Port of New Orleans

kijjy

I just returned from a cruise on the Voyager. We took a taxi from a downtown hotel ($7pp flat rate) and yes it did get a little backed up approaching the terminal. They had the taxi's drop us off by the first set of doors. When we walked in - no one working there had a CLUE of where to go with the luggage. We actually just rolled our luggage on. So those with 29" suitcases - they fit in the xray machines. After that check in was easy. Rooms weren't ready until 1:30pm as they were running late.

Disembarkment was quick and easy. We parked at the Fulton Place Garage and the shuttle was there when we walked out the doors. Super easy.

As an FYI - The Julia Street lot was full for our cruise. We met people who were confused and ended up parking at Hertz and lugging their luggage down the street. For that reason -totally disagree with the suggestion for dropping taxi passengers off at Julia Street and Convention Center Blvd. That would be horrible for those with more than 1 piece of luggage. We saw people doing this in the rain.

They need to have 3 lanes of roadway. That's their problem. It's only 2 lanes and lots of traffic due to the 3000+ passengers. I don't know what they were thinking when they designed it. Widen it and it will work better for traffic flow. Even when Princess cruised out of the old port a few years back and traffic was heavy - it was more organized and less frustration.

Thanks for adding to the topic. I think it will be helpful for lots of people as New Orleans adjusts to having 4 ships at one time (and one 2 lanes, which were built at a time that New Orleans didn't have big cruise ship or 4 ships at one time).

I still stand my my suggestion of getting dropped of at Julia Street and Covention Center Blvd if you can roll your luggage one block, it is not raining, and you do not have limited mobility. For our family, I would do this again even if it meant one person stood on the corner with the luggage while someone else rolled the luggage two pieces at a time.

The reason I suggest this is because we did end up in this long line of traffic on the Saturday that the Elation and Voyager leave. Once you get closer in, one lane is blocked off so that officers could direct things and keep it safe for those walking.

After over an hour in traffic that was barely moving, we asked an officer if he would take down the barricade, let us get to the exit at Julia and exit the terminal line. He was kind enough to let us and we drove up to the corner I am talking about (Julia street and Convention Center) and our ride let us out. It was so easy. Had we not done this, it may have been another 30 minutes in the car. We were so mad at ourselves for getting into that line of traffic to being with.

If in doubt, go check out the line of traffic and if it looks short, go for it.

The present terminal area was not designed for cruise ships. Years before cruise ships started regularly coming to New Orleans, it was a freight pier, with warehouses along the river where the terminal is now.

The old terminal building, which Voyager uses, is part of the main building built for the 1984 World's Fair. The Riverwalk is now in the rest of that building.

Before Katrina, there was talk of building a real cruise ship terminal about a mile downriver, at Poland Avenue. That will probably happen eventually, but in the mean time we have to use what we have.

Another part of the problem is the level of the Mississippi River. Right now it is at its lowest level, so the luggage containers have to be lowered from the dock to the level of the ship's doors. Come Spring, the level of the river will rise four or five feet, and that will be less of a problem.

Before Katrina, there was talk of building a real cruise ship terminal about a mile downriver, at Poland Avenue. That will probably happen eventually, but in the mean time we have to use what we have.

I think that's the area where Princess cruised out of the short time they were there. Due to the small streets there was back up there too but it was fairly easy to get in drop off and park because there was more space for busses and cars.

Charleston SC (where Celebrity used to go out of) had a system where people dropped off their luggage and stood in a parking lot. Then they shuttled people to the terminal to check in. Not sure if that would work. When RCCL cruised out of Philly, they had people drop off luggage in one place and the shuttle over to the terminal check in. So there are all kinds of ideas to control traffic. Not sure if there is one perfect solution though when there are limitations to the facilities.

I think the traffic thing though is getting better. We cruised the week after you did World Gallery and didn't hear of anyone stuck in traffic for an hour. I'm sure that was pretty frustrating and I would have considered jumping out too.

We are just off of the Voyager of the Seas. We are locals and have sailed out of New Orleans many times with no problems at all (and have sailed out of other places as well so we have something to compare to). It was never a problem in the past but this time, the only big problem was the traffic flow trying to get into the terminal. There are ways around this issue though. I just wrote my review and I included what to do. I wrote:

Disembarkation was the easiest and fastest we have ever had on any ship. Embarkation was very fast and easy once you got to the terminal. If you want a much easier way to get to the ship (this is for RCCL but you can keep walking to your right to get to the Carnival terminal), do this: Do not get in the long line of traffic that leads you into the terminal. Instead, get dropped off at the corner of Julia Street and Convention Center Blvd. (Mulates restaurant is across the street.) You then walk about one block to the railroad tracks and the terminal is right there. There is a gate that is open and people will then direct you into the terminal door. Yes, you have to roll your luggage a block but it is worth it. Also, there is a parking lot (but not covered) across the street from Mulates or there were lots of other places to park. Just don't get into that long line of traffic and you will get onto the ship very quickly.

