jamica bob sled

cary1306

i have done the zipline and dunns river falls trip now looking into bobsled..how fast does it go? had heart surgeory two years ago and back running 5 miles but they say no roller coasters...can i do this??:confused:

The website says no heart conditions, back/neck issues, etc. There are supposedly hand brakes on the cars so you can control the speed yourself. I will be there in 3 weeks, so if no one else has given you a better answer by then, I will get you an update.

• 2 months later...
i have done the zipline and dunns river falls trip now looking into bobsled..how fast does it go? had heart surgeory two years ago and back running 5 miles but they say no roller coasters...can i do this??:confused:

The good news and the bad news:

The bad.....the bobsled was a lot faster than I expected, especially in the turns. It was very exciting and rollercoaster-ish, which may spell trouble for you and your heart.

The good....you can completely control your speed easily with the hand brakes. If you decide to do it you should tell the operator when you get in that you will be going very slow so he can hold off a little before starting the next sled.

The good news and the bad news:

The bad.....the bobsled was a lot faster than I expected, especially in the turns. It was very exciting and rollercoaster-ish, which may spell trouble for you and your heart.

The good....you can completely control your speed easily with the hand brakes. If you decide to do it you should tell the operator when you get in that you will be going very slow so he can hold off a little before starting the next sled.

I agree 100%. If you get nervouse or excited on your own, it won't help matters. But you can go casually slow with the hand breaks. Just pull back on the bars. The ride itself is smooth. Only you know your excitement and anziety levels as well as what makes your heart beat faster. IF you want to see what it looks like at normal speed go to youtube dot com and search jamaica bobsled or mystic mountain bobsled. People have posted videos of themselves going down. It might help you decide.

Just wondering if you did the bobsled in Mystic mountain, did you just take a taxi over or did you use an outside tour? Seems carnival has good rates for this excursion, but we have a party of 6 and some want to do different things and would be on different carnival tours, this won't work. Not sure of which to use. Thanks for any advice.

We were looking at this on the Carnival Excursion list - but here is the thing:

- Dunns Falls and Skyrider is $63 I believe.

- Dunns Falls and bobsled is $58 or $59, but you have to go on the skyrider to get to the bobsled and then take the skyrider back down (have no idea why this is cheaper?)

So i am thinking - get the bobsled tour and if you decide not to go on it - no loss - just take the skyrider back to the bottom.

I am really sad.. I just wrote this really really long and funny answer about our day and when it went to post it said that I wasn't logged in but I was. :(

Here goes but now you get the short version. When we went we booked through carnival for just the sled and sky explorer for around $65. On the way there the driver said if you wanted to add Dunn's he could work a deal out with us when we got back from enjoying MM. We rode the sled extra....5 rides for $40 and they do not all have to be used by 1 person.

After riding the sky explorer back down, a driver asked us if we were going back to the ship or would like to add on Dunns. We did not add it on so we have no clue what the price was. People near us chose to and were taken to a different spot to wait for a shuttle.

We got back to port after a 5 minute ride (we docked just west of the normal pier due to the waves or ????) dropped our things off and went back into OR. We got a driver....$3pp to take us to Ocho Rios Jerk Center....yum! Then we asked about shopping..he took us to Taj Mahal for a bit. Liquor at MM was $29.50, but at TJ it was $18.50---so don't buy to much at MM if your heading into town for shopping...they've got you stuck! Just wish there were more Jamaican owners at TJ.

Sorry....couldn't get back the long version....it was several paragraphs. If you need more specifics let me know. BTW--MM was to the right of where we docked by about 2-3 miles and right about 1-2 to the left with TJ just another quarter mile after that.

Yeah that is weird with the pricing. I'd go on it if I had the chance..it was fun! Just hold onto the bars to keep yourself slowed down. The bar brakes work really well so don't fret with the speed.

Yes, we booked through Carnival...and it was the Carnival shuttle drivers that said we could add on the Falls. If your doing the falls and the sky explorer....really you should have time to ride the sled once I'd think.....but only if your docked in OR. With the length of ride from MoBay, I'd be nervous...that's our current dilemma.

We rode the sled extra....5 rides for $40 and they do not all have to be used by 1 person.

Thanks for the info nutcase!

So does just one ride come with the Carnival Tour? And how much time did they give you up on the mountain? Would the infinity pool be worth spending time at? We have some kids and teenagers in our group.

Thanks for the info nutcase!

So does just one ride come with the Carnival Tour? And how much time did they give you up on the mountain? Would the infinity pool be worth spending time at? We have some kids and teenagers in our group.

