I have seen this question asked a million times but now I am asking

LAFFNVEGAS

OK I am seen this questions asked a million times but now I am asking. I want to hear from those that have done it. I booked flights a week ago on Southwest but the return flight is not much to my liking we are leaving at 4:30 in the afternoon. It figures today there is a flight that is $200 PP less on the return but it leaves at 10:55am I am think we can still do this. What is other's opinion?

If you have done this, how did it go?

OK I am seen this questions asked a million times but now I am asking. I want to hear from those that have done it. I booked flights a week ago on Southwest but the return flight is not much to my liking we are leaving at 4:30 in the afternoon. It figures today there is a flight that is $200 PP less on the return but it leaves at 10:55am I am think we can still do this. What is other's opinion?

If you have done this, how did it go?

Well, I'm sort of new on these boards but I have done it. My DH did it both in New Orleans and on another cruise that came into Miami (we flew out of FLL). We carried off our luggage when we were first released and had no issues either time. The Miami to FLL was somewhat nervewracking because of the commute on a shuttle but we did it easily. We had more than enough time to make it through security and to the gates and ended up sitting around for about an hour or so. (I hate sitting at the airport so this was torturous to me.

Personally, I wouldn't cut it any closer than 10AM in the future but our 11:05 flight was very doable. I'm not sure when you're looking at this flight but I definitely would not cut it close if you might be coming back during a prime holiday time. For instance, there's no way I'd do it on Christmas Eve but I would not hesitate on Christmas Day since the airports are pretty dead then.

Not quite the same as booking a 11 am flight, but a few years ago we had a 1 pm flight out of FLL and after missing packing in time to set our luggage out, we were forced to self-disembark. We were off the ship by 7:45 am and at the airport at 8:05 am. We paid to change to an earlier flight and took off at 10:0 am.

OK I did it, I think it was a cyber Monday thing but the the actual savings and credit I now have with Southwest is $124.60 :) I honestly think that a 10:55 flight is do able. I was just not looking forward to waiting till 4:30 in the afternoon to leave home. It was originally $320.00 one way for that time and today it was Web Only $197.00 PP I had purchased the late flight for $230 PP it had been $270 for the longest time and jumped when it dropped to $230.00

The good news is now I have a credit that will be spent quickly with Southwest because I will use that to fly down to San Diego to catch the first half of our Zuiderdam Alaska cruise :D

Then there was the time that the Eurodam didn't dock till 12:30 pm. :eek: We were boarding her late that day.

Oh well we are going to take our chances, if it comes in that late there will be plenty of others in the same boat ;)

Yes we were late boarding one time as well when the Statendam came in late.

Oh well we are going to take our chances, if it comes in that late there will be plenty of others in the same boat ;)

Yes we were late boarding one time as well when the Statendam came in late.

I would do it, 9 times out of 10 you would make it with time to spare. If worst comes to worst (and how many ships to clear port that day??) you can probably get on the next flight anyway.

Alright, I was just kidding... I agree that 9 out of 10 times you'll be fine!

But seriously, you HAVE to let us know if you made it!!!! Nobody ever seems to let us know if they make it, when they do this!!!

Good luck, and congratulations on your savings!!!!

I just checked our January flights on Southwest from FLL. We have a choice of 10am and 2:40 PM. I guess I will keep the 2:40. 10am is pushing it!

Judy, yes I would keep the 2:40. We were at the 4:30 which was just too late. The only reason I had selected it was because of the price. I could have selected tonight the 12:30 pm flight but we would have only been saving $30 PP while good and a drastic change in price from last week but this savings was pretty good and more than paid for the San Diego tickets.

When you said San Diego would have been a no-brainer, did you mean because the airport is so close?

Or did you mean you would not have risked an early flight before noon due to common ship delays coming into port?

We had an 11:15 flight out of San Diego for next February but I got worried and paid a change fee after reading many horror stories on this board about San Diego late disembarkations.

Lisa,

I usually book the 11:30 out of FLL and more times than not, have gotten there in enough time to standby for earlier flights.

I am doing it on the 26th - will let you know how it goes.

(I am a Diamond medallion now which helps with the security line - but wasn't in most of the previous trips)

Bet you will be just fine and even better that you have some extra $$ in your pocket :)

We self-disembarked the NA recently, and were at the airport by 8:10 a.m. Of course, there were no snags. Being there that early we also were through security very quickly and could have made a 9:30 flight. We used the luggage service so we had no luggage and already had our boarding pass as well. Wow, it was slick!

Why is everybody in such a hurry. Just to save a few bucks. Life is to short to rush around, slow down and enjoy yourself!!!

Some imes it is not about the rush but the pain of waiting around for many hours for a flight.

I am not sure about you but over $100 is more than a few bucks to me. I have learned in these recent economic times that to be penny wise will get me a lot further and get me a whole lot more cruises in the long run. Life has changed for me since 2008 but then I believe it has changed for the whole world, if $124 is chump change for you that is great but it is not for most people.

Why is everybody in such a hurry. Just to save a few bucks. Life is to short to rush around, slow down and enjoy yourself!!!

Once we spent a few hours at the FLL airport after disembarking and waiting for a midday flight - it was boring as heck and not a pleasant way to end a nice vacation. Now we stay another day or tow. :)

Archived