Walk to town?

Marishabee

Is it possible to ride a scooter or walk to town? I see they have no handicap transportation.

it is an easy 20 minute walk to town. Check on the Special Interest cruising section, there is a section entitled Disabled Cruising and you would be able to find the answer about taking a scooter in to town there.

I would recommend against a scooter.

It is a walkable distance and we've walked it several times.

Most people however use the water taxi which can be a lot of fun. There is a water taxi that goes between the cruise terminal, and two stops in the town area. You can pay per trip or better yet, get a day pass. Its inexpensive and a fun way to get to the town area.

We routinely walk to town with my wife in a transport chair. It is a pleasant walk. There is a sidewalk from the port all the way into the boardwalk area and from there you can access the shops in town. There are a few places that could be problematic but I do not know for sure as we use the transport chair and not the scooter.

Soon after leaving the port there are two or three shallow depressions to allow water to drain from the road to a drainage ditch. It is a paved gentle sloped shallow depression. With the transport chair I raise the front legs to avoid having the leg rests crash to the bottom of the depression due to its shallow short slope. I would think the scooter could easily navigate. The second obstacle is a driveway to what I remember as a truck depot. I think we would move left from the sidewalk onto a dirt area which avoids any sort of curb. Again easily doable I would think with the scooter.

The sidewalk along the street in town with the shops is narrow in places and from what I remember we sometimes walk in the street. Traffic is minimal and it is not a problem There is a curb and I do not remember if there are curb cuts, think not. I also seem to recall that many shops have a step up into the shop. Does not present a problem for the transport chair.

Succinctly stated, I think you will have little trouble getting into town especially if you have sufficient mobility to get off the scooter at some of the minor obstacles.

As a side note, we have travelled extensively through most of the Caribbean ports and taken land vacations on the eastern and pacific coasts of Mexico and there is virtually no place that we have been unable to tour using the transport chair other than rainforest type areas which lack level ground.

Enjoy the trip

I would recommend against a scooter.

It is a walkable distance and we've walked it several times.

Most people however use the water taxi which can be a lot of fun. There is a water taxi that goes between the cruise terminal, and two stops in the town area. You can pay per trip or better yet, get a day pass. Its inexpensive and a fun way to get to the town area.

I should correct myself...When I said I would not recommend a scooter, I was not thinking of the small scooters used by people with difficulty walking but was thinking of those small motorcycle type scooters or moped style motorized vehicles that some people rent at the ports and travel around the island roads with exploring. They are like small motorcycle type vehicles.

I did not mean the type of scooter used by people with difficulty walking that are motorized but used on sidewalks.

My mistake...I am sorry for the mis-interpretation.

Archived