More SNORKELING questions - Please help a newbie...

bizzylady

Ok, so I have decided what I want to do on my FIRST CRUISE to Cozumel.

We want to go SNORKELING, and maybe if time, sit on a beach a little while and chill out and get a drink or two, or three, and then ... still have time to go sightseeing/shopping a little while. I have been reading so much but still can't decide and feel overwhelmed. So here is what I want, and hopefully, that will help decide what place to recommend to me --

1) Just me and my husband (age 51, 52), and BEGINNERS, never snorkeled before.

2) Want to see beautiful water and lots of beautiful fish, sea life, etc.

3) I "THINK" I need to go with an excursion or tour?? because otherwise we won't know what to do and I'll feel lost.

4) I want to just basically stick my head in the water, to look around, while floating on top and NOT diving deep into the water, as I cannot swim. But I will do fine with a life vest and just floating around, etc.

5) Do we take a boat ride and then get in the water?? or do we just walk from a beach?? I don't care, as long as the above specifications are met.

6) anything you can suggest or help me with? THANK YOU SO MUCH. AND.. if anyone suggests just doing it on our own, without a tour, please give details of what we should do! THANKS again!

Considering that you are new to this, I would also recommend a ship tour. They do a great job with both non-swimmers and new snorkelers. The tours almost always have easy access to the water and provide the amount of assistance you want - whether that's a little or a lot. You will be able to see plenty just floating on top of the water. Cruising and snorkeling...two of my favorite things! Enjoy!

I will concur... ship tour for you.... Look for one that touts a snorkle trip by boat (I think a boat snorkle will give you the best sealife and coral views) and a beach break afterwards. Maybe about 4-5 hours... then before or after you can shop in the port area. :)

Which cruise line are you on?

Ok, so I have decided what I want to do on my FIRST CRUISE to Cozumel.

We want to go SNORKELING, and maybe if time, sit on a beach a little while and chill out and get a drink or two, or three, and then ... still have time to go sightseeing/shopping a little while. I have been reading so much but still can't decide and feel overwhelmed. So here is what I want, and hopefully, that will help decide what place to recommend to me --

1) Just me and my husband (age 51, 52), and BEGINNERS, never snorkeled before.

2) Want to see beautiful water and lots of beautiful fish, sea life, etc.

3) I "THINK" I need to go with an excursion or tour?? because otherwise we won't know what to do and I'll feel lost.

4) I want to just basically stick my head in the water, to look around, while floating on top and NOT diving deep into the water, as I cannot swim. But I will do fine with a life vest and just floating around, etc.

5) Do we take a boat ride and then get in the water?? or do we just walk from a beach?? I don't care, as long as the above specifications are met.

6) anything you can suggest or help me with? THANK YOU SO MUCH. AND.. if anyone suggests just doing it on our own, without a tour, please give details of what we should do! THANKS again!

I don't know what ship you're on but on our Carnival cruise last year we did the Shore Snorkle tour with the ship. I imagine though that many of the cruise lines may offer this same excursion. Anyway, it was a perfect tour for those that are new or not very experienced snorkelers. Our group met at the end of the pier and we were taken in clean-air conditioned taxi vans to the snorkel area 10-15 min away. Once we arrived, we were given the opportunity to rent a locker ($2 USD) and then fitted up with our gear. They then assigned us to a guide. About 4-5 folks in each group. We were given some instruction then led in the water. Depending on your skill level, the guides will be right there and in some instances, one-on-one. We had about 45 min or so of snorkel time with the guides and then were allowed to snorkel on our own or enjoy the beach area or have lunch in the open deck reastaurant/bar area. They also offered beach side massages for $20 USD. The facility was very clean and the staff top-notch. You can stay as long as you want as there is no official ending time. The staff will hail you a taxi back to the port when you are ready. The return taxi was included in our excursion fee. We snorkeled and then had a nice lunch before heading back. It was a really good tour and a great way to to get some good instruction and practice.

I will HIGHLY suggest taking a ship tour that is a Catamaran sail and snorkel. Usually they will take you to a nice reef area, instruct you on using the equipment, and have people in the water to help you. ON top of that, when you are done snorkeling, you get back on the boat and will be served free beer and coctails of some sort (usually, check out the specifics of the trip). We love these sail and snorkel days. You meet plenty of fun people, sail on the gorgeous blue water, get some sun, listen to some fun island music, dance a little or a lot and snorkel. A nice tidy little package for a beginner snorkeler who likes to have a couple cold drinks. THey will usually last a half day or full day and you can have some time to shop as well!!

I don't know what ship you're on but on our Carnival cruise last year we did the Shore Snorkle tour with the ship. I imagine though that many of the cruise lines may offer this same excursion. Anyway, it was a perfect tour for those that are new or not very experienced snorkelers. Our group met at the end of the pier and we were taken in clean-air conditioned taxi vans to the snorkel area 10-15 min away. Once we arrived, we were given the opportunity to rent a locker ($2 USD) and then fitted up with our gear. They then assigned us to a guide. About 4-5 folks in each group. We were given some instruction then led in the water. Depending on your skill level, the guides will be right there and in some instances, one-on-one. We had about 45 min or so of snorkel time with the guides and then were allowed to snorkel on our own or enjoy the beach area or have lunch in the open deck reastaurant/bar area. They also offered beach side massages for $20 USD. The facility was very clean and the staff top-notch. You can stay as long as you want as there is no official ending time. The staff will hail you a taxi back to the port when you are ready. The return taxi was included in our excursion fee. We snorkeled and then had a nice lunch before heading back. It was a really good tour and a great way to to get some good instruction and practice.

I am not a strong swimmer but enjoy snorkeling and feel very confident as long as I wear a vest. I prefer snorkeling when I can walk in the water and snorkel at my own pace. This excursion sounds perfect for a first time snorkel trip.

Archived