What is a Bump Out???

tbenson81

First you must preface this that you are asking about the Island or you will get alot of answers that will confuse you since the Grand class is different. Bump outs are the sections that the balcony goes to the edge of the ship. The non bump out sections are recessed therefore if you are close to a bump out your field of view will partially limited by the bump out. For instance C637 is the first cabin on the starboard side of the aft bump out. Go to Princess.com and look at the deck plan.

Scott

Scott - I really appreciate all your help but here is the final question

Is it wise to get a room right next to the elevator or laundry room. Will we hear anything or does it not matter? Thanks again - you definitely know your stuff!

I didnt think that you would be available this morning and I am going to leave my deposit right now so I left a message for everyone

No problem, which cabin did you decide on? If you are still struggling with the bump out I can email you a picture tonight that show it pretty clearly.

Scott

Scott - I really appreciate all your help but here is the final question

Is it wise to get a room right next to the elevator or laundry room. Will we hear anything or does it not matter? Thanks again - you definitely know your stuff!

I have never had a cabin right next to the laundry room so I'm not sure about that. I guess there could be a little more noise but I don't think it would be noticeable. I have been near elevators and stairwells and have never had a noise problems. Actually the only noise problems I've ever had were from peoplpe walking down the hallway late at night talking loudly.

Scott

Scott - if cabins close to the bump out are partially obstructed, why would you want that cabin?

The view is still good just not as good as others. I personally wouldn't want a room close to a bump out.

When I was in C637 which is the first room on the aft bump out there was another couple from CC two cabins forward of the bump out. They made several comments that in any picture they took looking aft at all we were in them if we were out on our balcony.

Also the bump out cabins allow you to look straight down at the water. Because the non bumpouts are recessed if you look straight down you'll see the balcony below you.

Scott

Per your advice - we decided on E707. Hopefully it isnt too loud because its right next to the laundry

I'll be next door in E709 one month from today. I'll let you know how the noise is or if thre are any other problems.

Scott

I have until the end of the day today to change to the other cabin we were looking at C327. Do you recommend this. This one is 200 dollars more but is away from the elevator and laundry and everything or just keep our cabin now?

I have until the end of the day today to change to the other cabin we were looking at C327. Do you recommend this. This one is 200 dollars more but is away from the elevator and laundry and everything or just keep our cabin now?

I like cabins near the elevators...not so far to walk and have never been bothered by noise. We have been in a mini in the bumpout section on both the Island and Coral. Bumpout sections are great - better views. If you do not take a bumpout cabin then I would take the Caribe deck - Caribe deck has larger balconies than Aloha, and Baja and balcony is half covered. Dolphin deck balconies are entirely exposed.

Dolphin deck balconies are entirely exposed.

Most are exposed not all. The ones on Dolphin that have a bumpout over them are covered. You are also forgetting about the Aft BE's on Emerald deck which are totally covered and have the same size balconies as Caribe.

Scott

Most are exposed not all. The ones on Dolphin that have a bumpout over them are covered. You are also forgetting about the Aft BE's on Emerald deck which are totally covered and have the same size balconies as Caribe.

Scott

Scott -- You are right....I forgot about the Dolphin cabins in the bumpout sections - they are covered. We really enjoyed our minisuites on both ships...We were on the Aloha deck both times and loved the location. But the balconies are small. Tell me about the Emerald deck cabins....have been hearing more and more about them. They don't look so great from the deck plans. Are the balcony views blocked by the life boats? I've seen some good prices for these cabins.

Reference proximity to laundry rooms, and elevators:

We prefer not to be opposite the entrance to the laundry room. When all the machines are going, the rooms get warm, and "customers" tend to gather in the companionway. At times their conversations are somewhat animated, and if you should be "napping" in your cabin, the noise might be distracting.

Only once did we regret being close to the elevators. On Golden Princess' trans-Atlantic, 8-02, we hit two fairly large storms. The elevator cars were banging about in the shafts, were quite noisy, and made us reconsider which elevator bank to use. Of course, the whole ship was noisy, creaking and banging as it fought for seaway. The noise of windows shattering along Prom deck was also disconcerting. Great trip that!

No, they are aft of the life boats. It is fully covered which is the main reason I wanted it for Alaska. The balcony is at least the same size as a Caribe and it might be a tad bigger. The BE's farther forward seem to have a smaller balcony.

I'll give you the full report after I get back next month.

Scott

No, they are aft of the life boats. It is fully covered which is the main reason I wanted it for Alaska. The balcony is at least the same size as a Caribe and it might be a tad bigger. The BE's farther forward seem to have a smaller balcony.

I'll give you the full report after I get back next month.

Scott

Sounds pretty good to me. Will be looking forward to your report. Have a great cruise!!

Scott, we are booked on the Coral for Alaska this summer on the bumpout minisuite, C416. The only downside I'm aware of is that the balcony will be somewhat smaller. I'm wondering why there is still another minisuite available nearby (I saw on a website) as it seems these are desirable (covered or partly covered, great views, close to the elevator)? In other words, why wouldn't these be chosen first above other minisuites?

I' don't know, I think that would be an excellent mini-suite.

The only thing I could guess is that if people don't do their homework on this class of ship they really don't know what they are getting.

Scott

Archived