Ziplining & Cave Tubing with Kids

ChicoCruiser123

Has anyone had experience bringing young children ziplining and cave tubing? My son is 6 years old and right now he says he wants to go with us, but I am concerned that he will chicken out once we are on top of the platform. I have never done it and don't know how fast or scary it is. If he does want to quit, is there a way to go back and wait for the group?

Has anyone had experience bringing young children ziplining and cave tubing? My son is 6 years old and right now he says he wants to go with us, but I am concerned that he will chicken out once we are on top of the platform. I have never done it and don't know how fast or scary it is. If he does want to quit, is there a way to go back and wait for the group?

With all the zip lines I've ever done, you can always climb back down the ladder. Of course, if he is going to wait until everyone else in the group is done, an adult should probably sit out with him.

You can also contact the zip line company and see if they will allow a parent and child to zip together. Some companies do. You could do the first zip with him if he is scared and maybe he will do some on his own once he gains confidence. Also you could show him pics and youtube videos of young kids zipline so he knows what to expect.

• 1 month later...

We had a 7 year old on our zip lining tour at Zip and Clip in Honduras. He was very brave though and actually asked his Mom to do it she said.

Just to note, she said they couldn't book through the ship because he had to be at least 8, but they had no problem at Clip and Zip.

I guess it really depends on how brave they are! I was a bit of a scaredy cat as a kid, but my husband was a lot more adventurous so I'm sure it will really depend on their personality!

Both are totally do-able though.

There was a group in front of us with 3 or 4 young children (5-8). All of the children went on the zip line. The youngest of the little girls got really scared after the first couple of lines. She was screaming and refused to go on the next one. There was no turning back on this particular line, so they let the mother hold the child, while a guide went down the line behind them. 3 people total on the line. When they got to the next platform the mother and child were able to take a walking path to the start/finish area.

I think this is probably a pretty standard thing they deal with and they are certainly prepared. There were a lot of children on the zip lines that did just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived