Rhapsody Of The Seas dry dock

bowie123

Probably you know this by now but incase you don't the new cabin layout after the dry dock can be found on

http://www.atlastravelweb.com/Cruise...-the-seas.html

The new deck plans have a + after the deck number.

My husband and myself have just book May repositioning cruise on Rhapsody from Hawaii to Vancouver May 2013.

Tried your link, but no luck. Looks like your link was truncated by this board. Please try again, but don't use copy/paste. Right click on the link you want to copy and choose "Copy Shortcut". This is for Internet Explorer. Other browsers might have slightly different wording.

Bob

Just received this from RCCL:

Singapore – March 2, 2012 – Royal Caribbean International’s Rhapsody of the Seas today entered Sembawang Shipyard (a subsidiary of Sembcorp Marine Ltd.) in Singapore to begin a month-long, $54 million drydock where she will undergo a major revitalization and emerge with an array of new amenities. The ship revitalization is the largest of its kind ever to take place in Singapore and will employ more than 800 local workers from the region.

Part of the cruise lines Vision Class of ships, Rhapsody of the Seas will receive a host of new dining and entertainment venues as well as an assortment of technological upgrades. The ship also will receive a bow-to-stern refresh of all furniture, carpet and upholstery, including renovated staterooms. The revitalizations are part of the Royal Advantage – the cruise line’s commitment to offer vacationers the world’s most innovative cruise ships, exciting itineraries to popular destinations, and world-renowned, friendly and engaging Gold Anchor Service.

“Rhapsody of the Seas’ drydock is part of Royal Caribbean’s commitment to continue to deliver the Royal Advantage to our guests,” said Adam Goldstein, President and CEO, Royal Caribbean International. “With our $300 million investment through 2014, no ship in our fleet will go untouched and our guests will have an unrivaled vacation experience no matter which destination in the world they visit or on what ship they sail on.”

Similar to sister-ship Splendour of the Seas, which underwent its revitalization in November 2011, Rhapsody will receive new dining venues, including Chops Grille, Izumi Asian Cuisine, Chef’s Table experience and Park Café. Additional offerings include a Diamond lounge for Crown and Anchor loyalty guests, a Concierge Lounge for suite guests and top tier loyalty guests, a transformed Viking Crown Lounge and the popular Royal Babies and Tots Nursery.

New offerings for guests include ship-wide Wi-Fi, a digital way finding system, electronic mustering, an outdoor movie screen, as well as iPad’s in every stateroom featuring content about the ship’s amenities and activities, ensuring a seamless cruise experience for guests. The ship’s Centrum, with its sweeping views and central location, will transform into a new chic and sophisticated venue featuring enriching daytime activities, dazzling nightly entertainment and jaw-dropping aerial spectacles. The ship’s Champagne Bar, located in the Centrum, also will reemerge as the R Bar, featuring a sophisticated 1960s vibe, complete with iconic furnishing and signature cocktails mixed by a savvy and personable mixologist.

When the enhancements are completed on March 28, Rhapsody of the Seas will sail a 15-night voyage from Singapore to Sydney, Australia. From there, she will sail across the Pacific with a combination of cruises from Australia and Hawaii, before beginning her Alaska season in May 2012.

In Alaska, Rhapsody of the Seas will offer seven-night open-jawed itineraries from both Vancouver, British Columbia, and Seattle, Washington. She will join Radiance of the Seas, which was revitalized in May 2011, offering guests in Alaska an unparalleled cruise vacation experience.

I have come to realize I may not have had the right outlook on this refurbishment. Here's a link from another thread, that shows a You Tube video of the Splendour following her refurbishment in November:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lTbayWbI1lc

About 4 seconds into the video, there is a good shot of the aft end. Notice how they have boxed off the corner aft balcony, and ran a support wall down the outside edge ?

Somehow, I might have gotten the better end of the deal, with on board credit.:D

I have come to realize I may not have had the right outlook on this refurbishment. Here's a link from another thread, that shows a You Tube video of the Splendour following her refurbishment in November:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lTbayWbI1lc

About 4 seconds into the video, there is a good shot of the aft end. Notice how they have boxed off the corner aft balcony, and ran a support wall down the outside edge ?

