Teen Party on Half Moon Cay

DRich2

Hi All,

Can someone elaborate on the teen party at HMC for me. My two 16yo girls are wondering if they would enjoy this or is they should just plan the day doing excursions.

If anyone has had kids participate I would appreciate some details.

Thanks.

Since i was on the zaandam to alaska last year, I have no idea about HMC (sorry!) but if your daughters are wondering whether or not to do club HAL at all, I would say GO FOR IT! I was 17 when my mom and I went on our first cruise... My friend, who had cruised twice before told me to avoid the kids club (she'd never done it w/ HAL though)... I decided to try it out anyway, and went to the welcome party the first night. It was awesome! We formed a really really close group of 20 with about 40 who came in total. I MSN daily with one person, and am now best friends with another, who luckily lives about 3 hours from me - she's come to visit twice since the summer. Quite a few of us also keep in touch, but less often.

When I went, I never dreamt I would have such a great time (while not shy, I'm not that comfortable in a big strange group, so I was a bit reluctant to try it... I'm so glad I did, I just wish the SOE had happened prior to leaving!)

If your family is curious, I have pics of our group up on the web at:

http://zandaamcruise.myphotoalbum.com

I know its spelled wrong, I accidentaly did it like that, and didn't realise until everyone had the url, and pics were already up, etc...

ANYWAY,

good luck, have a great trip! no matter what happens, you will all have a great time!

Dani

Unfortunately, this is the same as the non-existent treasure hunt and ice cream party for the kids. I was told when I called HAL before leaving that I would have to book while on board (which made no sense), and once I was on board, I was told the excursion had been discontinued. However, after talking to a few people, it seems that "no one" has actually ever experienced it... so I'd say it's another great example of HAL's wonderful marketing job... that wasn't delivered.

That said, we had a great time anyway---but just be mentally prepared for not receiving what you read in the brochure... and enjoy what you *DO* get :)

I've seen the kids on HMC doing the Treasure Hunt. They looked so cute and were having a good time.

On another cruise my neice did Club Hal and enjoyed it.

Maybe it depends if there is enough help that week.

My kids were teens on their last cruise two years ago and met other teens.

They didn't join any group. They pretty much hang out and talk by the pool.

DRich2 your kids will have a good time. They will meet other kids and they'll enjoy family time too!

We were just on the 3/26 zuiderdam sailing. The ice cream and treuasure hunt excursion was not available. However they did have just a scavenger hunt on the island. Very hard to find! I think just finding the hunt was 1/2 of it! Alot of the activities were not held where advertised. And you had to track them down. This happened on board also. Several times went to pick up kids and were told they were at a different location. We did the extended care service one evening when we went to the Pinnical and it took 20 mins to track our children down. We just happened on the in the Lido with the sitter eating ice cream. We did notice that you never saw two clocks with the same time on board! In our suite the wall clock, Digital clock, and T.V. ship clocks were all different as much as 15 mins. The offical ships clock on the telly was 13 mins off real time for the entire cruise. When we figured this out and set our watches to the fake ship time we were able to have the kids programs line up a little better to advertised time.

We were just on the Westerdam sailing 3/27. Same thing for us on Half Moon Key. I asked about the teen party. Hal said that I would have to sign up on the ship. There was no party on HMC. We still loved it, but it would have been nice for the teens to hang together for a while.

The teen program for HAL was pitiful at best. My DD who has worked as a camp counselor, captain for teams at HS etc, found the Club Hal workers sorely lacking in enthusiasm and pep. The activities they suggested were not favored by the kids (such as a dinner of hamburgers when they could eat nice food in the DR), and a lot of yelling at the teens.

However, my DD had a great time with the friends she made in Club Hal, but not because of the crew there, but in spite of them.

Archived