Price Drop ?

deb1835

We booked our cruise through Cruise Value. The price has dropped $118 per person for our rooms. I e-mailed them and they said that NCL won't do anything as we have already made our final payment. I'm not sure if they really called NCL - there own website states that after final payment, price decreases won;t be honored.

Should I call NCL direct and ask them? Has anyone ever done that?

STAR gazing in Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

NCL Star 5/30/04

Carnival Destiny 4/02

You answered you question in the statement about their web site. If you do not go directly through Norwegian, they will not do anything. After final payment is due you can not expect anything.

"Baby lets cruise away from here"

I would fight this one out with your TA. I haven't traveled on NCL yet, but I did hear from my TA that they are better than other lines about price drops after final payment. If your TA says they won't give you a refund, try for a shipboard credit. If they won't do that, try for an upgrade. If that doesn't work, have your TA send a fax to the room assigners (it may be called inventory control) saying that you are requesting an upgrade because your fare went down, etc. You could try talking to NCL yourself, but I have heard of no cruise line that will willingly do anything to a reservation that an agent has made unless it is the agent calling them. Good luck.

Ok, this is even funnier. About 20 minutes after sending the e-mail to Cruise Value, the phone rings. Cruise Value said they were contacted by NCL wanting to know if we wanted to upgrade from a Cat C (outside, oceanview) to a BA (balcony) for $300 for the room. I told them I wanted to save money, not spend more!!

STAR gazing in Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

NCL Star 5/30/04

Carnival Destiny 4/02

I hope when it gets closer to my cruise that they offer me a deal like that. I would like a balcony but I can't afford to spend a whole lot more. $300 or so for the room would be wonderful!

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!

NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!

Alaska summer 2005!

The "deal" they offered was only an $80 savings. My mother just went on a cruise with Celebrity and was upgraded from an outside to a suite for FREE! Now that's a deal!

STAR gazing in Alaska

NCL Star 5/30/04

Carnival Destiny 4/02

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SUZYQ:

NCL IS NCL!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said icon_cool.gif Sums up all the posts. We take the good with the bad but in the end book another cruise on NCL.

With all their well documented shortcomings I still find NCL the best value in the market. I would love to sail the QM2 but would rater take two 10 Day Dawn cruises for the price on one crossing.

Looked at RCL VOS 9 days this summer. I was able to book any cabin up to AF mini on the Dawn in Feb for the price of an inside GDT on VOS.

Deb1835 - I am sure that many paid far more then you for the cruise. Is the 118 the difference on the CVC website. How Does your current price compare to NCL.com rates. I bet you are still ahead. You could like many others wait until the last minute to book your cruise and see if you can get the rock bottom price. You may get shut out or have to take a cabin you don't want but you could save $.

Keep pushing maybe an upgrade is in your future icon_smile.gif

Seaward 1/89,Southward II 1/91,Windward 10/93,

Norway 3/94,4/96

Dreamward 4/97

Dream 12/99

QE2 4/02

Carnival Spirit 7/02

NCL Sun 10/03

NCL Dawn 2/03,7/03,2/04

No Clock = No Next Cruise

Free would definately fit in my budget! icon_biggrin.gif but right now the price differences between my booked II and lowest balcony is about $600 I think, so it would be about half.

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

The $118 difference is on CVC. There is a $380 difference between what we paid and the "upgrade" price. It is still cheaper than the NCL site, although anything is cheaper than that. I just see it as another way to get some more money out of us. They can keep the "upgrade". I can find other things to spend my hard earned cash on !! icon_smile.gif

STAR gazing in Alaska

NCL Star 5/30/04

Carnival Destiny 4/02

I think I must have had the price wrong in my brain because it is slightly over $300 for 2 for the difference between the II and the lowest balcony.

I booked directly with NCL and I've been checking at least once a week and still haven't found anything lower than what I got it for and I got the room I wanted! Plus, I'll be able to call them directly about upgrades and such, which is good because the last time my agent seemed clueless about it.

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

I received another e-mail back from CVC stating "Unfortunately Norwegian will not do anything.". End of story. I'm not sure if it's CVC not calling NCL or NCL really not doing anything. My mother also mailed a card in for shipboard credit for Latitudes members. We're anxious to find out if she really gets it added to her account.

