til 1AM. Since we are new divers, I'm a little concerned about being on a cattle boat. Would you recommend we take the excursion we have booked with the ship, or is there a private dive center you would recommend? I would appreciate any information you could provide. Thanks All!

In Aruba, Redsail is the contract dive operator for most, if not all, the cruise lines. I have heard that they can be a cattle boat, but once read one cruise diver went out on a small boat with only a few divers. If you go with the ships excursion there is a definite chance you will be on a large boat that also has snorkelers on the trip. Yuck.

As new divers, I would go with http://www.pelican-aruba.com/. They have a larger boat, but it wasn't crowded for the afternoon dive. They do a morning 2 tank dive and an afternoon 1 tank, usually on the wreck of the Antilla, the german ship scuttled by her captain in 1940-something. There were 11 divers with 2 guides on a guided tour of the wreck.

If you are fairly confident with your new found diving skills, http://www.divearuba.com/ is a small 6 pack operator that is pretty good. Be sure to let Clive know your experience level and if you need any extra attention.

I've used both of these operator with good results. In fact, Aruba was my very first warm water dive. It was while on a Royal Caribbean cruise with the same itinerary you have.

I have read that other divers have had good experience with http://www.visitaruba.com/uniquesports/, but haven't used them so don't know personally.

I'll bet you are going to Curacao too. The diving is better there, good enough that I'd spend a week there. I went with http://www.caribseasports.com/ and was well treated. I'd recommend them.

I can also recommend Clive and Dive Aruba. He did a resort course for our friend and we all did a shore dive. We were impressed with his intruction and care for our friend. He will watch out for you if you tell him your experience and he will pick you up at the entrance to the cruise terminal. We'll be going back to him next year.

You might try Blue Island Divers - http://www.blueislanddivers.com

I was planning to use them next year when in St. Thomas. They are located at the marina by Crown Bay where HAL docks sometimes and they will pick you up at Havensight so you're covered whereever you are going to dock. I don't have personal experience with them, but I've read positive things over at scubaboard.

Mona

• 1 month later...

We booked with Dive Aruba and Blue Island on our cruise. When we got to Aruba, we were meet by S.E.Aruba Dive and Fly. We were told that Clive had had an accident and he had sent them. They were very nice and there were about 6 of us on the boat. We used Blue Island in St. Thomas and we were the only ones on the boat. They were great! Being a new diver, I was a little nervous. The dive master, James, was very patient with me. I would recommend either of these companies. They treated us very well.

my one-and-only trip to aruba i dove with redsail; as i remember, there were about 15-16 divers on the boat... if that's too much of a cattle-car for you then definitely take some of the other suggestions. but, overall, i am very complimentary about their boat and staff. i would dive with them again.

We booked with Dive Aruba and Blue Island on our cruise. When we got to Aruba, we were meet by S.E.Aruba Dive and Fly. We were told that Clive had had an accident and he had sent them. They were very nice and there were about 6 of us on the boat. We used Blue Island in St. Thomas and we were the only ones on the boat. They were great! Being a new diver, I was a little nervous. The dive master, James, was very patient with me. I would recommend either of these companies. They treated us very well.

Sorry to hear about Clive - hope he is doing well now. Glad to hear you had a good time. Thanks for the confirmation about the quality of Blue Island. We'll definately be going with them on our next cruise. What sort of dive site did your visit in Aruba and St. Thomas?

...sorry. I know we did the Antilla (sp?) and a reef in Aruba. In St. Thomas, we did a dive at some barges that were sunk and at a reef that was something like Sprat (sp?) off of Water Island (?). Sorry, I know I should have remembered, especially since I did not get to dive the reef in St. Thomas and my husband said it was better than the wreck and that St. Thomas was better than Aruba. We would love to go back to St. Thomas to dive again. Hope you have a great time!

Archived