If tips are so important, include them in the cost of the cruise

mk695

Calm down obviously you didn't get my point......adding a service charge would bring the price of the cabin up. Higher cabin price would bring the taxes up. The total price would be higher resulting in Carnival to pay a higher commission.....So we will be paying more for our cruise and Carnival will be paying out a higher commission. Or they can leave it like it is and we pay lower fares, company pays lower commission and the staff still gets their tips......

None of this has to be true. Carnival can choose how to pay commissions and they can say they don't pay commisssion on any part of the cruise cost. They can adjust the commission % at any time, there is no law that requires them to do otherwise.

Taxes wouldn't be higher either. Cruise already skate most taxes, the exception being port fees and local taxes for moorage because they can't avoid those (they have to port!).

It's all a bookkeeping games.

All I'm asking is to include the required "optional" tips into the cost of the cruise when quoting the cruise on advertising and marketing material. They can then break it down however they'd like in the back end.

This isn't really about "optional" tips.

It's about the cruise lines trying to advertise a very low fare and then later adding back in all the money they wanted all along.

Paying your employees is a cost of business. Therefore a cost of business should be able to line item out of the cruise cost.

Then put your money where your mouth is and do it.....there are cruiselines out there.........

Who says that I haven't and that I don't.

What I'm asking is for Carnival Cruise lines to stop playing games and call a spade a spade.

None of this has to be true. Carnival can choose how to pay commissions and they can say they don't pay commisssion on any part of the cruise cost. They can adjust the commission % at any time, there is no law that requires them to do otherwise.

Taxes wouldn't be higher either. Cruise already skate most taxes, the exception being port fees and local taxes for moorage because they can't avoid those (they have to port!).

It's all a bookkeeping games.

All I'm asking is to include the required "optional" tips into the cost of the cruise when quoting the cruise on advertising and marketing material. They can then break it down however they'd like in the back end.

This isn't really about "optional" tips.

It's about the cruise lines trying to advertise a very low fare and then later adding back in all the money they wanted all along.

Paying your employees is a cost of business. Therefore a cost of business should be able to line item out of the cruise cost.

LOL! Have you ever seen advertisements for airfare:confused: ROFLMAO!!!

You don't get it...you can go to the pursers desk and have the tips adjusted or deleted, or add more to the tip amount. It's YOUR choice, and I, for one, like having the option of tipping MORE or LESS.

YOU DONT GET IT. The tips are very important to staff --- it is their salary to eat with. It's not discretionary income for them. If it were included in the cost of the cruise, nothing would prevent you from giving them a real tip!! You can always give more!

What I'm asking is for Carnival Cruise lines to stop playing games and call a spade a spade.

Well... my question to Carnival is to keep playing games and to call a spade whatever they want.

I can decide for myself how to call it and I think everybody can see for himself/herself what it is and how to call it.

LOL! Have you ever seen advertisements for airfare:confused: ROFLMAO!!!

I agree many industrys are starting to do this more and more, which is why now is the time for people to stand up and say enough is enough.

Have you seen your cell phone bill? $39 ends up being almost double after all the taxes and fees.

Airlines are starting to charge for bathrooms, what's next ice?

Every business is nickel and diming us to death.

All of this is done because they are competitive and want to charge the lowest fee. But they need the money somewhere so they tack it on at the end. Of course, all optional and discretionary.

We need a law to require business to show the total cost up front and that is the only cost they can advertise/market.

Think about it, it will actually help them in long run, because they can now stop the game too. And businesses can actually get back to competing on the real price.

Currently, they are actually bypassing the concept of free enterprise.

YOU DONT GET IT. The tips are very important to staff --- it is their salary to eat with. It's not discretionary income for them. If it were included in the cost of the cruise, nothing would prevent you from giving them a real tip!! You can always give more!

Not sure how that would be any different than a service worker here in the states? They rely on their tips just as cruise employees do....

You do know that Carnival does pay their employees a salary right?

I agree many industrys are starting to do this more and more, which is why now is the time for people to stand up and say enough is enough.

Have you seen your cell phone bill? $39 ends up being almost double after all the taxes and fees.

Airlines are starting to charge for bathrooms, what's next ice?

Every business is nickel and diming us to death.

All of this is done because they are competitive and want to charge the lowest fee. But they need the money somewhere so they tack it on at the end. Of course, all optional and discretionary.

We need a law to require business to show the total cost up front and that is the only cost they can advertise/market.

Think about it, it will actually help them in long run, because they can now stop the game too. And businesses can actually get back to competing on the real price.

Currently, they are actually bypassing the concept of free enterprise.

