Two Dawn Questions

TonyL200

I was on the Dawn last June and I am going on it again May 16th. There is one question that I can't seem to find the answer to. Last time I was on board, the photographers offered a freestyle package where you could get all of the pictures taken of you for about $150. Does anyone know if they still have this offer?

I was also wondering if anyone knows why they increased the prices of the specialty restaurants during the past few cruises. I was looking forward to going to a few more of them this time, but I am disappointed about the price increase.

Thanks for all of your help. Happy cruising.

Tony

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TonyL200:

I was also wondering if anyone knows why they increased the prices of the specialty restaurants during the past few cruises. I was looking forward to going to a few more of them this time, but I am disappointed about the price increase.

Tony<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess what goes up...must go up again and again and again. It never ends...gesh! icon_eek.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

<p align="center">swimgirl.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;1;30;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Countdown - Dawn 11 day cruise

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Home Lines - 5/1988

Disney Wonder - 10/1998

Carnival Triumph - 7/2002

Carnival Legend - 10/2003

NCL - Dawn - 1/2005

</P>

We were on the Dawn in August 2003 and Februsry 2004 The prices were the same both times. LeBistro was $12.50 and Gagney's was $17.00 and up. Bambo was $10.00 all you can eat and at night if you wanted to pick from the menue, price were on the menue. The main dinning rooms of course are no charge. Enjoy

Denise, thanks for the info. I was afraid of that. Oh well, I guess all good things must come to an end. I just won't spend as much on pictures then.

Cruiser12, it looks like they made the change within the last few weeks. Thanks for the info.

Tony

Hi Group

I was wondering if you know the price of the picture's they take on the Dawn, i am interested in the 5x7 size and i am sure there will be plenty since it will be me and the wife along with our 5 kid's icon_razz.gif any help would be great, trying to put money aside for them

SAL

they discontinued picture package.

6x8 $9.95

8x10 $19.95

2004-Norwegian Dawn (April)

Voyager of the Seas (July)

Miami (August)

2003-Aruba

Bahamas

Las Vegas, NV

Carnival Pride (Bermuda)

2002-Voyager of the Seas (Western)

Nordic Empress (Bermuda)

Wildwood, NJ

2001-Grand Princess (Eastern)

Jamaica

Turks & Caicos

2000-Puerto Rico

Carnival Fascination (Southern)

Turks & Caicos

1999-Las Vegas, NV

Cancun, Mexico

Paris, France

Venice, Florence, Rome, Italy

Carnival Fascination (Southern)

1998-Dominican Republic

Los Angelos, CA

Las Vegas, NV

1997-Puerto Rico

St. Maarten

Daytona Beach, FL

1996-Jamaica

Orlando,FL

Hi Happytravels,

Thank's for the info on the picture's, boy nothing is cheap, $9.95 per picture and if you don't buy them they throw them away, you would think they would sell them at half that instead of tossing them in the trash bin.

Well thank's again and "HAPPYTRAVELS" to you

SAL

• 2 weeks later...

FOR TonyL200...

We just returned from the DAWN on 5/2/04 and "miss" the ship and our experiences already.

We, too, were looking forward to the "all photo" deal and inquired about it only to find out that it has been discontinued.

Regarding the recent price increase at the specialty restaurants...it is indeed in effect. icon_frown.gif Fortunately we hadn't planned to eat in any of the additional fee restaurants with the exception of LE BISTRO which we dined in for "free" because we had purchased the $79 Anniversary package which included one dinner for two at LE BISTRO. We found this anniversary package to be a good deal!

Our experiences in each of the "fee free" main dining rooms was superb. Our favorite overall was IMPRESSIONS. The most elegantly decorated is VENETIAN (where we ate the most times due to the fact that it is the only main dining room open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner). We felt that the service was best in IMPRESSIONS and AQUA, although we found the overall ambiance and decor in AQUA not to our liking. I must share that I expected MUCH MORE of our "anniversary package" dinner in LEBISTRO, where we ate beneath a VAN GOGH painting. We both had Filet Minion with Bearnaise sauce, which was good. Two nights later we were offered the very same entree in VENETIAN, which was just as delectable. I felt the CHOCOLATE FONDUE that everyone raved about in LEBISTRO a bit overrated...ours came only with fruit to dip in the chocolate sauce. Mostly, what disappointed me in LEBISTRO was the level of service. Our experiences were much, much better in the "fee free" main dining rooms. The other things that bothered us about our LEBISTRO experience was the noise level of the restaurant. It was just as "loud" as the much larger dining crowds in the main restaurants! icon_eek.gif We were also surprised at the number of young children dining in LEBISTRO with their parents. I, for one, would prefer the intimacy of that restaurant amongst the grand masterpieces of art to be largely couples rather than entire families...especially with the per person cover charges! It should also be noted that the lighting is very low in LE BISTRO. We didn't have a problem reading the menu as we were seated directly next to one of the original pieces of art. The illumination for that masterwork lit out table well enough that we could read the menu. I talked to and overhead a number of elderly people who were unable to read the menu due to the extremely low light levels in the room. The only real difference in the service between LEBISTRO and any of the "free" main dining rooms was when they brought out our entrees with silverplated dome covers and raised them simultaneously with a flair.

