Zuiderdam Completely Obstructed Cabin

bas7

Hi,

First, just wanted to say that this site is awesome, and always a nice place to come visit.

April 9th, 2005 sailing on the Zuiderdam will be my second sailing ever. First sailing was this past December, on the Volendam, Christmas Wayfarer 2004. It was a wonderful first experience sailing.. Loved the ship, and great crew. When I booked the Volendam, I booked it as an inside guarantee, and was very surprised to find that I had been upgraded to an oceanview cabin, with no obstructions. On the April 9th sailing on the Zui, I thought I would book the same way with my TA. They said the price was the same for an inside as an oceanview. However, my oceanview has turned out to be a completely obstructed one, cabin 4086. I think I speak English well. When they say completely obstructed, does that mean absolutely no sunlight whatsoever? Maybe, I'll be lucky again with an upgrade, however, I plan for a Happy Sailing oceanview completely obstructed or not

Thanks for any feedback.

Best,

As always,

Bruce

First Time Doing This:

Holland America's Volendam, December 2004

Holland America's Zuiderdam, April 2005

The completely obstructed view is probably of a steel bulkhead about 8 feet across the promenade deck (or a lifeboat if you're on upper prom.). You'll still get plenty of light. but you'll have to put your face against the window and look sideways to see any sky.

You will have a lifeboat or a tender outside your window. The lifeboats are forward of midship and the tenders aft. The window is floor to ceiling and gives oodles of light. There are three obstructed cabins for each boat and it is very slightly more obstructed if you look out on the middle of the lifeboat/tender. (Look at the deck plan & you'll see what I mean.) There is quite a bit of space above the lifeboats. You'll be able to see out the top portion of the window unless you are especially short. You will also have some view of people walking below on the promenade deck.

We were on the Oosterdam, but the Zuiderdam is also vista class and the obstructed cabins should be the same. We were very pleased with our cabin.

Hello again,

Thanks so much for your knowledgeable feedback.. This certainly helps. By the way, I'm on the upper promenade.

Best,

As always,

Bruce

Have booked obstructed views before and the view is of either a bulkhead or lifeboat but if you sit just right on the sofa you can see some things.

Have fun.:o

Hi,

First, just wanted to say that this site is awesome, and always a nice place to come visit.

April 9th, 2005 sailing on the Zuiderdam will be my second sailing ever. First sailing was this past December, on the Volendam, Christmas Wayfarer 2004. It was a wonderful first experience sailing.. Loved the ship, and great crew. When I booked the Volendam, I booked it as an inside guarantee, and was very surprised to find that I had been upgraded to an oceanview cabin, with no obstructions. On the April 9th sailing on the Zui, I thought I would book the same way with my TA. They said the price was the same for an inside as an oceanview. However, my oceanview has turned out to be a completely obstructed one, cabin 4086. I think I speak English well. When they say completely obstructed, does that mean absolutely no sunlight whatsoever? Maybe, I'll be lucky again with an upgrade, however, I plan for a Happy Sailing oceanview completely obstructed or not

Thanks for any feedback.

Best,

As always,

Bruce

First Time Doing This:

Holland America's Volendam, December 2004

Holland America's Zuiderdam, April 2005

Archived