Mahahual massage

Isailaway

was in Costa Maya last week. Take a $2 pp taxi to Mahahual and visit a place called the Tropicante. Steve Uhl, an American, runs a nice bar with beach chairs that you can reserve. They offer massages at his beach that costs $25 for 60 minutes. Inside the cruise port it is $60 for 30 minutes or that is what someone told me later. someone in my party in the cruise had a massage and really enjoyed it.

you can email steve at steveuhl@sandalsandskis.com

Thank you! I emailed Steve and he responded quickly. He promised to save us loungers. Can't wait to eat ceviche, have a couple of tropical drinks, get a massage and maybe do some snorkeling. It sounded like all of that would be possible at or near the Tropicante.

Thank you! I emailed Steve and he responded quickly. He promised to save us loungers. Can't wait to eat ceviche, have a couple of tropical drinks, get a massage and maybe do some snorkeling. It sounded like all of that would be possible at or near the Tropicante.

I contacted Steve today and responded quickly also. We will be in Costa Maya on 11/24, Jewel OTS. He was awesome and answered all my questions

• 3 weeks later...

We were just in Mahaul on Thanksgiving day. We had a great time with Carlos at the Green Iguana...He gave us a special price if we did 2 massages! My daughter and I each got a massage for an hour for $15 each. And we had great chips, salsa and guac , plus plenty of cold beers and of course a view of paradise.

To operate as a LEGAL massage provider in Mahahual, you must have completed a government, dept of Tourism, class on massage. Once this class is complete, you can then apply for your local permit to work on the beach. Not sure the cost but it is a cost, paid usually by the massuese. The avergae cost for massage in the area is around $20-$25 per hour. That is split usually by the massuese, the table owner (usually someone else other than the massuese), the owner ot the location, usually a restaurant or bar and perhaps even a waiter commision. Lots of hands in the cookie jar. Those doing massage for under $20 per hour are usually low cost, low overhead scabs. Not trained or permited (they might have to stop your massage right in the middle to hide from the regulators who from time to time check these things!), probably not changing sheets, unprofessional (talking on their cell phone or to their boy friends) using cheaper oils, cut the time short and so forth. A few, like this guy Carlos perhaps, might actually be good enough, own their own tables or just work for less. A few. But most really are just a pair of hands. Pay the extra 5 or 10 bucks and get a really good professional massage. They are soooo good!

To operate as a LEGAL massage provider in Mahahual, you must have completed a government, dept of Tourism, class on massage. Once this class is complete, you can then apply for your local permit to work on the beach. Not sure the cost but it is a cost, paid usually by the massuese. The avergae cost for massage in the area is around $20-$25 per hour. That is split usually by the massuese, the table owner (usually someone else other than the massuese), the owner ot the location, usually a restaurant or bar and perhaps even a waiter commision. Lots of hands in the cookie jar. Those doing massage for under $20 per hour are usually low cost, low overhead scabs. Not trained or permited (they might have to stop your massage right in the middle to hide from the regulators who from time to time check these things!), probably not changing sheets, unprofessional (talking on their cell phone or to their boy friends) using cheaper oils, cut the time short and so forth. A few, like this guy Carlos perhaps, might actually be good enough, own their own tables or just work for less. A few. But most really are just a pair of hands. Pay the extra 5 or 10 bucks and get a really good professional massage. They are soooo good!

Appreciate the info. $20-$25 sounds like a good deal for an hour long massage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We were just in Mahaul on Thanksgiving day. We had a great time with Carlos at the Green Iguana...He gave us a special price if we did 2 massages! My daughter and I each got a massage for an hour for $15 each. And we had great chips, salsa and guac , plus plenty of cold beers and of course a view of paradise.

Was this massage with Carlos at the Green Iguana ON THE BEACH or inside?

was in Costa Maya last week. Take a $2 pp taxi to Mahahual and visit a place called the Tropicante. Steve Uhl, an American, runs a nice bar with beach chairs that you can reserve. They offer massages at his beach that costs $25 for 60 minutes. Inside the cruise port it is $60 for 30 minutes or that is what someone told me later. someone in my party in the cruise had a massage and really enjoyed it.

you can email steve at steveuhl@sandalsandskis.com

Are these massages on the beach or inside ? Looking for beach massage....were in tents on Belize.

We also emailed Steve and I was very pleased with the quick response I received. We can't wait to enjoy our day at the Tropicante in Mahahual!

I emailed Steve yesterday and am wondering what a very quick response is. I have not had a response which sometimes happens when emailing out of the country with AOL. I may have to try to remember what the other address is that I have used previously when making appointments out of the country.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Almost every beach club offers massages. Good luck! (love the prices down there)!

True, but you probably won't get an actual massage. Just an oil rub. You will only pay $20 so I guess it is worth it. No need to go to Tropicante. Lots of clubs on the beach that offer the same services and are far less crowded. I also found the service to be very slow, maybe due to the crowd at Tropicante. I would definitely visit one of the other clubs next time. Tropicante is NOTHING special.

• 5 months later...
True, but you probably won't get an actual massage. Just an oil rub. You will only pay $20 so I guess it is worth it.

Can people who have had beach massages in Majahual please confirm whether or not this is true? I'm planning on getting a massage (and maybe even two!) while we're in port. However, I like a deep massage, not a rub-down.

Archived