Liberty of the Seas TA April 14, 2012 FLL-BCN

091971Cruiser

As for Nassau, I think we might not even get off the boat. Seems every time we go there it gets less appealing. Who knows what will happen the day we make port.

That's my plan. I haven't bothered to get off a ship in Nassau in ages. Just having to walk through the cruise terminal gives me the icks. I'd rather spend the day by the Solarium and have it all to myself before the sea days when it will either be crowded or too chilly for swimming. And the Windjammer won't be a zoo either.

I sent you an email ... Larry & I would like to join you for dinner.

On our recent Royal Caribbean experiences, things have changed for their loyalty program. Diamond members get free wine at the get togethers. Cocktails are available at discount pricing. Diamond+ members still get the full bar treatment but in a seperate lounge.

Since we are only Diamond members, we met in the Dungeon (4 or 6 of us each evening) for free wine. BORING! And there was no finger food!

David

I think with the swollen ranks of Diamond member they did that on most of the ships. I think for the TA's they still allow all D and D+ folks into the big lounge for drinks of all types! They did it in Oct on our last TA and expect they will do the same on this one. It makes for one hell of a party. :cool::D

What ship was that on? I know that on most ships it's limited to free wine and sometimes sodas (each ship is different). But supposedly on Allure, Oasis, Liberty, Independenc and Freedom (the ones with a dedicated Diamond Lounge) they provide a "full" bar and hors d'oeuvres. Do you mean those particular ships no longer offer it?

We were on Navigator in January. As Diamond members we were invited for evening jollies in the Dungeon. All that was available was wine (and I think Champagne). Dry snacks (like pretzels) were available for snacks. There was no other finger food. I don't know where Diamond+ members gathered.

David

We were on Navigator in January. As Diamond members we were invited for evening jollies in the Dungeon. All that was available was wine (and I think Champagne). Dry snacks (like pretzels) were available for snacks. There was no other finger food. I don't know where Diamond+ members gathered.

David

Okay, that makes sense. Navigator wouldn't offer anything more than wine or possibly soda and the dry snacks since they don't have a dedicated Diamond Lounge. It should be better on Liberty (fingers crossed).

I certainly hope they don't change things, as we really enjoyed the lounge for free drinks. When I spoke with the folks in the lounge last cruise they gave no mention that it would not be the same, but who knows. I think for these TA's they really try to thank the folks who are D and D+ with this nice benefit.

Cruise Pup is correct about the Diamond Lounge having cocktails etc for Diamond and above C&A on the ships listed. A Diamond Lounge was also added to Radiance during drydock last spring. Seems to be the new trend.

Nassau isn't my cup of tea either, but makes a good place to stock up for last minute bar items if you can get them back on board.

Over on the 'other' cruisecritic board I just posted the results from some behind the scenes work with Spain Day Tours. They were the company selected by cruisecritic members to take a group from Malaga to the Alhambra for 79 Euros plus 13 Euros admission. Read my post. Now it's 58 Euros including admission. It's not an easy tour for most, since you have to drag out of bed and be dockside at 615am. Well, so does everyone else. Sleep on the bus. You will be rewarded by one of the most exquisite sites in Spain, even if only for a 4 hour guided tour at the Alhambra. If you are not personally interested but you know someone else on the cruise, please share this wonderful opportunity with them. I thank you in advance, and will repay your kindness with whatever it takes. Doug

See how well we can all get along?? Seriously I do hope everyone will consider joining this tour. BTW. Has anyone unexpectedly found a bottle of liquor in their suitcase? I"m only asking because Bob/mouth might find one in his bags and I want to tell him what to do with it if he does. Also, if it did find one, what kind should he find?

See how well we can all get along?? Seriously I do hope everyone will consider joining this tour.

I would sign up but I've already visited the Granada back in my college days. Ferdinand and Isabella were most charming hosts.;) But I agree it is pretty amazing. Fortunately my tour also had time to visit the Royal Chapel which is breathtaking.

BTW. Has anyone unexpectedly found a bottle of liquor in their suitcase? I"m only asking because Bob/mouth might find one in his bags and I want to tell him what to do with it if he does. Also, if it did find one, what kind should he find?

No but one time they delivered someone else's liquor to my cabin on the last night. I reported it to my cabin steward. What was I thinking?!!!

Hi Doug,

Is there a link or additional info about the tour to The Alhambra?

I was wondering what the travel time is from the ship to T. A. and from T.A. back to the ship or if there were any other sights along the way?

Thanks,

Larry

Over on the 'other' cruisecritic board I just posted the results from some behind the scenes work with Spain Day Tours. They were the company selected by cruisecritic members to take a group from Malaga to the Alhambra for 79 Euros plus 13 Euros admission. Read my post. Now it's 58 Euros including admission. It's not an easy tour for most, since you have to drag out of bed and be dockside at 615am. Well, so does everyone else. Sleep on the bus. You will be rewarded by one of the most exquisite sites in Spain, even if only for a 4 hour guided tour at the Alhambra. If you are not personally interested but you know someone else on the cruise, please share this wonderful opportunity with them. I thank you in advance, and will repay your kindness with whatever it takes. Doug

check post #1402 on the Liberty Roll Call board for April 14 for details:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1392399&page=71

The Liberty is scheduled to be docked in Malaga from 6am-3pm. Road travel time between the dock and Alhambra in Granada is almost 2hours each way. We will travel as a large group, then split into smaller groups of 10-18 for the guided tours inside the Alhambra. These tours are scheduled to last 2.5-3 hours. When you allow minimum time to make sure everyone is on the bus in the morning, and no one is left in Granada the afternoon, there is no time left for real sight seeing stops along the way there or back. I am not a rep for the tour company, I only negotiated a discounted price. That ends my official story.

