Poesia Thanksgiving cruise review

bernardshakey

We were a 3 generation party of eight with five children that just returned from the Poesia Thanksgiving cruise. We are frequent cruisers and have sailed on seven different cruise lines.

Embarkation: We arrived to the port around 2:30PM to a mostly empty terminal. We rented a car at Budget and dropped it off very close to the cruise port. We were on the ship within twenty minutes of arriving. We didn't pre-register online and had no issues.

Food: After reading reviews, we were expecting Golden Corral buffet food and were pleasantly surprised by all the food service. MDR dinner was very good every night. We ate of off the Italian side mostly. I have a 'no steak' rule on cruises because it normally is never good on any ship. Even my picky eaters enjoyed the dinners. Service was also good. Lunch buffet was standard cruise fare--mass quantities of OK food. MDR lunch was very good so if you don't like the buffet, try that. Breakfast was also pretty standard. When going to the buffet go the the aft elevators and come up at the backside of the buffet to avoid the lines. We did this for breakfast every day and never waited. The pasta station at the front of the buffet was excellent for lunch. My boys said the late night pizza at the buffet was the best they have had on ships. I thought is was pretty good myself. We didn't do any room service. Desserts were so/so. Not as much chocolate as we would like but we went up to the pool deck for late night gelato when we needed a fix. This was very good and affordable--$1.50 for a single scoop is Dairy Queen pricing. There was free soft serve available all day on either end of the pool deck also.

Service: Dining and cabin service were very good. We had a laundry issue that our cabin steward went out of her way to fix. The front desk were professional and helped me when the Internet Cafe 'ate' my room card. Staff on ship were friendly and we got lots of 'hellos' as we walked around.

Drinks/bars: I highly recommend pre-purchasing drink packages before you sail. We printed the form from the MSC website and faxed our requested packages. They sent us an updated itinerary and we had no problems using the 'coupons'. We picked up the tickets at the mid-ship Deck 5 bar. We bought canned soda, beer and wine packages. The wine package let us get either a white or red in the main dining room. It was awesome to see "Minus $28" every night on my dinner drink tab and sign for $0!

Ports: The ports were why we booked this cruise. One drawback to this cruise was the short port days. We scheduled private tours from CC recommendations and had awesome days. We hired Gerry in Cozumel and visited the Mayan ruins, ate an awesome lunch at Playa Bonita right on the water and chilled in the afternoon at Playa Palancar. Victor Bodden tours led us in Roatan and we had a blast on their ziplines. The Bananarama beach he took us to after was busy but absolutely stunning. Jamaica was a Peet Taylor tour to Dunn's River Falls and river tubing. We were a bit rushed because of the distance from port to fun but had a great day.

Kids activities: This was very limited. My kids aren't normally crazy about cruise kids clubs but my 2 seven year olds peeked in the club and refused to go in. It looked like the staff were baby sitting and didn't have many planned activities. I think we were spoiled by our last Disney cruise for kids activities. My boys love playing basketball and the check out times for balls was limited.

Debarkation: This went slowly due to the fact that four Customs agents were on duty for the entire ship. No fault of MSC but this has been hit or miss with all of our cruises.

Pros: Food, Internet Cafe, connecting balconies, large room size, service, no pressure upselling (for spa, bingo, upscale dining, drinks, etc.), shower water pressure, plenty of closet/drawer space.

Cons: Kids activities, tender operations, short port times, limited TV channels

Overall it was a nice cruise at the right price. I'm no MSC 'cheerleader' but we would probably book again if the itinerary and price were right.

We were a 3 generation party of eight with five children that just returned from the Poesia Thanksgiving cruise. We are frequent cruisers and have sailed on seven different cruise lines.

Embarkation: We arrived to the port around 2:30PM to a mostly empty terminal. We rented a car at Budget and dropped it off very close to the cruise port. We were on the ship within twenty minutes of arriving. We didn't pre-register online and had no issues.

Food: After reading reviews, we were expecting Golden Corral buffet food and were pleasantly surprised by all the food service. MDR dinner was very good every night. We ate of off the Italian side mostly. I have a 'no steak' rule on cruises because it normally is never good on any ship. Even my picky eaters enjoyed the dinners. Service was also good. Lunch buffet was standard cruise fare--mass quantities of OK food. MDR lunch was very good so if you don't like the buffet, try that. Breakfast was also pretty standard. When going to the buffet go the the aft elevators and come up at the backside of the buffet to avoid the lines. We did this for breakfast every day and never waited. The pasta station at the front of the buffet was excellent for lunch. My boys said the late night pizza at the buffet was the best they have had on ships. I thought is was pretty good myself. We didn't do any room service. Desserts were so/so. Not as much chocolate as we would like but we went up to the pool deck for late night gelato when we needed a fix. This was very good and affordable--$1.50 for a single scoop is Dairy Queen pricing. There was free soft serve available all day on either end of the pool deck also.

