Cash Question?

cruzaddict

I just noticed in my Celebrity booklet that on the page where you enter your credit card info,there is a space for "cash/traveler's checks"....how does that work? Do you not have to give them a credit card when you check-in,or do you have to give them a certain amount of cash up front? Just curious! Thanks!

Hi Shelley,

And interesting question. I have always just filled in the information for my charge card, as it is a cashless system onboard the ship. Meaning you charge everything to a little card that you are given when you checkin (boy does that add up by the end of the cruise!!). I suppose that you could pay up front, but I have never seen anyone do it, nor have I seen anything on this website about that either.

A friend that I cruise with sometimes does the cash up front. I don't remember if she gave it to them at check in or had to go do it once onboard. I do remember there was a minimum of $200 she had to put down. When you have spent that much you have to go give them more money. I've never done this, but my friend doesn't use credit cards :eek: and always does it this way.

Terri

I think that you can also give them a credit card number up front then give them cash at the end so that nothing then goes on the card. They feel secure and you don't have the problem of getting money back if you underspend your deposit.

Waltw: That's actually what we usually do anyway,we bring enough cash to pay off the entire cruise bill on the last night of the cruise. I guess we'll just give them the card up front and then pay it off at the end,I guess they'll just have to take the charges off the card on the last night when we give them the cash to pay it off.

Waltw: That's actually what we usually do anyway,we bring enough cash to pay off the entire cruise bill on the last night of the cruise. I guess we'll just give them the card up front and then pay it off at the end,I guess they'll just have to take the charges off the card on the last night when we give them the cash to pay it off.

I don't think they ever "put" it on your card in the first place. They may run the card to see if there is a certain amount of money available (like hotels do), but then again, they may not. I don't believe that you are charged until you are actually off or getting off the ship.

Archived