Mrcruzdoggie - Sorry you were treated like that. That is unlike any "local" I know. Definitely not the norm here!:)

Thanks for the advise. I've been wondering for some time about options to get to the port. We will be staying at the Hilton Riverside prior to our upcoming cruise on the VOS, and have been wondering about taking the riverfront street car line from our hotel to the port. Do you think that this is a good option there will be a total of 6 adults an 2 kids in our group. most of the adults get around very well and would have no trouble carrying luggage up or down stairs, and could help the others with their luggage. Based on maps i have seen it looks like there is a street car stop at Julia street very near where you are talking about, but also one a little further down closer to the port. Which stop would be more convenient in your opinion. I have also hear that taking luggage onto the street car may be an issue in that they can be packed full of people? any thoughts would be appreciated.

I don't think it is allowed to take luggage on a street car. They are very old, original streetcars with wooden benches and absolutely no space to put your luggage (you can be fined for eating on them also). There is a pole in between the stairs as you enter so I don't even think luggage would fit through the door. Also, I don't think the street car actually goes as far down with passengers as it appears on a map but I could be wrong (I see the streetcar passing this far but not with people in them). If it does, there is a fence that would prevent easy assess to the terminal anyway. You best bet would take a taxi or try and walk it. Also, you can ask at the Hilton when you get there or call. They probably get this question a lot.

Our hotel is .8 miles from terminal so we're thinking of using an Advanced Check In service. $25 for up to 4 bags ($5 each addtl bag) left at bell desk of our hotel. We'll then explore Riverwalk, etc. and walk to the terminal when we want to board. Our bags will be on board and delivered to our cabin.

Thanks for adding to the topic. I think it will be helpful for lots of people as New Orleans adjusts to having 4 ships at one time (and one 2 lanes, which were built at a time that New Orleans didn't have big cruise ship or 4 ships at one time).

I still stand my my suggestion of getting dropped of at Julia Street and Covention Center Blvd if you can roll your luggage one block, it is not raining, and you do not have limited mobility. For our family, I would do this again even if it meant one person stood on the corner with the luggage while someone else rolled the luggage two pieces at a time.

The reason I suggest this is because we did end up in this long line of traffic on the Saturday that the Elation and Voyager leave. Once you get closer in, one lane is blocked off so that officers could direct things and keep it safe for those walking.

After over an hour in traffic that was barely moving, we asked an officer if he would take down the barricade, let us get to the exit at Julia and exit the terminal line. He was kind enough to let us and we drove up to the corner I am talking about (Julia street and Convention Center) and our ride let us out. It was so easy. Had we not done this, it may have been another 30 minutes in the car. We were so mad at ourselves for getting into that line of traffic to being with.

If in doubt, go check out the line of traffic and if it looks short, go for it.

Thanks for the info about walking from Julia Street and Convention Center St... So, just to be certain, is it clear which direction to walk when we are at that point? Do we go to the left or right as we are facing toward the river?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info about walking from Julia Street and Convention Center St... So' date=' just to be certain, is it clear which direction to walk when we are at that point? Do we go to the left or right as we are facing toward the river?

Thanks![/quote']

When you are at the corner of Convention Center and Julia (across the street from Mulates) you walk straight toward the river. If your back was facing Mulates, you walk straight ahead, not left of right. You will be walking along side of a parking lot (it will be to your left). There is a sidewalk to walk on. You will then come to a fence with an large opening. Go in, cross the railroad tracks and you will see the terminal straight ahead of you.

When you are at the corner of Convention Center and Julia (across the street from Mulates) you walk straight toward the river. If your back was facing Mulates, you walk straight ahead, not left of right. You will be walking along side of a parking lot (it will be to your left). There is a sidewalk to walk on. You will then come to a fence with an large opening. Go in, cross the railroad tracks and you will see the terminal straight ahead of you.

Thank you for the response. Your input is truly appreciated.