Here's the information found on our first "Freestyle Daily"..."There is a cover charge of $12.50 per person in BAMBOO. All you can eat Sushi for only $10, there is also A La Carte prising for SUSHI & TEPPANYAKI. A cover charge of $20.00 per person in CAGNEY'S STEAKHOUSE applies. LEBISTRO has a $15.00 cover charge and you are able to dine amongst original GRAND MASTERPIECES OF RENOIR, MATISSE, MONET, & VAN GOGH. There is no cover charge in LA TRATTORIA & SALSA. A Fee of $5 per person will be charges for reservations cancelled after 5:00 pm." I must add to this information that reservations are required in all of the Specialty Restaurants and the earliest they can be made is the morning of the day before you plan to dine.

We looked into the BAMBOO/SUSHI/TEPPANYAKI area (which at first appears to be one large restaurant, but is actually three). If I were to pick one "fee" restaurant to dine at...it would be TEPPANYAKI. TEPPANYAKI seats about 18 people and the food is prepared right in front of you as part of the experience. The sights and sounds of the knives & meat cleavers flying is quite a show in itself. The meals there are all A La Carte pricing. We also took pictures in CAGNEY'S STEAKHOUSE. I thought it unimpressive in decor. The steak preparation area dominates the dining area in a way that looks more like cafeteria dining. The only thing I liked about the ambiance was the fact that it was at the top of the ship.

We did not eat in SALSA, since we do not like spicy food. The area the restaurant occupies is quite interesting...inbetween Decks 8 & 9 surrounding the GRAND ATRIUM. There are some lovely Spanish murals on the walls. We tried LA TRATTORIA on Caribbean night...preferring Italian food over spicy Caribbean meals. The ship's staff do a marvelous job in transforming a portside section of the large Buffet area by day into an intimate Italian area. It is a lot of work to do each day. I was all set to have Lasagna that night, but it was not offered on the menu. I chose Chicken Parmassan, which was good, but not any different that I had in the main VENETIAN dining room on Italian night. Again, the service in LA TRATTORIA wasn't any different that the service we received in the "fee free" restaurants.

Another dining note that I didn't know about prior to our cruise, but soon realized once we were on the ship...the dinner menus change daily in the "fee free" main dining areas. The menus in the "specialty" restaurants are the same each night of the cruise.

If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer them. Have a great time in a couple of weeks! icon_biggrin.gif

Debjo

Boatwht.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;4;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Until the NORWEGIAN DAWN 2004 (Can't Hardly Wait But Still Wishing I Was Going On The NORWAY Instead!)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 NORWEGIAN MAJESTY 2004 Bermuda Bound Again!

QE2-Bermuda 2003

PACIFIC PRINCESS-Bermuda 2002

REGAL EMPRESS-New England/Canada 2001

Thank you very much for your response and review of the restaurants. I am disappointed about the picture package, but what are you going to do? All good things must come to an end. Either way, I'm still looking forward to my cruise in 11 more days.

Tony

For Tony...

Happy to be of help. I've asked so many questions on this board, I feel that I need to give back some of the sage advice that I gleaned before my cruise...now that I've actually gone and come home. Besides, this helps to keep my "cruise" alive a little while longer. Answering other's questions enables me to mentally reminisce those lovely days at sea just a week ago! icon_cool.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

Debjo

Boatwht.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;4;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Until the NORWEGIAN DAWN 2004 (Can't Hardly Wait But Still Wishing I Was Going On The NORWAY Instead!)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 NORWEGIAN MAJESTY 2004 Bermuda Bound Again!

QE2-Bermuda 2003

PACIFIC PRINCESS-Bermuda 2002

REGAL EMPRESS-New England/Canada 2001

Last June there also was a Latitudes discount for pictures, 50% off. I asked about it this time, and it was not available. I think the photographers are employed outside of NCL, so such deals vary from time to time, and maybe ship to ship.

Tom/Connecticut

Archived