alcohol in soda bottles, will it work??

I know, it is far away, but the first S&S sold out by May for an October cruise, so we wanted to get an early start, LOL... It'll be here before ya know it! Come see us on the S&S thread, would love to have ya!!!

Nanette, I agree... I found it offensive to. If I want to bring a bottle along so I can have a drink on my balcony at any time I want, without having to go to the bar or wait for it.... if I want to have a drink before dinner or after the bars close in my cabin, that does not make me cheap... Carnival does not go hurting with my S&S bill, that's for sure, I have no guilt. However, I don't go to the lengths some go to... I pack it along in it's original container.... the minute it becomes "work" is the minute I say "forget it!!!!!" It's vacation :D

I don't find it offensive because I don't really care..... I did bring..... uh several...... bottles on my last cruise and my bar bill was.... well.... alot:eek:

Never hid it. original bottles in checked luggage..... You won't have a problem on the Conquest......

I also wouldn't sneek candy into movie theatres... And i don't mind what Carnival "makes" off of me, because i plan my vacation, which includes spending money put aside. So let's all let our hair down, relax, and smile, always take things in perspective, as to walk around looking to be offended by a different point of view which isn't set in stone.

I also wouldn't sneek candy into movie theatres... And i don't mind what Carnival "makes" off of me, because i plan my vacation, which includes spending money put aside. So let's all let our hair down, relax, and smile, always take things in perspective, as to walk around looking to be offended by a different point of view which isn't set in stone.

A different point of view is fine and acceptable - however when you call some one chinsy - that is offensive to me as well. Please explain how it is

not.

On my recent Pride trip we had a flower lei with a couple of nips woven into it - this was for a charity auction we were having on board. The liquor ****'s at the dock confiscated it. and we were NOT given it back at the end of the trip.

I really wonder what happens to all the liquor confiscated - when it was not held "for safe keeping" as promised.

I also wouldn't sneak candy into a movie theatre :rolleyes: However, if I want to have a drink on my balcony and enjoy sitting out there, I should be able to without going through a huge effort to do so. Carnival gets about $150 a day out of me on drinks, having a couple of my own cocktails in my cabin isn't going to kill them :rolleyes:

Offering a point of view is one thing, not fully understanding the reasoning behind why one does things, and then calling them "chinsy" is another... and offensive to many.

When I go to the movie theater, I love to enjoy a large bag of popcorn. Movie theater popcorn is like nothing else! But I absolutely refuse to pay $4 for three times as much soda as I need, especially when I know it costs them 5 cents of syrup per drink. So I bring my own bottle of water or can of Coke. Does that make me cheap? Perhaps. But I think it is smart and practical.

We are boarding the Conquest this Sunday, and we plan to take a small bottle of rum and a small bottle of vodka in the checked luggage to mix with fruit punch, lemonade and iced tea. Along with a 12 pack or two of our favorite sodas. I don't care if you call us cheap, because I realize that we are. I just don't believe in paying $3 for a can of Coke or outrageous prices for mixed drinks.

However, I take offense at the guy who posted something along the lines of "if you're too chinsey to buy alcohol, then don't cruise, because cheap people don't belong on cruises."

Different people have different financial situations. I marvel at all of you who take three cruises a year for the past 10 years. For me, this is only my second cruise in all of my 32 years. To me, it is an extravagance that I am willing to spend to celebrate our anniversary. But money is tight, so I'm not going to be throwing away $150 per day on drinks. Sorry.

Let me go on the rocord as saying: "My name is Dennis and I'm a cheap-skate!"

I will be taking liquor on board with me because I don't want to pay $4-$6 for every mixed drink I will enjoy on my cruises. Not to say I won't spend money at the bars because I will as I have no plans on taking beer with me but I am not going to make alcohol my major S&S charges. What cruise lines do is gouge the consumer because you are a "captive audience". They have you there and know that they can charge you extremely inflated prices because you have no alternative.

I'm the guy who finds the deals to get the best value for my dollar. I shop around. I am not a proponent of giving money away to companies who over charge for a product when this other guy can give it to me for less with better service.

To all who think people who bring alcohol on board are "cheap" think about this...

You can buy a bottle of of liquor on the ship for under $10 duty free, sometimes you can get 2 bottles for this price. Why should the cruise line be able to charge you $4 for 1/22 of this same bottle???

You may call it cheap, I call it frugality. I work hard for my money and want to get the best value for it. If that means that I bring some beverages from home, then so be it.

Alcohol in soda cans ? What is this like Michael Jackson action ? OK, if your going to be that chinnsey, just don't take the cruise.... You shouldn't half to do stuff like that on vacation.... A cruise is a trip that you should save for and not be tight about.... I understand drinks can get pricey, but if you want a quick buzz, you can surely take care of that on the cheap at your next shore excursion... Am I making sense at all, anyone else agree with me on that one ???? :confused:

Quick....someone get the oxygen.:rolleyes:

On our first cruise my boyfriend & I packed in our suitcase rum from home simply because we didn't want to walk to the bar from the balcony to get a drink all of the time. We packed it in the original container, nothing special. When we were outside of the room we definately purchased drinks at the bar but when you're fresh out of the shower sitting on your balcony in your bathrobe, walking to the bar is not as appealing as dipping into your stash to make a rum & iced tea drink on the rocks.:p

Hrrrm. We always bring our own drinks on board. Pre-mixed margaritas, crown, captin, or whatever. Does this make us cheap? Maybe. However, we continue to purchase drinks, art, and other items from Carnival while we do this. I usually pack these items in my checked luggage.