Somehow, I might have gotten the better end of the deal, with on board credit.:D

Sorry to ruin your good mood, but Splendour has always been that way. We sailed in that corner aft cabin in 2003 and it didn't have a wraparound balcony then. They're not twin ships - for example, Splendour's new balcony cabins are on Deck 6, where Rhapsody doesn't have cabins.

Just received this from RCCL:

Singapore – March 2, 2012 – Royal Caribbean International’s Rhapsody of the Seas today entered Sembawang Shipyard (a subsidiary of Sembcorp Marine Ltd.) in Singapore to begin a month-long, $54 million drydock where she will undergo a major revitalization and emerge with an array of new amenities. The ship revitalization is the largest of its kind ever to take place in Singapore and will employ more than 800 local workers from the region.

Part of the cruise lines Vision Class of ships, Rhapsody of the Seas will receive a host of new dining and entertainment venues as well as an assortment of technological upgrades. The ship also will receive a bow-to-stern refresh of all furniture, carpet and upholstery, including renovated staterooms. The revitalizations are part of the Royal Advantage – the cruise line’s commitment to offer vacationers the world’s most innovative cruise ships, exciting itineraries to popular destinations, and world-renowned, friendly and engaging Gold Anchor Service.

“Rhapsody of the Seas’ drydock is part of Royal Caribbean’s commitment to continue to deliver the Royal Advantage to our guests,” said Adam Goldstein, President and CEO, Royal Caribbean International. “With our $300 million investment through 2014, no ship in our fleet will go untouched and our guests will have an unrivaled vacation experience no matter which destination in the world they visit or on what ship they sail on.”

Similar to sister-ship Splendour of the Seas, which underwent its revitalization in November 2011, Rhapsody will receive new dining venues, including Chops Grille, Izumi Asian Cuisine, Chef’s Table experience and Park Café. Additional offerings include a Diamond lounge for Crown and Anchor loyalty guests, a Concierge Lounge for suite guests and top tier loyalty guests, a transformed Viking Crown Lounge and the popular Royal Babies and Tots Nursery.

New offerings for guests include ship-wide Wi-Fi, a digital way finding system, electronic mustering, an outdoor movie screen, as well as iPad’s in every stateroom featuring content about the ship’s amenities and activities, ensuring a seamless cruise experience for guests. The ship’s Centrum, with its sweeping views and central location, will transform into a new chic and sophisticated venue featuring enriching daytime activities, dazzling nightly entertainment and jaw-dropping aerial spectacles. The ship’s Champagne Bar, located in the Centrum, also will reemerge as the R Bar, featuring a sophisticated 1960s vibe, complete with iconic furnishing and signature cocktails mixed by a savvy and personable mixologist.

When the enhancements are completed on March 28, Rhapsody of the Seas will sail a 15-night voyage from Singapore to Sydney, Australia. From there, she will sail across the Pacific with a combination of cruises from Australia and Hawaii, before beginning her Alaska season in May 2012.

In Alaska, Rhapsody of the Seas will offer seven-night open-jawed itineraries from both Vancouver, British Columbia, and Seattle, Washington. She will join Radiance of the Seas, which was revitalized in May 2011, offering guests in Alaska an unparalleled cruise vacation experience.

I also received that email. I still can't find Izumi on the new deck plan, though...

My mistake. Thought I had read where they were adding cabins on Rhapsody . I also thought I had read where they were adding a duck tail for stabilization on the aft end, as they had on Splendour. Guess time will tell when she comes out of drydock.

This is from a cruise critic news page:

Ship: Royal Caribbean's Rhapsody of the Seas

Cost of Surgery: $54 million

Date & Location: March, Singapore

The Makeover:The 15-year-old Rhapsody, one of six "mid-size," 1,998-passenger Vision-class ships, will gain a number of features found on Oasis and Allure of the Seas. New dining venues include Izumi (Asian), Giovanni's Table (Italian) and the Park Cafe, a bistro concept borrowed from Oasis and Allure -- minus the park setting found on those ships.

There are some non-Oasis twists, too. The massive hanging sculpture will be removed from Rhapsody's 60-foot-high, seven-deck Centrum to make way for cirque du Soleil-style aerial performances, and the Centrum's Champagne Bar will become the 60's-style R Bar, complete with iconic furnishings and signature cocktails. Royal is also adding a pair of lounges for its top past passengers and those staying in suites (one lounge for "Diamonds," one for "Diamond Plus" and suite pax). On a more controversial note, an outdoor movie screen will be installed near the ship's main pool. Finally, look for the integration of a slew of new technology-based amenities, including digital signage and iPads in every cabin.

