Embarkation tips for NCL Dawn?

Robbo66

Firstly, I'd like to say a big 'thank you' to everyone who takes the time to post news and views on this site. It has been a great help researching and planning our forthcoming trip.

I just wondered if anyone could help us get the best of the embarkation in NYC, because it sounds daunting. We are from the UK so will be coming to the port by taxi. Any tips? :)

We drive to the pier, and generally try to arrive by 11:00/11:30 am to beat the crowd. Depending upon what time the Dawn returns and disembarks, you may have to wait a bit, but we have been fortunate on our three cruises that she returned on time. There is a small snack bar at the pier, restrooms, and a waiting area that will get pretty crowded as embarkation approaches.

As for traffic, I've read many posts like the first reply, recommending your taxi drop you off across the street. Depending on the date you leave, and where you will be that morning, try and find out if anything major is happening in NYC that day so you can plan your arrival. We ran into traffic on one cruise when there was a large Gay/Lesbian Parade in town. New York likes parades and celebrations!

Once on board, we head to our cabin, check it out, and then being your first time, take a quick trip around the ship, like decks 6, 7, 12, and topside, then head to Venetian for a nice lunch overlooking the Hudson (ask to be seated at the rear if possible). By the time you finish your lunch, your bags may have been delivered to your cabin.

On June 12th we will be taking our 5th cruise out of NYC, the 2nd on the Dawn. We always drive in. We like to get there early. Sometime between 10 - 10:30am. At that point there is little traffic, no large crowds as of yet and we usually breeze down the ramp, drop off our luggage and breeze up to the parking lot. We then park, go down stairs and wait to board. We bring magazines, etc to pass the time. Last year we were on board, checked out our suite and went to lunch by Noon. Personally, we would prefer to arrive early and wait a bit in the waiting area and be some of the first on board. It gives us almost a full afternoon to explore and enjoy the ship. Much better then arriving later and dealing with the mad rush.

Get there by cab 1/2 hour before the ship is set to sail and you'll whiz through!

No hassles with luggage and people disembarking, no problems.

Seems to me I remember a story last year of a group that tried that and were left standing on the pier. Read the NCL documentation. Just like ports of call everyone is expected to be onboard 30 minutes before departure time.

If you want the least confusion plan on getting to the pier just after 2 pm. The 2500 getting off are gone, the 1500 that line up early are onboard, and you have the best chance of quickly boarding the Dawn.

Archived