Service: Dining and cabin service were very good. We had a laundry issue that our cabin steward went out of her way to fix. The front desk were professional and helped me when the Internet Cafe 'ate' my room card. Staff on ship were friendly and we got lots of 'hellos' as we walked around.

Drinks/bars: I highly recommend pre-purchasing drink packages before you sail. We printed the form from the MSC website and faxed our requested packages. They sent us an updated itinerary and we had no problems using the 'coupons'. We picked up the tickets at the mid-ship Deck 5 bar. We bought canned soda, beer and wine packages. The wine package let us get either a white or red in the main dining room. It was awesome to see "Minus $28" every night on my dinner drink tab and sign for $0!

Ports: The ports were why we booked this cruise. One drawback to this cruise was the short port days. We scheduled private tours from CC recommendations and had awesome days. We hired Gerry in Cozumel and visited the Mayan ruins, ate an awesome lunch at Playa Bonita right on the water and chilled in the afternoon at Playa Palancar. Victor Bodden tours led us in Roatan and we had a blast on their ziplines. The Bananarama beach he took us to after was busy but absolutely stunning. Jamaica was a Peet Taylor tour to Dunn's River Falls and river tubing. We were a bit rushed because of the distance from port to fun but had a great day.

Kids activities: This was very limited. My kids aren't normally crazy about cruise kids clubs but my 2 seven year olds peeked in the club and refused to go in. It looked like the staff were baby sitting and didn't have many planned activities. I think we were spoiled by our last Disney cruise for kids activities. My boys love playing basketball and the check out times for balls was limited.

Debarkation: This went slowly due to the fact that four Customs agents were on duty for the entire ship. No fault of MSC but this has been hit or miss with all of our cruises.

Pros: Food, Internet Cafe, connecting balconies, large room size, service, no pressure upselling (for spa, bingo, upscale dining, drinks, etc.), shower water pressure, plenty of closet/drawer space.

Cons: Kids activities, tender operations, short port times, limited TV channels

Overall it was a nice cruise at the right price. I'm no MSC 'cheerleader' but we would probably book again if the itinerary and price were right.

Great review!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share!

I booked back in January for this years Christmas cruise. My husband and I have only cruised once and this will be our first cruise with our family of 8.

It has been a really long wait and at times I have questioned if I had made a mistake because of all the bad reviews. But I am really looking forward to this cruise and hell, no cooking and no cleaning what more can a run down mom look forward too. :D

We have to balcony rooms booked side by side in the aft of the ship (back of the bus), I noticed in your pro's you mentioned connecting balconies, does this mean you can remove the dividers between rooms? If so that would be great!

Also do they still give out vouchers for free bottles of water?

Rose

@Eastender...the drink packages can be found here http://www.msccruisesgetforms.com/

Just click on the special services packages link (to a .pdf). We bought the 7 bottles of wine package. We shared a bottle of white or red (both were good Italian wines) at dinner every night. You can use them at lunch in the MDR's too. We're not wine 'snobs' but like wine with dinner. I especially liked the beer package. I like my beer but signing for $6 beers all week turn me into a teatotaler (sp.) really quick. The service charge is included in the package too.

I plan on doing a review sometime soon as well...I'll just sum it up SUPER quick though

Embarkation: SUPER easy. We arrived quite early around 11:30 and was in the hot tubs by about 12:15.

Food: Not bad at all. The ice cream machines only being open form 12-6 was a little weird. I didn't actually try the gellato though. Even though I'm from Canada, the Thanksgiving dinner was a nice touch.

Service: Waitstaff and Cabin staff were AMAZING. No complaints what so ever. I did however hear a few horror stories about one member of the dining room staff. A few of the bar/bar waiters were a little off, but not the worst.

Drinks/bars: I purchased a package on board, however the paper voucher system is a little weird. VERY inconvenient if you're in the pool area and want a drink. HOWEVER, prices were actually quite reasonable for some beverages.

Ports: I'll just say the tendering system is HORRIBLE with MSC. We had to do it in Roatan.

Kids activities: Didn't have kids BUT I did hear that the program was kind of lacking

Debarkation: As mentioned above, it was slow. I was one of the last groups off but we just hopped in the line anyways and walked right off into the customs line.

------------

Pros: Food, storage space in rooms, drink prices, excursions

Cons: Tender system, the Italian staff, shops (i found them to be a bit over priced), photo shop (I'll explain this later), lack of outdoor adults only area

I'll do a better review later.

I plan on doing a review sometime soon as well...I'll just sum it up SUPER quick though

Embarkation: SUPER easy. We arrived quite early around 11:30 and was in the hot tubs by about 12:15.

