Passport Renewed in Under 2 Weeks with only Routine Processing

zephyr17

I sent my old passport off for renewal by Priority Mail on Saturday 10/22. Since I am not going anywhere until March or April, I just requested Routine Processing, although I did pay for Express Mail to send me the new passport. That was for ability to trace the shipment, rather than speed.

The new passport arrived today, 12 calendar days after I dropped the renewal application off at the Post Office. :D

The National Passport Office is REALLY speedy right now. If you have a renewal you need to do soon, now appears to be a good time to do it!

I got mine back with 3 1/2 weeks and didn't pay for any extra Express Mail or expedited services but I did pay for it to go certified mail.

The Post Office told me that my passport should arrive in 2 days and go online for the passport office and I should see when it arrived and when it's being processed which I did.

I sent my old passport off for renewal by Priority Mail on Saturday 10/22. Since I am not going anywhere until March or April, I just requested Routine Processing, although I did pay for Express Mail to send me the new passport. That was for ability to trace the shipment, rather than speed.

The new passport arrived today, 12 calendar days after I dropped the renewal application off at the Post Office. :D

The National Passport Office is REALLY speedy right now. If you have a renewal you need to do soon, now appears to be a good time to do it!

Not passport, but I renewed my drivers license online the other day... Ordered 10/31 in hand 11/3 and NO eye exam...:eek::cool:

Ours are up soon and I was thinking I should try to do them now as the turn around time looks good. I have never done it before. What do I need to do? Thanks!

Go to this LINK and follow the directions.

We are sailing on the Serenade next June out of Barcelona, and so I took the kids to the passport office two weeks ago, thinking it would take months to get them. And as the OP said, the passports arrived two days ago!!! :eek: I was SHOCKED! But pleasantly so!!!

Funny but DW and I were discussing this exact thing last night. Ours both expire the week we leave on next cruise so will have to be renewed. But we're wanting to wait until January to get a little more life out of the new ones.

Anyone know if there are any impending fee increases that take effect witrh the new year? Might make it more worthwhile to renew sooner even if it shaves six months off the lifespan.

Funny but DW and I were discussing this exact thing last night. Ours both expire the week we leave on next cruise so will have to be renewed. But we're wanting to wait until January to get a little more life out of the new ones.

Anyone know if there are any impending fee increases that take effect witrh the new year? Might make it more worthwhile to renew sooner even if it shaves six months off the lifespan.

I would do it now. Below is a copy from http://www.travel.state.gov

If you are traveling for business or tourism:

• You don’t need a visa for the initial entry into the Schengen (Europe) area, but you must have a passport valid three months beyond the proposed stay.
  • For example, for a two-week business trip, the passport must be valid for four months; for a two-month holiday the passport must be valid for five months.

I would worry less about the fee going up and more about if they change the rules and make you need a valid passport for even more time than you have on your "almost expired" passport. So your passport is good for only 9.5 years, Big deal.

Mine expired in March 2012 but I was traveling in October 2011 so I renewed in early September and worried that I might have NO passport because you have to mail it away to renew. I followed the directions online at the above site and found it took only 3 weeks though they say 6. Better safe than sorry.

We know we have to renew before we go because they will be expired before we leave (by a couple days) - let alone too close to expiring while traveling. Given the speedy processing being reported I think we can safely wait until February or so for our May 1 cruise. Last time I renewed though it was sort of funny that wife's "new" first time passport got to us faster than my renewal by a few days - both applications mailed the same day.

But I will keep a close eye out for impending government shutdowns that could affect renewal processing as well as price hikes.

Yep, same experience here too. I got my name change/renewal passport in two weeks flat. My and DH's passport cards arrived a few days later. We're still waiting on our original passports and marriage certificate to be returned though.

I got my original passport within 3 days so hopefully you get them soon.

They arrived yesterday - the same day as my post, go figure. :) In the end, we got my passport, our passport cards, and our original docs all within 1 week of each other - so 3 weeks in total since they went out. Nice!

Had a very good experience. About a month ago, a last minute trip came up and my passport was expiring. Thinking it would take a few weeks, I paid the expedite fee and had the new passport and passport card within a week of the original mail date! While I dont recommend "testing" it if you have an upcoming trip, the process is very fast right now (as long as you have everything in order).

Archived