Can I comment on kids/toddlers/babies on cruises?

It s not the babies or the toddlers...its the older ones 10-17 that cause most of the trouble. :eek:

I'm sure that this age range causes grief in some cases...however, the biggest group I have problems with are the drunk, obnoxious, arrogant adults that think they are gods gift to cruising. Frankly, most kids I've come across in all my cruises have been much better behaved then many of the adults on the same cruise.

Mike

Hey Shar,

Let me know when you want to cruise together! You did a very eloquent job in getting the point across. As I mentioned in my post, I have had far more unpleasant experiences with rude adults than I have with children. As responsible parents, if one of our kids is "acting up", we remove them so as to not be considerate of others, remind them of their manners and better behavior, and then go back to what we were doing once they are under control.

Honestly, how many teens have you seen without their parents at the shows, formal dining rooms, solarium, etc? Hardly any, why? Because it is boring to them! They'd rather be hanging out at the teen club or by the pools at night with their new friends. Come on people, don't you remember what it was like when you were a teenager?

I'm sure that this age range causes grief in some cases...however, the biggest group I have problems with are the drunk, obnoxious, arrogant adults that think they are gods gift to cruising. Frankly, most kids I've come across in all my cruises have been much better behaved then many of the adults on the same cruise.

Mike

Thank you Mike. That is so true. There were at least 250 kids on our Radiance cruise in February, and we never noticed any "unacceptable" behavior....what we DID see though, were several drunk, unruly and obnoxious ADULTS...

Wonder if they were sent back to their cabins? :confused:

Thank you Mike. That is so true. There were at least 250 kids on our Radiance cruise in February, and we never noticed any "unacceptable" behavior....what we DID see though, were several drunk, unruly and obnoxious ADULTS...

Wonder if they were sent back to their cabins? :confused:

So true, CkRobyn. Bottom line...I think we all agree that the parents have the responsibility to teach kids proper norms and behaviour for when they are in public. If the kids get out of line, the parents are responsible, legally at least and ethically as well to rectify. My point has also been howeveer that at the same time, adults have a responsibility for their OWN behaviour and should be held to the same high standard that kids are held too...if not a higher standard. In my humble opinion, of course.

Michael

So true, CkRobyn. Bottom line...I think we all agree that the parents have the responsibility to teach kids proper norms and behaviour for when they are in public. If the kids get out of line, the parents are responsible, legally at least and ethically as well to rectify. My point has also been howeveer that at the same time, adults have a responsibility for their OWN behaviour and should be held to the same high standard that kids are held too...if not a higher standard. In my humble opinion, of course.

Michael

Of course ;)

We are bringing the older boys in the fall. We are leaving the baby (who will be just over 1 year) and toddler (who will be 2 1/2) home with anyone we can con into watching them (a combonation of Grandma, Aunt and babysitter).. We just don't feel that they will be old enough to enjoy the experience and we feel like we would spend our entire vacation running after them.

The older two, 6 an 8, are old enough to enjoy the kids club and spend time with us doing things we all can enjoy. Just assess your needs and don't worry about what others are thinking as long as you have things under control. If your child is screaming step out of the restaurant etc.

Hun....family vacations are just that...Family! Consider your child fortunate to beable to travel to exotic desninations at such a young age. My children (now grown) were exposed to family vacations and travel through out their young lives. They are now "world" travelers.

Talk about judgemental. You seem to read more into what I wrote that I said.

dc-snoopy,

I think you are taking this a little too personally. I was talking about "a lot of people on these threads". The only reason I chose your quote as it kind of brought the whole conversation to a head for me. (broke the camels back you might say)

I have read quite a few of your threads and find that you usually try to be tolerant of most issues that are not always tolerated very well on these threads.

Just stating an overall opinion at no one in particular. If anyone happens to see themselves in my post, so be it.

Sharonna

Hey Shar,

Let me know when you want to cruise together! You did a very eloquent job in getting the point across.

boatbunny,

Thank you very much. It wasn't easy. We all know that posting an unpopular opinion does not usually go over very well.

Sometimes you just have to let it out.

Sharonna

boatbunny,

Thank you very much. It wasn't easy. We all know that posting an unpopular opinion does not usually go over very well.

Sometimes you just have to let it out.

Sharonna

Shar,

You had the courage to say what many of us really want to say, but don't.

I have been, to use a CC phrase...."flamed" a few times, and it was ugly. Sometimes I want to express my "true" opinion on certain issues, but find myself holding back with a legitimate fear of being "flamed".

I can't sit back and read some of these negative posts about cruising with kids and say nothing. I do not expect people to agree with me, that's not why I post on here....I just hope that we can all be understanding and tolerant of eachother, if we can do that....then we can get back to what really makes us ALL happy...

CRUISING :D

dc-snoopy,

I think you are taking this a little too personally. I was talking about "a lot of people on these threads". The only reason I chose your quote as it kind of brought the whole conversation to a head for me. (broke the camels back you might say)

I have read quite a few of your threads and find that you usually try to be tolerant of most issues that are not always tolerated very well on these threads.

Just stating an overall opinion at no one in particular. If anyone happens to see themselves in my post, so be it.

Sharonna

Thank you. By quoting my text, if definitely felt like you were highlighting my post as one of those intolerant people, which I try not to be (and occasionally fail at).

If we were placed at a table in the main dining room with children, I would insist on a different table. A cruise ship is a closed environment, we have to deal with children in certain areas, but won't tolerate one at our table.