You shouldn't be traveling if you are fooled by the prices IMHO....

If tips are so important, then just include them in the cost of the cruise.

But, wait, for "business" reasons, they'd like to be able to quote a low entry price and then tack on taxes, fees, and tips later to make it up to the price they want in the first place.

None of these so called add-on charges are optional. Of course they will tell you the "tips" are optional, but then everyone in the cruise industry and their shils posting on these boards will inundate you with heavy manipulation to "encourage" you to tip the "optional" amount.

IF IT IS SO DAMN IMPORTANT JUST INCLUDE IT IN THE COST OF THE CRUISE!!!!!!!

We should encourage our legislators to create a law that requires businesses to quote the final price that one has to pay.

I agree. Just another reason why cruises are not a good value for your travel dollar. They have so many additional charges. I could easily travel with my family of 5 and not run up $400.50 in tips on a 7 day trip. :mad:

Face it as times get tougher, we can expect Cruise lines to starting breaking out all kind of fees, surcharges, tips or whatever you want to call it, so that they can advertise a lower price or keep the entry price low.

So what IS the problem ?

Last time I checked before I pressed continue the screen stated exactly what I had to pay.

I don't care about low advertised rates and nobody has to pay more then what they want. If people don't like the final price, they can just leave.

How would you incorporate the bar tip into the price of the cruise:confused: And why would you even want to take your bar tip off? Just curious?

It would be included in the cost of the drink. Since the "optional" gratuity is used to pay for staff labor, just include that cost into the cost of the drink like every other business does.

Then allow customers to optionally add a tip if this wish.

I mean I always thought it was weird that the tip was automatically added and then there was another line to add more tip!

i wonder if I could put a negative amount and remove my tip?

So what IS the problem ?

Last time I checked before I pressed continue the screen stated exactly what I had to pay.

I don't care about low advertised rates and nobody has to pay more then what they want. If people don't like the final price, they can just leave.

The "optional" gratutity is not included in the final bill unless you choose to "prepay" gratuties. If you don't pay now, you will pay later.

A good first step would be to always require prepaying the gratutites and making them not optional to remove later.

It would be included in the cost of the drink. Since the "optional" gratuity is used to pay for staff labor, just include that cost into the cost of the drink like every other business does.

Then allow customers to optionally add a tip if this wish.

I mean I always thought it was weird that the tip was automatically added and then there was another line to add more tip!

i wonder if I could put a negative amount and remove my tip?

so now you want to raise the price of drinks......

I don't know if it's because I'm in Australia or not (we don't tip in Australia) but we're off on Carnival Spirit (Honolulu to Sydney) next September/October and our fare included gratuities. They're paid for already. Do U.S. guests not get the same for that cruise...? Hopefully Carnival can keep track of who has and who hasn't paid.

I like it the way it is.

As others have stated you do NOT have to complain the remove the tips, merely ask.

I have no problem in asking as it's actually easier than posting complaints and arguing.

We prepay our suggested tips, and then tip again to those that help make our cruise more enjoyable.

I look at it as just part of the cost of cruising. No big deal.

If you really want to chase a 'truth in advertising' issue go after car dealers.........

.......list price, dealer cost, invoice, shipping, dealer prep, doc fees.......

There in lies a field day of hidden fees and questionable practices in advertising.

If the cruise lines took a car dealers attitude on cruise pricing think of that mess..............a fee just to get the boat to the port.

And a fee to prep it for your cruise......

And a paperwork fee......

And so on.

so now you want to raise the price of drinks......

THE DRINKS ARE ALREADY RAISED.

You are already paying the higher price because the gratuity on the drink is required.

I'm just saying get rid of this "fake tip". Charge for the drink what it is anyway and then allow people to optionally add a real tip anyway.

This is just a trick that cruise lines use to make you think you're paying less for the drink.

If the drink is $5 and the required tip is $1 then you're still paying $6 for the drink!!!!!!!!!

I'm saying just charge $6 for the drink and call it good. Since it's not really a tip when you're forced to pay for it. it's a fee that is not optionally. And for good reason because it is used to pay for the employees salary.

I like it the way it is.

As others have stated you do NOT have to complain the remove the tips, merely ask.

I have no problem in asking as it's actually easier than posting complaints and arguing.

We prepay our suggested tips, and then tip again to those that help make our cruise more enjoyable.

I look at it as just part of the cost of cruising. No big deal.

If you really want to chase a 'truth in advertising' issue go after car dealers.........

.......list price, dealer cost, invoice, shipping, dealer prep, doc fees.......

There in lies a field day of hidden fees and questionable practices in advertising.