Food: Not bad at all. The ice cream machines only being open form 12-6 was a little weird. I didn't actually try the gellato though. Even though I'm from Canada, the Thanksgiving dinner was a nice touch.

Service: Waitstaff and Cabin staff were AMAZING. No complaints what so ever. I did however hear a few horror stories about one member of the dining room staff. A few of the bar/bar waiters were a little off, but not the worst.

Drinks/bars: I purchased a package on board, however the paper voucher system is a little weird. VERY inconvenient if you're in the pool area and want a drink. HOWEVER, prices were actually quite reasonable for some beverages.

Ports: I'll just say the tendering system is HORRIBLE with MSC. We had to do it in Roatan.

Kids activities: Didn't have kids BUT I did hear that the program was kind of lacking

Debarkation: As mentioned above, it was slow. I was one of the last groups off but we just hopped in the line anyways and walked right off into the customs line.

------------

Pros: Food, storage space in rooms, drink prices, excursions

Cons: Tender system, the Italian staff, shops (i found them to be a bit over priced), photo shop (I'll explain this later), lack of outdoor adults only area

I'll do a better review later.

Thanks for the quick summary. I always appreciate a review, they have been quite helpful to me in so many ways. I look forward to your full review soon.

Thanks for the info, just booked the 7 bottle package online for $80, what a great price! the beer package doesn't appear for some reason but I'll have to book that later. Can you phone and book it instead of faxing a form?

Please note- the beer package is only available pre-sail.

Thanks for the info, just booked the 7 bottle package online for $80, what a great price! the beer package doesn't appear for some reason but I'll have to book that later. Can you phone and book it instead of faxing a form?

The beer package is the "American Beer Package" Code No. 594. It's $49 for 14 cans or bottles. It really was a good deal. We printed out the 'Special Services Fall 2011/Winter 2012' form (it is listed there also with Soda packages) from the 'Already Booked' tab on the MSC website and faxed it to the number on the bottom of the form.

I'm surprised and disappointed that Roatan was a tendered port. Is this usual with MSC?

There was an NCL ship in port also that day that docked. If yours is the only ship in port that day, I'm sure it will be docked. The tendering was slow and we had a 'G' ticket. Get there early for your tender ticket if you don't have a tour booked through MSC. They handed them out at the Internet Cafe.

All the drink packages were available from any bar. (Including beer) The real steal of the cruise was the peter pan package. $25 for 10 or 12 (I don't recall) non-alcoholic drinks was nice. We mostly bought milkshakes or the great virgin cocktails with it, those drinks go for 4-5 bucks each. I felt like I was robbing the bar.

Try the Bora-Bora or the smoothies!

Just looked at a roatan port website and looks like Poesia's the only ship in on the day we're there (Dec 19) so it's looking good!

We are going on the Jan 14 cruise...could you provide the link to the Roatan port website?

BTW, we went on the Poesia last Jan, I think the review by Bernard was spot on particularly regarding food and service for our cruise too. That is why we decided to do another one with them (that and the price was right). It's good to know that they are consistent.

Spend the money to go to Tabyanna or bananarama. They will pick you up and bring you back to the ship. Tabyanna is usually with a ship excursion. Same beach, different area. It is so much nicer than the beach that is right there which is man made, mahogony beach which was terrible if you wanted a real beach experience. Mah. Beach is so close to the port there is a chair lift to take you for $ if you do not want to walk, although walking is faster.

The best snorkeling was on tabyanna beach. Spend the money to go there.

DW and I had a fantastic snorkel on the north side of the West End lagoon. we snorkeled around to the point and out to about 30 feet. The ironshore had lots of fish and coral and lobsters and it was just great. Best of all our Bodden guide, Joannah took us there for free! It was the perfect cap on our day. Not much "beach" there though.

I just want to follow up on one point that helped make this a good cruise. I didn't feel like MSC was trying to get their hand in my pocket at every turn. On other cruise lines, I've felt the constant upselling to be pushy and annoying (particularly on NCL for the pay restaurants).

I just want to follow up on one point that helped make this a good cruise. I didn't feel like MSC was trying to get their hand in my pocket at every turn. On other cruise lines, I've felt the constant upselling to be pushy and annoying (particularly on NCL for the pay restaurants).

O! Pay restaurants on NCL its real annoying thing :mad:.I guess they have 10 of them on any ship and food in MDR sooo bad to make to go and pay for dinner

Poesia has 2 pay restaurants, we didn't try either. Nice that they didn't try to sell you on these at every opportunity - there were flyers on the MDR tables and they briefly mentioned a special offer at the Sushi restaurant for the last night.

The wait staff in the MDR were awesome, we had 1st seating and were in a large group. Slight problem the first night with table arrangements (we understand a group of 16 can't all be seted together and were told that we'd have 2 adjoining tables of 8, which were situated so that we couldn't even see each other. The Maitre 'D sorted this out after the first night.

Archived