The tour information is also listed on the official website found on the Cruise Critic Roll Call Board for April 14. It comes directly from Spain Day Tours. To join the tour or for other questions, please email me directly at FL352@aol.com. Doug

check post #1402 on the Liberty Roll Call board for April 14 for details:

The Liberty is scheduled to be docked in Malaga from 6am-3pm. Road travel time between the dock and Alhambra in Granada is almost 2hours each way. We will travel as a large group, then split into smaller groups of 10-18 for the guided tours inside the Alhambra. These tours are scheduled to last 2.5-3 hours. When you allow minimum time to make sure everyone is on the bus in the morning, and no one is left in Granada the afternoon, there is no time left for real sight seeing stops along the way there or back. I am not a rep for the tour company, I only negotiated a discounted price. That ends my official story.

The tour information is also listed on the official website found on the Cruise Critic Roll Call Board for April 14. It comes directly from Spain Day Tours. To join the tour or for other questions, please email me directly at FL352@aol.com. Doug

I hope you dont mind, I would love to use it too!!:)

I would think with the early call for the Alhambra tour you will be happier to have that 2 hr bus ride to sleep. There really is nothing to see in terms of scenery anyway except for a peek at the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Recently I took a cruise to Israel and we had the same deal going to Masada. A long bus ride for a relatively short visit but I found it more than worthwhile to have the opportunity to visit such an amazing site. I think you'll feel the same way about the Alhambra especially with the amazing deal struck by Doug.

Cruise Pup has the right idea about this tour. Unfortunately, time in Malaga is limited, and to see the Alhambra requires getting up early, and a lengthy trek there and back. But it's sort of like going to the Rome and the Vatican City without a reservation for the Sistine Chapel. Would you stand in line 2 hours to get to the ticket window or just skip seeing the Sistine Chapel? It's a choice we each have to make. Doug

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the information and arranging the tour even though you are not going. David and I are still trying to make the decesion in regard to the four hour bus ride. We both throughly enjoy the ships especially when everyone goes off on tours. :)

We were just in Malaga in late November and enjoy strolling the city.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Larry

Liberty Roll Call board for April 14 for details:

Well since the fares went down, even for single occupancy cabins, I am happy to note that one of my very best friends will be joining us on this cruise as well! As a last minute effort if you are interested in eating at the 8:30 time with a group of the FOD make sure I have your full name and your res # so we can call RCI and get our reservations linked.

2gacruise at gmail dot com

Getting excited :D closer than we think!!!

:) ps. I went to Marbella and Puerto Banus/ near Malaga...several years ago, and LOVED IT , LOVED IT!!! Anybody interested in sharing costs for either car rental or being adventuresome and getting on the city bus to this gem of a spot?

Getting excited :D closer than we think!!!

:) ps. I went to Marbella and Puerto Banus/ near Malaga...several years ago, and LOVED IT , LOVED IT!!! Anybody interested in sharing costs for either car rental or being adventuresome and getting on the city bus to this gem of a spot?

Hi tvlman (aka????),

Are there specific sights in Marbella and Puerto Banus or do you just enjoy the cities? Any idea about travel time to these two cities from Malaga if we hire a car and the cost?

Larry

Hi tvlman (aka????),

Are there specific sights in Marbella and Puerto Banus or do you just enjoy the cities? Any idea about travel time to these two cities from Malaga if we hire a car and the cost?

Larry

Hi Larry, travel time is aprox 45min -1 hour from the Malaga cruise port to Marbella/Puerto Banus.

I posted some info about my past experience in both towns on the Roll call for our cruise. I have attached here for you.

"Puerto Banus is a chic seaside marina with many outdoor cafes, bars and exclusive shops. I want a repeat of what I experienced several year ago, when I just relaxed and watched the yachts go by, people watch, with a cocktail in hand and the sun on face! Very Relaxing!

Marbella with its Casco Antiguo (Old Quarter) is a gem of small village with interesting architecture, cafes, shops and restaurants. There is a beautiful historic churh there. Marbella and Puerto Banus are close in proximity to each other (about 15minutes), so both are do-able."

I am compiling a list of those interested and will research costs for car rental depending on the number of people who respond.

Please advise if you have any suggestions concerning reputable car rental companies in Malaga.

So far, Pastrodonna (cruise critic member) has recommended using Prima Car rental, she has no direct experience with them.

I have read 4 reviews which were positive. They offer Pickup and Dropoff at the Malaga cruise port, which is a def. time-saver!

I will research EuropeCar and EasyCar and AutoEurope.

Thanks Fabio:)

Archived