On the Fantasy, I had guts to pack those big cans of Foster's in my carry on luggage. I had 8 BIG cans that they sell on the ship for $5.75 (price?). I walked through the X-Ray and onto the ship. No questions asked. Would I do this again? Probably not.. :)

Usually checked luggage is your best bet for getting drinks onboard. Who does not like having a nice drink on the balcony??

To bring your or own Or not to bring your own....

such is a timeless question.

Is it being cheap?

do you need to disguise it? become a smuggler?

Is it breaking the rules? Are you a rule breaker?

Or are you providing yourself with a comfort/luxury at your own comfort level?

whatever prespective you have, someone will have another point of view!

So, do what you are comfortable with,

Hide it, don't hide it,

buy some on board drinks, or don't.

consider it a rule infraction, consider it highway robbery...

right, wrong........

whats the point?

drink of the day on the ship averaged at 2.95 (not with glass)

Is this alot of money for a drink, that depends greatly on where you live.

Alchol is always over priced no matter where you buy it when drinking away from home. if you compare bottle prices to per glass price. But thats the cost of being out.

would I go on a drinking binge for 7 days straight going out each day or night and having several cocktails? well I wouldn't at home but, on vacation, I do allow myself to embive more.

now the question what can I actuallay afford?

We have an average bar tab on an evening out @ home of $75.

we run slightly higher daily on a cruise.

We budget for this and also bring small bottles from home to enjoy in our cabins for the ease if it.

who exactly am I hurting because of this?????

We've taken liquor onboard (Princess and RCCL) in carry on luggage as well as checked luggage and never had a problem with either. We've also checked in and gotten back off the ship and then brought it back on in carry ons and again no problems.

Good luck!

Alcohol in soda cans ? What is this like Michael Jackson action ? OK, if your going to be that chinnsey, just don't take the cruise.... You shouldn't half to do stuff like that on vacation.... A cruise is a trip that you should save for and not be tight about.... I understand drinks can get pricey, but if you want a quick buzz, you can surely take care of that on the cheap at your next shore excursion... Am I making sense at all, anyone else agree with me on that one ???? :confused:

I hope no one is truly offended by a bad statement. I have $300/month student loans and employed as a social worker. BIG bills, little paycheck. I take my own stash on board. I am CHINNSEY with my money, but generous with my heart! :p

Southbayer, did you forget what is like to struggle or ever had to struggle?

I must comment on what a poor statement you made! It is your opinion and you are entitled to it but it was not very nice. Shame on you!:(

I hope no one is truly offended by a bad statement. I have $300/month student loans and employed as a social worker. BIG bills, little paycheck. I take my own stash on board. I am CHINNSEY with my money, but generous with my heart! :p

Southbayer, did you forget what is like to struggle or ever had to struggle?

I totally agree, I am a single mother who saves up for a nice vacation because I NEED a vacation!! :)

To bring your or own Or not to bring your own....

such is a timeless question.

Is it being cheap?

do you need to disguise it? become a smuggler?

Is it breaking the rules? Are you a rule breaker?

Or are you providing yourself with a comfort/luxury at your own comfort level?

whatever prespective you have, someone will have another point of view!

So, do what you are comfortable with,

Hide it, don't hide it,

buy some on board drinks, or don't.

consider it a rule infraction, consider it highway robbery...

right, wrong........

whats the point?

drink of the day on the ship averaged at 2.95 (not with glass)

Is this alot of money for a drink, that depends greatly on where you live.

Alchol is always over priced no matter where you buy it when drinking away from home. if you compare bottle prices to per glass price. But thats the cost of being out.

would I go on a drinking binge for 7 days straight going out each day or night and having several cocktails? well I wouldn't at home but, on vacation, I do allow myself to embive more.

now the question what can I actuallay afford?

We have an average bar tab on an evening out @ home of $75.

we run slightly higher daily on a cruise.

We budget for this and also bring small bottles from home to enjoy in our cabins for the ease if it.

who exactly am I hurting because of this?????

$2.95 for the drink of the day outside the glass? I thought it was more like $5.95 and with the glass, closer to $7.

As far as budgeting drinking in my normal routine, I don't do it. I don't go out to the bars and clubs because that has never been my thing and because my wife is diabetic so her alcohol intake has to be very limited. I don't drink frequently either. I've had too many bad hang-overs that I remember all too well with the last one giving my the dry heaves for 1 1/2 days.

In all likelihood, I won't even finsh the alcohol I bring on board with me and will donate it to my steward at the end of the cruise but at least I'll have it as an option for me to save some $$$ so the next cruise can be paid for a little easier!

phlydude wrote:

In all likelihood, I won't even finsh the alcohol I bring on board with me

we take 6 small bottles (not the really small ones but the back pocket kind) of different varietals of liquor ,rums, liqueurs, gins, vodka, jack, brandy etc. we also buy, specialty bottles of liquor while on islands. we always bring home liquor!! :)

don't get me wrong we really aren't much more than social drinkers (even though its a hard case to beleive after expressing the stash) but, on vacation Hey!!

If I take my bottle of "Evian water", do you Carnival veterans suggest I pack my Evian water in my checked luggage, or in my carry-on? Or should I just put it in a rum bottle, seal it up and pack it as checked luggage?;)

What's my best bet?

If I take my bottle of "Evian water", do you Carnival veterans suggest I pack my Evian water in my checked luggage, or in my carry-on? Or should I just put it in a rum bottle, seal it up and pack it as checked luggage?;)

What's my best bet?

It's Perrier and water! :D

What's my best bet?

You've got the right idea, kiddo. I'd go just one step further:

Remove your Evian from your checked rum bottle, transfer it into a Listerine bottle, and carry it on.;)

(In which case, Carnival will NEVER catch 'ya!)

Archived