Sea Trek helmet diving excursion in Cozumel?

AXiDMonica

Hi everyone!

My husband would really (and i mean REALLY) like to do the Sea Trek helmet diving excursion while in Cozumel... but my problem is that I dont know how to swim, and i am TERRIFIED of putting my head underwater. I love the beach but only the shallow parts. I would really like to try this helmet thing but I want to know every detail of how it works from start to finish.

Have any of you done this in Cozumel? What can you tell me about the experience?

How do you get to the bottom of the ocean floor? Is there a ladder or do you just drop?

What happens if you need to come up because you freak out or because you dont feel well, etc?

How long are you down there?

Do they take you out into open water and then drop you in? Or do you do this from a pier?

So many questions... I need details! Please! :)

Thanks in advance...

I've done this excursion TWICE in Cozumel & once in Grand Cayman. (Sept 2011 was my most recent.)

This is a 2-for-1 Excursion...You get (2) Excursions for the Price of (1)...The second being Snorkeling.

This is a link to some of my photos & VIDEOS of the Sea Trek...While you're at it, feel free to check out the rest of the photos.

This is the link to the VIDEO...

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=294684217212981

This is one of my FAVORITE excursions.

When I did it in Sept my sister(who is AFRAID of water) did it with me & we had a BLAST!(She didn't want to leave.)

First of all...

You do NOT need to know how to swim. Before you enter the water they give a "presentation" on what to expect, etc.

They also have SEVERAL Professional divers IN the Water with you & Above water. (Monitoring the oxygen for the helmets.)

Because the helmets weigh approx (70)lbs on land(Approx 15 lbs UNDER WATER)...They wait to put the helmet on you just as you start Climbing the Ladder to Go "Under".

BTW....Your Hair & Face Does NOT Get Wet & you Breathe NORMAL...Just like you're breathing now & they also have a "Guide Rope" for you to hold on to underwater.

Once everyone is underwater the divers will get little critters for you to play with. (blow-fish, star-fish, etc,)

Watch my Video & you'll see EXACTLY what I mean.

Their divers are also taking photos/videos to sell after the excursion. ($50-$60 for the Photo/Video CD....Worth Every Penny.)

We took disposable cameras underwater with us to take our own pics.

My Mom & Dad did it with me in Grand Cayman...It was an 88 y/o lady that told us about many yrs ago.

I was very apprehensive because I'm not a water person either, but it's just as easy as others have described. You're really only under about 15 feet of water, and never very far from the ladder even if you did freak out. Basically it's like walking around on the sea floor, but you can breathe as if you're on land.

I took my 8 yr old grandson and he loved it. He doesn't no how to swim either. Now his daddy had to come up. He is 320 pounds and his head took up all the room in the helmet. We still laugh at him,the big chicken. The helmet is 70 pounds but when under water you can't tell it

This is awesome! Thanks to everyone for the insight... (and choc, all the pictures were awesome! I looked through everything twice, love the Triumph! :D)

This looks like a blast but I'm still so nervous about it. They just "drop" the helmet on your head and it just seals? As you can tell i'm a worrier. LOL

I think I will just go for it. Whats the worst that can happen!? Thanks again everyone!

It doesn't seal, it just rests on your shoulders. I promise, the water will not rise under your helmet. Not sure of the technical explanation because I avoided the study of all things science, but it works. :)

:) Don't know the technical/scientific stuff either, but you can the gist of how it works by taking an empty glass, turn it upside down, push it under the water of a sink full of water. The water compresses the air, but cannot displace the air. This also causes the glass/helmet to be buoyant, which is why a 70 lb helmet seems to weight 15 lbs.

I forgot to mention... You get (2) FREE drinks with that excursion.

Actually, I think they try to intoxicate you so you'll buy the pics/video.

I can't remember the number of pics on the CD, but it was enough to satisfy me.

No, they don't just DROP the helmet on your head. LOL!

They place it GENTLY on your head/shoulders.:cool:

Archived