Ultimate Balcony Dining

Modeen

Yep, we agree. We aren't big on sitting with a bunch of strangers at a table - especially at $95 per person!! And there is a chance we aren't in a wine mood that night. I've also seen many of these menu's serve veal. We do not eat veal and do not feel comfortable asking for something different. This just puts us in an awkward situation that we would rather avoid.

Instead, on our next cruise, we are doing the UBD and we are going to sign up for the ultimate ship tour. To each their own.

I think the experience is worth it....the galley tour, tasting all the little appetizers, talking with the executive chef, pastry chef and wine sommelier. In addition to the tour, meal etc you get a group photo, a rose for the ladies and a Princess cookbook. If you don't want wine you can decline and your rate is reduced (I forget by how much). We've done it 3 times as we wanted to compare different ships and we've never been disappointed! We always have lots of OBC so there's no real out of pocket expense. This past summer on the Crown (British Isles) I began chatting with the gentleman next to me and discovered he is a good friend of the father of my boss! What a small world!!

Thank you, ie! I appreciate you explaining. On a related note, I've seen that you can order from the dining room menu as well as room service, some people have said only suites can do that. We're in a balcony but not a suite. Will we still be able to order from the dining room menu?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Years ago, you could ask for room service dinner and they would bring a regular dining room menu and take the order (we were in a balcony then) but that became too much of a hassle, so they have instituted the UBD and charge for the service. I hear that once in a while it is accommodated but I wouldn't count on it.

Did you go down to the Photo Gallery? We went down there and had a choice of several photos.

Doh, we didn't even think about doing this! We just assumed we would have gotten one in our mailbox or something, as the photographer only took one or two shots of us. Oh well. It was still an awesome experience, though! Very much worth the money.

Not that I think this will happen BUT what if it rains or the weather is just nasty on the evening of the UBD is there room enough to pull the table back or eat inside?

We had a balcony on the Caribe deck, and it just started misting/drizzling as our UBD began. Our table was pulled under the covered portion of our balcony, and we were totally fine. I assume that you would be able to cancel or reschedule if it wasn't ok under cover, though!

Not that I think this will happen BUT what if it rains or the weather is just nasty on the evening of the UBD is there room enough to pull the table back or eat inside?

We had ours moved inside when it was just too windy to do it on the balcony. It worked out fine. They just set up the table just inside the balcony door. There was enough room that we didn't feel cramped at all. I plan on doing it again as a christmas present to the wife for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise.

Yep, we agree. We aren't big on sitting with a bunch of strangers at a table - especially at $95 per person!! And there is a chance we aren't in a wine mood that night. I've also seen many of these menu's serve veal. We do not eat veal and do not feel comfortable asking for something different. This just puts us in an awkward situation that we would rather avoid.

Instead, on our next cruise, we are doing the UBD and we are going to sign up for the ultimate ship tour. To each their own.

We did the Chef's table last year, and a couple specified no alcohol, and they said they would lower the cost for them.

Hi,

after getting conflicting answers when I contacted princess in the UK I finally managed to pre pay and book UBD for 2 and was told that I should let the cabin steward know there would be three when choosing the date and then $50 would be added to the shipboard account.

It did take mentioning that CC experience was that 3 or more wouldn't be a problem if booking in the US to get a definitive response !

Hi,

after getting conflicting answers when I contacted princess in the UK I finally managed to pre pay and book UBD for 2 and was told that I should let the cabin steward know there would be three when choosing the date and then $50 would be added to the shipboard account.

It did take mentioning that CC experience was that 3 or more wouldn't be a problem if booking in the US to get a definitive response !

I seem to be getting conflicting answers to most questions asked of Princess in UK. UBD being one of them, where I was told it could only be done once on board. I emailed to say that many people on Cruise Critic had pre-booked by phone. They replied saying sorry for the mis-information and I was able to book by phone. We are 3 people in a suite, but could still only book for 2. Rather silly really.

Archived