Wow.....equating a child to an inanimate object...."but won't tolerate one at our table" I assume by "one" you mean a child?

That's classic. :(

malsha-

There are many well behaved children aboard, and from your post you seem to be a concerned parent. I'm sure you will all have a wonderful time and guests will commend you on how well behaved your child is.

Enjoy your cruise :)

[quote name='CustomCruzr']If we were placed at a table in the main dining room with children, I would insist on a different table. A cruise ship is a closed environment, we have to deal with children in certain areas, but won't tolerate one at our table.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad there are people like you out there who are "intolerant" and will "insist" on being moved. I wish more people would be so blunt. Makes life soooooo much happier for those of us who are willing to sit with children.

Might I suggest to anyone who wants to avoid socialization with such strongly opinionated people (I'm willing to bet kids aren't the only thing that isn't "tolerated" by some) to bring along an Inflate-a-Child? One sight of the lilttle monster in the main dining room and offensive tablemates will be off and running to find new seating assignments. And just think with little Blow Up Buddy, you can leave him in a chaise all day. That's not chair hogging right? A little person is actually occupying it. I bet you'll even have better conversation than you would with some of the "intolerant" folks on the cruise. :D

We definitely prefer not to sit with children at our table at dinner - that's one reason why we choose late seating. But does that mean we think parents shouldn't bring their kids on a cruise? Of course not.

[quote name='CustomCruzr']If we were placed at a table in the main dining room with children, I would insist on a different table. A cruise ship is a closed environment, we have to deal with children in certain areas, [U]but won't tolerate one at our table[/U].[/QUOTE]

Good thing you'd make the first move because I know if I were stuck sitting with someone like you, I'd definitely ask to be moved.

[quote name='Soxfan05']I'm glad there are people like you out there who are "intolerant" and will "insist" on being moved. I wish more people would be so blunt. Makes life soooooo much happier for those of us who are willing to sit with children.

Might I suggest to anyone who wants to avoid socialization with such strongly opinionated people (I'm willing to bet kids aren't the only thing that isn't "tolerated" by some) to bring along an Inflate-a-Child? One sight of the lilttle monster in the main dining room and offensive tablemates will be off and running to find new seating assignments. And just think with little Blow Up Buddy, you can leave him in a chaise all day. That's not chair hogging right? A little person is actually occupying it. I bet you'll even have better conversation than you would with some of the "intolerant" folks on the cruise. :D[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHA Even though you are a Sox fan (I'm a Yankee fan) you are ok in my book ;)

I have no problem with supervised kiddos. I don't have kids, so I have a question that's been bothering me for a while, perhaps someone can help me out. I'm serious.

When do you stop counting a kiddos age in months and just say he's 2 years old, 3 years old? Is 23 months meaningful?

[quote name='cruzincurt']I have no problem with supervised kiddos. I don't have kids, so I have a question that's been bothering me for a while, perhaps someone can help me out. I'm serious.

When do you stop counting a kiddos age in months and just say he's 2 years old, 3 years old? Is 23 months meaningful?[/QUOTE]

LOL I think I stopped counting in months when my daughter turned 2.

[quote name='CustomCruzr']If we were placed at a table in the main dining room with children, I would insist on a different table. A cruise ship is a closed environment, we have to deal with children in certain areas, but won't tolerate one at our table.[/QUOTE]

Whoa.....that's pretty narrow minded.......and that opinion is coming from someone that has zero tolerence for kids in an extended time frame. They could be the cutest kids for all you know, and you won't know if you don't give it a a night or two to find out....:rolleyes: ....too bad, you might miss some real Kodak moments....:p

[quote name='SissasMomE']HAHAHAHA Even though you are a Sox fan (I'm a Yankee fan) you are ok in my book ;)[/QUOTE]

That's okay, I'm a mom of twin boys. One Yankee fan, one Red Sox fan! We came to Yankee Stadium last spring. What a blast! The Yankees fans got a kick out of our boys one in a Schilling jersey the other in an A-Rod. We even got free drinks sent to us at restaurants from New Yorkers who thought it was a hoot.

Hello cruise addicts. I have lurked on these boards for some months now and have gotten a lot of good information from you. Thank you.

I decided to post now as this is an issue that is of much interest to me. My sister and I are taking my 6 year old granddaughter and her 8 year old daughter on the Monarch of the Seas in July for a 4 night Baja cruise. My sister and I have both cruised before, but never with small children. This will be the first cruise for both of the young girls.

As for kids in general on cruise ships, it does not bother me in the least. I was on the HAL Ryndam to the Sea of Cortez in March and there were only a small handful of kids on the ship and I did not see much of them at all. Although the cruise overall was wonderful, and many of the passengers delightful, my husband and I decided that we will never cruise with Holland America again. Our only complaint regarding the 10 day cruise and several excursions was the whining and complaining and utter rudeness of some of the passengers. Several of them made rude remarks to us for no apparent reason other than we were younger than them. My husband and I are by no means spring chickens (in our 50's). This was such a problem that I finally told my husband to be sure not to make eye contact with any of them. A HAL cruise at any time other than school holidays would probably be a good bet for anyone who does not like cruising with kids. It is just not the line for us.

If anyone makes rude remarks to us on our upcoming cruise just because we have children with us, the girls will probably just stick their tongues out at them.

Archived