The pool is really small, but no one was in it. The people who are waiting in line are right next to the pool, but behind a fence and on the other side of the track. There are no loungers, but there are like 3 wrought iron tables with 4 chairs each by them. If you've always wanted to sit in an infinity pool, or are waiting for others to ride the zip or sled, it'd be a nice place to hang I suppose. Kid are kids...they'll make the best of everything. A spinning tide/whirlpool at the bottom of the water slide won't deter teenagers. I'm sure they'll have a blast either way.

Only one ride with the Carnival Tour, yes. But you can purchase more!

As for the time, they said "when your ready to leave just come back here and find us." (where they dropped us off) So, no time limit was given. I know they sometimes do the Dunn's/sled in reverse order so I imagine they run the shuttles all day until the boat is moving away from the dock. We spent at most 2 hours there and about a half hour of it was shopping. Of course, we didn't read ALL the info on the sled team....as I was only interested in the sled. :D

Please keep in mind, we docked in Ocho Rios, NOT Montego Bay....time may be of the issue then!

If you go to rainforestadventure dot com, you can see a few pictures. Just make sure you are looking at the Jamaica one for Mystic Mountain...I think the link will take you to that site specifically, but I can't remember. You can also google mystic mountain jamaica but do it as an image search and you will find alot of pictures. Tripadvisor user submitted photos may as well. Have fun and bring extra $$ for the sled. Once isn't enough! ;)

My 80 year old mother did the bobsled with us in 2009, she did fine, used the handbreaks and went slow (she thought she was flying..lol).....it was great fun. I had the breaks pushed full forward trying to go as fast as it would let me, wasn't that fast....and I am a 50 year old female wimp....

Only one ride with the Carnival Tour, yes. But you can purchase more!

As for the time, they said "when your ready to leave just come back here and find us." (where they dropped us off) So, no time limit was given. I know they sometimes do the Dunn's/sled in reverse order so I imagine they run the shuttles all day until the boat is moving away from the dock. We spent at most 2 hours there and about a half hour of it was shopping. Of course, we didn't read ALL the info on the sled team....as I was only interested in the sled. :D

Please keep in mind, we docked in Ocho Rios, NOT Montego Bay....time may be of the issue then!

;)

Thanks again - we dock in Ocho rios, so not a problem.

I wondered how they handled a ship excursion where they say you get as much time as you need - shuttles ... good to know.

Just wondering? ... do you ride the skyrider up the hill and the bobsled back to the bottom, or do you take the skyrider both ways and the pool and bobsled are attractions at the top?

Thanks, Mary

Thanks again - we dock in Ocho rios, so not a problem.

I wondered how they handled a ship excursion where they say you get as much time as you need - shuttles ... good to know.

Just wondering? ... do you ride the skyrider up the hill and the bobsled back to the bottom, or do you take the skyrider both ways and the pool and bobsled are attractions at the top?

Thanks, Mary

You take the skyrider both ways. The pool, bobsled and small gift shop are all up at the top. I want to say the skyride took probably around 20 minutes one way...pretty relaxing and some wonderful views :)

The skyrider takes you up. There, you will go left for the bobsleds, or up just a very short walk to your right for the ziplines. I am not sure where the ziplines end as we did not do them. However, after riding the bobsled, you are pulled back up to the starting position. Think of it as a roller coaster---except your being pulled buy a cable and it happens at the end of the ride instead of the beginning. Have fun!

Thanks for the information! We booked the DFR and bobsled through NCL, and I'm hoping that we'll be given some extra time at MM to buy more bobsled rides and maybe go ziplining too!

Did you happen to see where to buy Blue Mountain Coffee? We're not planning to go out shopping on our own, so the only opportunities we'll have is at port and at MM.

Thanks!

J

Thank you all for the great info on this tour. My DW & I have booked this thru NCL & now we can't wait to do this tour:D

I was just wondering if any of you who have already done this tour remember how much it cost to do an extra ride on the bobsled:confused: I doubt that one ride will be enough since it looks like so much fun:)

I contacted a private driver and he said you could go right up and buy tickets. But, I have NEVER tried it.

As for the price of additional rides on the sled. It was like $18 for one, $22 for 2, etc. I can't remember the exact price, but I can remember that it went WAY down with the more you bought. Only my DD and I wanted to ride it again and it would have been right around the $40 for both of us and that's when I made the comment, "To bad they don't let you buy 5 and share them" rather loud. Well, the lady behind the counter heard me and said "you can." :D Yay!

As for how to get their from Falmouth. I'd say contact a private driver and explain what you want to do specifically and let them know the port time. Good luck!

I'm kind of bummed, we're going back to Jamaica, but the tour price is so much we won't be going to MM to ride them again. :(

Archived