Bonaire Scuba question

Garumn

Hi all :) I'm going on the discover scuba diving experiance in Bonaire on Crown Princess' Southern Carib. cruise on Nov 26. My question actually has to do with cameras. Does anyone know if the tour folk have someone taking pic's while on the dive? And if not, what might be a good underwater camera (non-profesional) to take along? I read that there used to be a web cam buisness set up but as of August they are shut down. This would be my first time scuba-ing so I'd love to have pic's.

Thanks all :)

I'm not sure about the tour operators, but...

For a good, inexpensive u/w camera - try looking at the Pentax Optio or the Olympus Stylus Tough. Both are good to around 20' deep or so.

If you're willing to spend more money, Sealife makes good underwater cameras rated for much deeper, plus they auto-correct the color to restore the reds and yellows that you lose.

Cheers, P:)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks aimodels for your reply. those are nice looking cameras but I was looking for a bit less expensive. I'm going to try a fugi film underwater disposable--rated for 30ish feet, max depth of tour is 40'--we'll see. Maybe I'll get lucky and have the Princess camera crew along with us. That happened on our Panama trip last year when I visited a native tribe in one of the ports.

6travelers--Will try and remember for you :) 6 days...jumping out of my skin to be away!

• 2 weeks later...

6travelers,

hi again :) Here are some thoughts on the Discover Scuba experiance:

we started with a small-boat ride over to their shop--this is my only complaint of the whole 'tour': the little boat belched out deisal smoke the whole way to and from their shop.

Once there we watched a 20-25 minute instructional video explaning all the equipment, hand signals and the like(this seems to be required viewing). Then one of the instructor/guides repeated all of it in front of us in more detail. Especially the 6-7 hand signals(of the 20ish for certification) that we would need to know for the day. During this time the other instructor/guides are putting together the gear(what they call 'kit').

Once we are suited up--and so you know, the $10 fee to use the water(the whole island is a 'protected environment'--deisal fumes anyone!?) as well as an 'extra nominal fee' for the wet suit are included in the cost Princess quotes--we walked across the road and into the water to practice breathing, working with the mask and hand signals. My small group of 3 had Patrick. He was great. made very sure we understood exactly what we needed to do once under the surface. Please: if you have ANY questions about anything, ask the guides!!

When we were ready we scuba'ed for about 1/2 hour with patrick guiding us. that may seem short but with only one tank of air it cant be much longer.

Though I had difficulty at times with my bouyancy vest--a part of the kit that helps you keep a neutral weight onder water--with more practice it will get easier. Also, the amount of air you take into your lungs on each breath will affect how bouyant you are.

I enjoyed the experiance very much. the guides are very nice and very competent. Just make sure you ask questions if you have any. The won't be stupid and may just keep you from getting hurt.:eek:

The air in the tanks is a bit different than the outside air--purer. Took me a few minutes to get used to it under the surface.

Will be taking classes soon to become certified and get more practice so the Wife and I can scuba the Great Barrier Reef in 2015. Enjoy this tour!

Gar :D

I wanted to add: For the most part, Patrick was swimming 'on his back' as he put it, watching us, and making sure that if we needed anything he could be right there for us. And having to fiddle alot with your vest is normal untill you get used to how much breath you need to take in to be bouyancy neutral. Try not to get frustrated by this. and 'popping' your ears as you go is VERY important. Do not neglect this--this is explaned during and after the video.

Archived