Swimming with turtles

kasil

Has anyone gone swimming with the turtles recently? The only info I can find is that the water is murky and it's not a good place to snorkel, but that was dated a while ago. Any info that's more up-to-date? Thanks.

We spent a wonderful week in Cayman this summer and swam with lots of turtles all over the island! The best location, Eden Rock, is within walking distance of the Cruise Port. We also saw one a little further down at the Sunset House and saw a huge turtle from shore at Cemetary Beach. They seem to circle the island, so you should have a good chance of seeing them (and squid, stingrays, huge tarpons, barcudas, tons of tropical fish and even a water funnel)!

I don't think you need a guide (or can even find one) for Eden Rock. It is about 500 yards from shore and really amazing. There is a dive shop that you can rent equipment and ask questions and they may have a map of the reef. There are some other Threads about it, even some with pictures, you can look for more details.

We didn't go to the Turtle farm while we were there. I had heard that you don't get to swim with the turtles, they are in tanks or lagoons, so we skippied it on this trip.

We didn't go to the Turtle farm while we were there. I had heard that you don't get to swim with the turtles, they are in tanks or lagoons, so we skippied it on this trip.

There is a lagoon for snorkeling, but it doesn't say if there are turtles in the water. This is from the site:

Gear up for a snorkeling experience of a lifetime! This Lagoon is filled with thousands of colorful marine life; so get in and make acquaintance with our underwater natives. One of the most exciting features of our lagoon is the underwater viewing panel that looks directly into our Predator's Reff for a chance to come nose to nose with a shark!

There is a lagoon for snorkeling, but it doesn't say if there are turtles in the water. This is from the site:

Gear up for a snorkeling experience of a lifetime! This Lagoon is filled with thousands of colorful marine life; so get in and make acquaintance with our underwater natives. One of the most exciting features of our lagoon is the underwater viewing panel that looks directly into our Predator's Reff for a chance to come nose to nose with a shark!

How far from the cruise port is the lagoon?

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering about this as well. We will be visiting Grand Cayman with Carnival for the first time in March 2013. I am a sea turtle FANATIC!! I can't wait to see these creatures! I was wondering about going through Boatswain's farm or seeing them in their real natural habitat and possibly swimming with them. If anyone else has any experience/stories regarding this, I'd love to hear them!! Thanks!

I was wondering about this also we have already booked a 4.5 hr dolphin swim/stingray city tour with our cruise line so we should leave at 8 and hopefully be back or at least at seven mile beach by 1230. Our ship leaves at 4 so we need to be back by 3 would we have time to get fro the ship or seven mile beach to the turtle farm and back by 3? Thanks!

I was wondering about this as well. We will be visiting Grand Cayman with Carnival for the first time in March 2013. I am a sea turtle FANATIC!! I can't wait to see these creatures! I was wondering about going through Boatswain's farm or seeing them in their real natural habitat and possibly swimming with them. If anyone else has any experience/stories regarding this, I'd love to hear them!! Thanks!

I would say the place is like a very small marine park. A few sharks, a small bird aviary, a swimming pool, and the lagoon. Then, they have the turtles...the turtle farm is just what it says. There are huge tanks (maybe 15?maybe more) with turtles of all ages. One tank, will have one year old turtles. Then, the next tank, will have 2 year olds, etc. You can reach in and pick up a turtle and have your picture taken. Lots of fun for the kids. But, the turtles are in metal tanks. There is a little lake that has the huge older turtles in it (probably the breeders).

The Lagoon. It's not worth it. We snorkeled it and there was only one turtle. It's a man made "lagoon", it has drainage grates at the bottom, no beautiful fish, coral, etc. Nothing. Just a basic green bottom. Very disappointing and very sad.

I am a turtle lover. Here are some places that we have really spent time with them in their natural habitat: Barbados has a great snorkeling excursion and so does St Thomas (really St John). In St Thomas, I snorkeled with a turtle and my husband for a good 30 minutes. Just the three of us! And, we just returned from Bonaire, where we swam many turtles in the wild (out on No Name beach).

I guess what I am saying is, the turtle farm isn't the place to swim with the turtles. Very disappointing. But, if you want to see the little ones and pick them up, then it would be worth the drive.

Thanks for the reply, I just really want to get up close and personal with these creatures. Snorkeling with them in the wild would be my dream! I guess the turtle farm may be worth it just to get a chance to hold the turtles. I still have PLENTY of time to do my research, LOL!!

Archived