Sister ships Grandeur of the Seas and Enchantment of the Seas will undergo similar surgery in May and December, respectively.

My mistake. Thought I had read where they were adding cabins on Rhapsody . I also thought I had read where they were adding a duck tail for stabilization on the aft end, as they had on Splendour. Guess time will tell when she comes out of drydock.

As you know all too well they are adding some cabins. But they're not adding balconies.

And just as I was typing this, I got a call from RCI corporate about the email I had sent to Adam Goldstein's office. Since we ultimately weren't affected by the fiasco, there wasn't much she could do but apologize for our inconvenience (no, I wasn't expecting OBC for 15 minutes of suspense). The bottom line was that she admitted that they (%$%(ed up (in somewhat less colorful terms) by releasing the cabins for booking before contacting already-booked passengers. She claimed that not that many people were displaced, but somehow I don't believe her.:rolleyes:

As you know all too well they are adding some cabins. But they're not adding balconies.

And just as I was typing this, I got a call from RCI corporate about the email I had sent to Adam Goldstein's office. Since we ultimately weren't affected by the fiasco, there wasn't much she could do but apologize for our inconvenience (no, I wasn't expecting OBC for 15 minutes of suspense). The bottom line was that she admitted that they (%$%(ed up (in somewhat less colorful terms) by releasing the cabins for booking before contacting already-booked passengers. She claimed that not that many people were displaced, but somehow I don't believe her.:rolleyes:

Interestingly enough, I have yet to hear from RCI from emails that were sent on Sunday. Since today is Friday, RCI obviously considers my case closed, and just wishes I would go away.

Let me see if I can explain something I noticed yesterday… All the cabins effected by the renumbering are junior suites, and the cabin numbers were shifted forward by 4 cabin numbers on each side of the ship… with me so far???

I’m wondering what has happened to the people who booked the first 4 junior suite cabins on each side of the ship that are immediately to the aft of the centrum… because those former junior suite cabin numbers (8042–8048 and 8542-8548) are now assigned to the newly installed large ocean view staterooms.

Hope they catch that little glitch before boarding day...

Looking to book this ship in September, so we shouldn't have any trouble with cabins changing, but we are anxious to see what the refurbish will look like. We hope some of you that cruise her early will post your comments.

:D

Interesting that on deck 8 the first JS behind the new Concierge Lounge is for Handicap access.

My FIL and MIL have it for the first voyage to Alaska this year. Thank goodness...(I think) they are almost totally deaf, without their hearing aids.:D

He has it made......with caregivers going with them, he can be wheeled out of the cabin and into the new CL in under 30 seconds!!:);)

Rick

Interestingly enough, I have yet to hear from RCI from emails that were sent on Sunday. Since today is Friday, RCI obviously considers my case closed, and just wishes I would go away.

Bill

Don't let up on RCI, I have been calling them, my TA and the TA is then contacting the wholesaler who are calling RCI every day since Monday about my case. They have made a mistake and they admit that so they just need to fix it up.

Stick to your guns and get your corner aft JS back or some other substantial incentive to move elsewhere. $200 OBC is not in my opinion compensation for loss of a prime location. Is it about $$$ or about the location and enjoyment of that???? Just my thoughts. Are you dealing with Sydney or a US office?

Fortunately we're forward of the centrum and aren't affected. However, ours is now one of the rooms that lost a sofa bed. Thank goodness we didn't invite a family member (we were very close to doing that).

What a mess....I'm sorry this has happened to everyone.

Just made my 3rd call to RCCL trying to get my corner aft back for August sailing. The first person I spoke with actually asked me to call back in 30 days after the ship gets out of refurb. - and what difference will that make, I asked? Are the deck plans going to change again? After speaking to a supervisor I was told the corner aft that I chose months ago is no longer available. After reading posts here, I'm not surprised to hear that. My first two calls, made over the past week or so, resulted in 'notes' being added to my file that I wanted to keep the corner aft, regardless of the cabin number. And yet, it sounds like they've let someone else take it away from me. I've been told that the supervisor - who was very nice and polite - will do some research and call me back on Monday. We shall see.......

Bill

Don't let up on RCI, I have been calling them, my TA and the TA is then contacting the wholesaler who are calling RCI every day since Monday about my case. They have made a mistake and they admit that so they just need to fix it up.