I'm contemplating e-mailing Norwegian directly but I'm not sure it will do any good.

STAR gazing in Alaska

NCL Star 5/30/04

Carnival Destiny 4/02

Hi..Just wanted to add my experience with price drops.

I booked with a TA that my sister has used for years. Not local. Ok so I book the cruise! Then about 2 weeks before my 75 days out hits I try to call her to pay off the cruise..Left message after message. No return calls. Ok now its 75 days out on the dot. Leave message again. The next day 74 days out she calls. Ok paid off the cruise..Asked her about if the prices drop what happens. TA tells me oh NCL doesnt really do anything like that..Well that day I go on line and notice that I can get an Balconly for 80 less then my inside GTY. I was ticked off. SO I call NCL. They tell me that since its past the 75 days theres nothing they can do. And Since I booked with a TA I would have had to cancel and rebook with her.. Oh well its water under the bridge now. I am hoping to get upgraded when we sail if not I am going to have a blast anyway in my inside 4th floor cabin and next year not even use a TA but book directly with the cruise line.

Linda

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;6;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Until First Cruise

LInda:

If I was you this is what I would do,

Firt off Never use that Lousey TA again MOST Are terrible by the way!

NExt call this number tell them what happen ask them is there anything they can do for you, Like a Upgrade!

This is not the regular number for NCL.

800-625-4309 This is the Reacommadation desk where they can make changes, these people are allow to do this.

Call it cant hurt, Try if possible to speak top sandra she is very nice & got a lot of power in this dept! Good LUCK!

MAke sure you tell them everything you told us here!

Suzanne & Michael

& my little doggie (Tyler)

LInda:

If I was you this is what I would do,

Firt off Never use that Lousey TA again MOST Are terrible by the way!

NExt call this number tell them what happen ask them is there anything they can do for you, Like a Upgrade!

This is not the regular number for NCL.

800-625-4309 This is the Reacommadation desk where they can make changes, these people are allow to do this.

Call it cant hurt, Try if possible to speak to sandra she is very nice & got a lot of power in this dept! Good LUCK!

MAke sure you tell them everything you told us here!

Suzanne & Michael

& my little doggie (Tyler)

I think you will find that price drops frequently occur shortly after final payments are due. There's a reason for that. At that point, the line has a much better idea of what there capacity is looking like (they figure if you were going to cancel, you would choose to do so before penalties kick in). If there is still sufficient availability, they may then start offering better deals to entice more bookings so they can fill the ship. At this point, they have your money and are fairly confident you will sail. The price drop is to lure new bookings.

It's frustrating. You can take the chance and hope you can get a better deal with a last minute booking at a better rate, but you risk not getting on board at all or not being able to get the cabin category you want. I watch prices until my final payment is due. After that, I look the other way.

Your Friendly Bartender

Thanks Suzy,

I called and like before they said since we are past the 75 days out there isnt anything they can do. And she said if I want to know anything about upgrades I have to call the TA and ask her to call NCL to get all the info to pass along to me. I checked out the prices now and they went UP UP UP!!! I asked when I should get my cabin and she said that basicaly it could be the day we sail. SO I will wait paitently for the next 41 days till I set sail.

Isaac, I was mad at the fact that people who called that day were going to get a much better cabin then I was for less the price. Then I was like you know what... I am going on that ship having a great time and if my cabin is in the kitchen then thats where it is..LOL

I actually think I am so low I am probably in a row boat trailing behind..icon_smile.gif But I know that we will be spending little time in the cabin so I would rather spend the money on excursions then give it to NCL for an upgrade.

Linda

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;6;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Until First Cruise

My TA has been able to get goodies for me on all 3 of my NCL cruises... never any $$ back... but have had room credit once, upgrade from balcony to mini-suite once, and upgrade from mini-suite to full suite once.

I don't remember the exact timing on all of them, but I know the balcony to mini suite upgrade on my 2nd cruise was only a couple weeks before sailing.

NCL Sky 3/02 (7 day Carrib)

NCL Sun 2/03 (7 day Carrib)

NCL Sun 2/04 (7 day Carrib)

Archived