If the cruise lines took a car dealers attitude on cruise pricing think of that mess..............a fee just to get the boat to the port.

And a fee to prep it for your cruise......

And a paperwork fee......

And so on.

My point exactly. If we don't stop the inanity now, then purchasing a cruise will be like buying a car. Many industries are moving towards this as discussed earlier. Every time we turn around there is a new few for this or that for something.

Let's get together as a society and stop it for everyone! The advertised price is the price you pay (and then they can break it down however they want after we pay).

I don't know if it's because I'm in Australia or not (we don't tip in Australia) but we're off on Carnival Spirit (Honolulu to Sydney) next September/October and our fare included gratuities. They're paid for already. Do U.S. guests not get the same for that cruise...? Hopefully Carnival can keep track of who has and who hasn't paid.

I went on a charter cruise once and we were offered a total price for the package that included everything include to ship transportation and it included prepaid gratuties that we were not allowed to remove.

Depending on who you purchased from they may have or may not have wrapped your gratuties up in the cost. This is exactly what I'm asking the cruise industry to do!!

However, if you book on the Carnival Web site you have to choose to "prepay" the gratuities. if you don't select to prepay them, then they add them to your cruise charge and you pay at the end of the cruise.

If tips are so important, then just include them in the cost of the cruise.

But, wait, for "business" reasons, they'd like to be able to quote a low entry price and then tack on taxes, fees, and tips later to make it up to the price they want in the first place.

None of these so called add-on charges are optional. Of course they will tell you the "tips" are optional, but then everyone in the cruise industry and their shils posting on these boards will inundate you with heavy manipulation to "encourage" you to tip the "optional" amount.

IF IT IS SO DAMN IMPORTANT JUST INCLUDE IT IN THE COST OF THE CRUISE!!!!!!!

We should encourage our legislators to create a law that requires businesses to quote the final price that one has to pay.

you gonna suggest that for the restaurant and land all inclusives as well? good luck, and you will find that service charge twice the amount you pay in tips.

who exactly is your suggestion helping anyway?

THE DRINKS ARE ALREADY RAISED.

You are already paying the higher price because the gratuity on the drink is required.

I'm just saying get rid of this "fake tip". Charge for the drink what it is anyway and then allow people to optionally add a real tip anyway.

This is just a trick that cruise lines use to make you think you're paying less for the drink.

If the drink is $5 and the required tip is $1 then you're still paying $6 for the drink!!!!!!!!!

I'm saying just charge $6 for the drink and call it good. Since it's not really a tip when you're forced to pay for it. it's a fee that is not optionally. And for good reason because it is used to pay for the employees salary.

WTH is the difference? Don't look at the freaking receipt....

I am not going to carry around money to tip on a ship. It is for your convenience........

It's not forced and yes a tip is part of the employee's income.....

you gonna suggest that for the restaurant and land all inclusives as well? good luck, and you will find that service charge twice the amount you pay in tips.

who exactly is your suggestion helping anyway?

there are plenty of restuarants that charge you what they advertise to you, despite there being tons of taxes and fees involved. Movie theaters and Ballparks in some areas charge $5 for a coke. It's actually $4.23 plus tax.

This helps the consumer because we can look at something and compare apples to apples. We know when we look at it what it will actually cost us.

If we see something advertised for $5, but then when we pay for it we find out it actually costs $7.64 it doesn't help us because not all items have the same fees and surcharges.

I'm not saying we should hide the fees or surcharges, sure make it plainly visible on the receipt. Just don't advertise something for $5 when it really costs $7.64

Because when does it end?

WTH is the difference? Don't look at the freaking receipt....

I am not going to carry around money to tip on a ship. It is for your convenience........

It's not forced and yes a tip is part of the employee's income.....

You're the dream customer. Doesn't look at the receipt, probably doesn't care what things cost.

As a consumer you should demand to be told what something costs and what you're paying for.

Cruise lines are the only ones that require you to pay this "optional" tip. Look at the bar charges... just try to remove that 15% tip.

The "optional" tips aren't easily removed -- they are tacked on first and then you need to "complain" to remove them and get the stink eye from staff.

Last time I checked, hairdressers, pizza joints, cab companies, etc. etc. didn't tack the "optional" tip on and then require you to talk with someone to get it removed.

There is a big different in how the cruise lines operate that's why I say include it in the cost of the cruise.

Don't get me wrong, I gladly pay the "optional tip" because I do feel they are earned. But, just included them in the cost of the cruise!!!

I wouldn't know I never tied to have a tip removed. So I don't have to worry about getting the "stink eye" Obviously you have. You shouldn't cruise if you can't afford to tip.

Archived