Nightlife...is there dancing?

emlu82

Thanks everyone...sounds like the 13 of us are going to be the life of the party and I cant wait! Wherever we go, a dance party is surely not too far behind! Cant wait!

Generally the dance scene is a bit sedate or even dead on some HAL cruises. However, we were up at the Crow's Nest on the Rotterdam recently and there were people there, but only two couples dancing. It was "Latin Night", and while I love Latin, I did not recognize, but one tune.

Well, one family was there, and two adorable little girls all dressed up requested songs from the DJ. Soon after,more people were on the floor getting their groove on!

I then went up ( I am 60 going on 30 :rolleyes:) and requested Shakira and after that, the DJ played tunes to everyone's liking. Couples and singles of all ages were up dancing. You cannot peg every HAL crowd as only liking certain genres of music (from the 30's and 40's many times, or always the Beatles). Like everyone has said....if you are with a large group, make your own party!

Kyriecat,

The younger age group I'm referring to is about your age or younger. The vast majority of pax on the cruises we go on are old enough to be your parents and, I think, generally prefer music popular prior to the 80's, especially that of the 50's and 60's.

On an eastern Mediterranean cruise on the Zuiderdam three years ago Northern Lights played the music you prefer. Almost exclusively. They deigned to play some 50's and 60's music one night, and on that night it was packed by people of the age group I indicated. On the other nights you could have shot a cannon loaded with grapeshot into it and been in no real danger of hitting anyone but the DJ.

We've also had the same experience in the Skywalker Lounge on several Princess ships. On a Diamond Princess cruise to NZ/Australia at the end of the theater performance every night the CD would complain that no one was joining the DJ in Skywalker's. If he was serious, he was also absolutely clueless. I made it a point to look for younger pax on that cruise, and there was only one couple that I saw anywhere near your age group. It just makes no sense to me. Why won't they play what the passengers who are actually present want to hear and dance to?

I certainly don't expect the DJ's to play my generation's music exclusively, but it is inexcusable for them to ignore us. And likewise it is also inexcusable for them to ignore passengers in your age group. A slam dunk easy solution would be to load up some type of mp3 player with lengthy playlists with varied selections so that they could play music to satisfy the tastes of their passengers with different tastes in music.

Archived