One more follow-up question... you mention that we will be walking along a sidewalk and come to a fence with a large opening. Is this a gate that is always open for access or a hole that has been cut in the fence that we may have a difficult time getting through with our luggage? We wouldn't want to be looked at as being trespassers or hobos... :-) Would we have to pass by security at that point?

Just want to make certain this is really what we want to do, as the alternative doesn't seem very desirable.

Thanks again!

Been following all the threads about this. We're sailing Voyager Feb11th, parking at the Fulton St Garage. Would walking from the garage be a good option? How long a walk would it be to the terminal Voyager sails from?

They provide a free shuttle. There is no need to walk. They have plenty of shuttles and busses.

Cruisin Cousin - the opening is the size of the street. You can also go up into Riverwalk and come down the elevator if you don't want to cross the railroad tracks. We walked over to Riverwalk after we boarded the ship and dropped our luggage off in the room. We had to walk through the fence opening at the street level then head up the escallator.

Thanks for the advise. I've been wondering for some time about options to get to the port. We will be staying at the Hilton Riverside prior to our upcoming cruise on the VOS, and have been wondering about taking the riverfront street car line from our hotel to the port. Do you think that this is a good option there will be a total of 6 adults an 2 kids in our group. most of the adults get around very well and would have no trouble carrying luggage up or down stairs, and could help the others with their luggage. Based on maps i have seen it looks like there is a street car stop at Julia street very near where you are talking about, but also one a little further down closer to the port. Which stop would be more convenient in your opinion. I have also hear that taking luggage onto the street car may be an issue in that they can be packed full of people? any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dstender, I just got around to looking at my cruise photos. I attached a picture taken from my balcony which shows the location of the Hilton. If the Hilton is connected to Riverside Walk, you can walk through there and take the elevator down once you get past the food places. On the far left of the photo behind the Riverwalk building is where Julia Street comes in. If the photo is too small, the Hilton is the building with the Red Lettering at the top 2nd from the right.

IMG_0987.jpg.1c5b61c880c73a1d08d60777afce5b32.jpg

Thank you for the response. Your input is truly appreciated.

One more follow-up question... you mention that we will be walking along a sidewalk and come to a fence with a large opening. Is this a gate that is always open for access or a hole that has been cut in the fence that we may have a difficult time getting through with our luggage? We wouldn't want to be looked at as being trespassers or hobos... :-) Would we have to pass by security at that point?

Just want to make certain this is really what we want to do' date=' as the alternative doesn't seem very desirable.

Thanks again![/quote']

There was a steady stream of people doing this. Actually, I think some people may have parked in the parking lot on this corner and just rolled their luggage a short way to get to the gate. There will be security directing traffic and helping people cross the street, but you won't put your bags or yourself through security until you enter the terminal. There was a large mob of people giving their luggage to the porters outside of the terminal but it only took a few minutes. Don't be shy, push your way through. Then you enter the door with your carryons and start the security process. It took a few minutes to get through security then to the check in, again, only a few minutes. We didn't have any line but I think if you get there a bit later (our time on our papers said 1:30 but we got there by 12) there may be a line, so go early.

They provide a free shuttle. There is no need to walk. They have plenty of shuttles and busses.

I understand they have plenty of shuttles that run quite often. I was just thinking if the traffic is backed up maybe it would be faster to just walk across the street instead of being stuck in traffic in the shuttle.

There was a steady stream of people doing this. Actually, I think some people may have parked in the parking lot on this corner and just rolled their luggage a short way to get to the gate. There will be security directing traffic and helping people cross the street, but you won't put your bags or yourself through security until you enter the terminal. There was a large mob of people giving their luggage to the porters outside of the terminal but it only took a few minutes. Don't be shy, push your way through. Then you enter the door with your carryons and start the security process. It took a few minutes to get through security then to the check in, again, only a few minutes. We didn't have any line but I think if you get there a bit later (our time on our papers said 1:30 but we got there by 12) there may be a line, so go early.

Thank you World Gallery... Your input and assistance are appreciated. We will take your suggestion and avoid a lot of the vehicle traffic and congestion.

Thanks much!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank-you World Galley.

You are 100 % correct. It is a short walk from the corner to the pier. Now-a-day with wheeled luggage it is a peace of cake to roll your luggage 1 block. Even though there is a shuttle from my parking garage to the pier, I plan on dropping everyone off at the corner and parking the car. Then meeting them on the corner and walking to the pier. Even the shuttles will be stuck in the traffic. That is of course if it is not raining. Then were stuck with the traffic problem.

