Safety / shopping Cozumel

robnz

Hello Everyone we are 50 days away from Sailing!! Thanks to a substitute teacher at school who told my daughter that Mexico was very dangerous ands that mexicans love blondes she is scared to death to go. Ive heard from everyone that if you stay in the tourist areas and take the usual safety precautions that it is fine but I just wanted to check with some seasoned Mexico cruisers.

Also, we are planning on going to Paradise beach but my oldest wants to shop too, where is the best place to shop while in Cozumel.

2 totally different subjects but would love some feedback on both.

And yes, I was VERY upset with the teacher none of her business......:mad:

Parts of mainland Mexico is very dangerous, but CZM is very safe, probably safer than your home town.

I was there in June, went to many local restaurants and never had any trouble.

There will be shopping at the port, but if it's not enough, take a taxi to the downtown square.

I have been to Cozumel several times and never felt my safety was cause for concern. However, with that said, I was almost always with at least one other person.

I have heard that it might not be safe for teens to go out on their own - not because of concern for violence or anything like that, but simply because teens often don't make the best choices. Also, the bars will serve teens, and alcohol of course will diminish any good judgement your teen might have.

I had my 16 year old, blonde, niece with me on one trip. I did allow her to have a drink with me, but I also never let her out of my sight. We were not approached or harassed in any way. But, on one occasion, I did wander around town alone and was approached by men making lewd suggestions; so again, I would say to stick with a group.

Also, we are planning on going to Paradise beach but my oldest wants to shop too, where is the best place to shop while in Cozumel.

My advice is to stick to the ship's recommendations if you plan to buy anything besides trinkets! Our friends took a taxi to downtown, bought rings at a good price only to find out they were FAKE.

Is Paradise beach the place where you can snorkel? We want to take the grandkids snorkeling. This is our first cruise to Cozumel w/the family. (we've been there 5-6 times)

There are several places to snorkel in Cozumel from my research, but Paradise Beach seemed like a good place to bring teenagers with the pool and all the other things they have to offer. Google paradise beach Cozumel and see what you think. Thanks for your shopping tip!!

Archived