Stick to your guns and get your corner aft JS back or some other substantial incentive to move elsewhere. $200 OBC is not in my opinion compensation for loss of a prime location. Is it about $$$ or about the location and enjoyment of that???? Just my thoughts. Are you dealing with Sydney or a US office?

Thank you. I am dealing with the US-Miami office. Unfortunately, my time is worth something. And while I agree with you that RCI giving me $200 of OBC is peanuts for a company of that size, at some point, I need to decide what I have accomplished.

My TA has also been trying to get written confirmation from RCI that the $200 OBC has been added to my account. No email, or phone calls from RCI on that front, either. Why do I have this wild idea that we'll board the ship, and no one will know anything about $200 OBC ? Call it a hunch.

I have printed all the emails from RCI to my TA where they offered, and we accepted the OBC. And I will have those with me when we board. But we ALL know RCI customer service, all too well..:mad:

Just made my 3rd call to RCCL trying to get my corner aft back for August sailing. The first person I spoke with actually asked me to call back in 30 days after the ship gets out of refurb. - and what difference will that make, I asked? Are the deck plans going to change again? After speaking to a supervisor I was told the corner aft that I chose months ago is no longer available. After reading posts here, I'm not surprised to hear that. My first two calls, made over the past week or so, resulted in 'notes' being added to my file that I wanted to keep the corner aft, regardless of the cabin number. And yet, it sounds like they've let someone else take it away from me. I've been told that the supervisor - who was very nice and polite - will do some research and call me back on Monday. We shall see.......
Keep ringing - the old "squeaky door" albeit a different situation when we sailed on the Rhapsody a few years back and our cabin was "reallocated" and we were told there was no chance of getting it back - we did ultimately (long story!) perhaps continually emailing the CEO every few days might also help! - I'm not sure why they can't fully appreciate/grasp that this to a lot of people is extremely important - I know on this next cruise if we couldn't of got the cabin we did we weren't going - I really hope you succeed - good luck!

Jane

Here's a copy of the response I received to my e-mail to RC Customer Service:

"Regrettably, we understand that there is some confusion regarding stateroom

locations with the new deck plans for our August 31, 2012 sailing of Rhapsody of

the Seas. Please rest assured that your stateroom location will not change when

the new deck plans take effect. Guests will be accommodated in accordance with

their original location at the time their cruise vacation reservation was made.

We sincerely apologize for any confusion this may have caused you."

Let's hope this is true!

I'm curious. Did you ask how they got from the email they sent to you, where they assured you that your cabin location would not change, to your most message from them that your cabin has been sold out from under you, and they're sorry ? I think Ripley would have problems believing this mess.:mad:

Interesting that on deck 8 the first JS behind the new Concierge Lounge is for Handicap access.

My FIL and MIL have it for the first voyage to Alaska this year. Thank goodness...(I think) they are almost totally deaf, without their hearing aids.:D

He has it made......with caregivers going with them, he can be wheeled out of the cabin and into the new CL in under 30 seconds!!:);)

Rick

Um, the new CL is on Deck 11. There aren't any cabins up there...

Hmm, some thoughts.

There are no Izumi listed on the Deckplans, neither any sort of details on the deckplan that are saying that the Crown Lounge are going to be rebuild to place in the Restaurant theme as it is on Splendour.

And there is a deck twelwe added to the deckplan on their site, but it isn't any picture of a deck twelwe. How does this come?

When I spoke to the D+ desk a few minutes ago, she looked at the deck plan while in our reservation. That plan still shows 8088 as the corner aft. I told her to look at the retail site, which is now showing 8096. She wasn't able to change our cabin number to the new one but said that the location won't change. She's checking with somebody else and will call me back, as the wait time to talk to that person is 10 minutes. I guess we're all calling at once, LOL.

I've been on Voyager for the past week, and disembarked today, so I haven't kept up with this thread for a week or so. I have 8088 for May 11, and I called RCI last Saturday with my concerns. I was told not to worry. Now, today I just called the D+ desk and was told that I still have 8088 and it's on the side....8096 shows unavailable. I was told that a supervisor would be contacted and I will receive a return call tonight....we'll see. I will NOT accept a side JS when I booked an aft corner. It's already past final payment, but I will demand my corner, a full refund, or an upgrade to a GS or higher........I'm probably going to be pee'd off!

Archived