Up to two hours to disembark in Galveston

BethCarp

Yes, that's two hours after getting off the ship. Customs line only. Some people on our sailing experienced that long of a line though we were "lucky" as it took us an hour. Does Carnival have this issue? This was only the second sailing of the Mariner so maybe the kinks will get worked out. But be prepared, at least in the near future.

Yes, that's two hours after getting off the ship. Customs line only. Some people on our sailing experienced that long of a line though we were "lucky" as it took us an hour. Does Carnival have this issue? This was only the second sailing of the Mariner so maybe the kinks will get worked out. But be prepared, at least in the near future.

You were on the same sailing as me (11/11/11). A lot of the initial problem on our debarkation was the escalator breaking down and having to re-route people down to Deck 1. That took a while. I could see the self-assist people leaving the ship, and walking down the glass gangway and they took forever. They started debarkation way before it was called. We were called to leave around 9:15 and it took us about an hour to wait in line to finally get through customs. I've sailed on Voyager and it didn't take near this long. Hopefully they will be working the kinks out soon!

we have cruised out of galveston for the past three yrs and it always

take close to 2 hrs to get thru customs. last yr because of the fog

it was even longer- everyone was trying to get off at the sametime.

We've been cruising out of Galveston for the last 6 years and have never experienced this long of a wait. It has never taken me 2 hours to get through customs. The customs agent we had was actually asking us questions, like "what kind of job do you have in Lake Jackson" and "which way are you going to drive home?" and "how long have you lived there?" What in the world was that all about? I don't think we looked suspicious or anything. Our friends were behind us and he didn't ask them one question!

BTW, the captain on Mariner said that RCCL is working with the authorities in Galveston regarding them closing the port in foggy weather. He said with the technology (GPS and other satellite imagery) they can bring that ship into port with no visibility. He said it was the Coast Guard that was closing the port in foggy weather.

Archived