I am 82 and mobile. That helps. But the more people who walk the block the less people in cars/shuttles trying to get to the pier. Especially when both the Voyager and the Elation are at the pier on the same day.

Thanks for confirming what I was going to do. I have sailed out of New Orleans at least a dozen times. Great port. Lots of fun sailing down the Mississippi. Never get tired of it.

Don't let the first cruise of the Voyager keep you from sailing out of New Orleans. You just have to have some patience. Once on the ship you will love it.

Bandit

Has anyone sailed out of New Orleans? If so, is it organized or disorganized and what else can you tell me about it?

Thanks

I sailed in June and it was very well organized. Relatively quick and easy! I sailed out of New Orleans 10 years ago and it was a NIGHTMARE, which made me hesitant to book the June cruise.

Thank you World Gallery... Your input and assistance are appreciated. We will take your suggestion and avoid a lot of the vehicle traffic and congestion.

Thanks much!

Just read thru this whole thread and gotta say World Gallery, you nailed all of the tips and tricks I'd suggest. I was a virgin cruiser on the 11/12 Voyager trip, and not knowing any better, got stuck in a lot of traffic, check-in delays, etc. that could've been avoided (or, at this point, seems like some of the issues downtown have been fixed).

If you can walk a few blocks with your bags, that is the best way to go -- embarking and disembarking. I couldn't believe the amount of traffic the day we embarked -- complicated by a jewelry show happening at the same time at the convention center. It was nuts! I've heard from other recent cruisers that a lot of the issues have been resolved, but the traffic on Convention Ctr. Blvd. will not change.

Wonder if the new pedi cabs can navigate traffic a little easier?

Just returned from a Voyager cruise and agree that Julia St is the way to go. Just head toward the Riverwalk (on the left side of the road, same side as the "whale lot") and the porters will be on the right (take the ramp to the road) just before the escalators. You then cross the tracks and service road (there's security there directing traffic) and you're at the port. We wheeled the luggage over from the Embassy Suites and then returned with my mother in her wheel chair. Very easy.

Can anyone tell me how much parking is @ the garage terminal for the Voyager? Dropping off @ the Julia/Convention Center corner is great except for the fact that if you are parking in the terminal garage you are still going to have to wait in a long line.

From the Port of NO website:

http://www.portno.com/pno_pages/cruises_passenger_info.htm#julia

Parking for Julia St. Cruise Terminal

Once entering Port of New Orleans Place, proceed past the Erato Street Terminal to Julia Street. There you will be directed to the Julia St Terminal drop-off area where you will be assisted with your luggage by Seacaps. You will then be directed down Julia St. where you will take a right turn onto the Service Roadway into the “Whale Lot.” Parking costs $16 per day. Before leaving your car make sure that you have both parking tickets accounted for because they will be needed on the way out of the facility. A shuttle is provided back to the terminal if needed. Parking lot is secured, lighted and patrolled.

We are just off of the Voyager of the Seas. We are locals and have sailed out of New Orleans many times with no problems at all (and have sailed out of other places as well so we have something to compare to). It was never a problem in the past but this time, the only big problem was the traffic flow trying to get into the terminal. There are ways around this issue though. I just wrote my review and I included what to do. I wrote:

Disembarkation was the easiest and fastest we have ever had on any ship. Embarkation was very fast and easy once you got to the terminal. If you want a much easier way to get to the ship (this is for RCCL but you can keep walking to your right to get to the Carnival terminal), do this: Do not get in the long line of traffic that leads you into the terminal. Instead, get dropped off at the corner of Julia Street and Convention Center Blvd. (Mulates restaurant is across the street.) You then walk about one block to the railroad tracks and the terminal is right there. There is a gate that is open and people will then direct you into the terminal door. Yes, you have to roll your luggage a block but it is worth it. Also, there is a parking lot (but not covered) across the street from Mulates or there were lots of other places to park. Just don't get into that long line of traffic and you will get onto the ship very quickly.

Mrcruzdoggie - Sorry you were treated like that. That is unlike any "local" I know. Definitely not the norm here!:)

Our hotel is .8 miles from terminal so we're thinking of using an Advanced Check In service. $25 for up to 4 bags ($5 each addtl bag) left at bell desk of our hotel. We'll then explore Riverwalk, etc. and walk to the terminal when we want to board. Our bags will be on board and delivered to our cabin.

Thank you so much for these and the other helpful comments. We will be sailing out of New Orleans for the first time, and I wanted to have as much information about the embarkation process as I could. I have been tracking what you said on my Maps app and I think I "get it."

Archived