Celebrity pulling out of NJ????

njaloha

I'm not seeing any cruises out of NJ for the winter of 2012/2013 on the Celebrity Plan and Book. Does this mean that once the Silhouette leaves after its 2012 winter schedule (she's wintering in Florida 2012/13), nothing is replacing her for the fall/winter next year? I read somewhere on these boards (but can't find it) that the Explorer of the Seas is leaving NJ in April of 2013.

Has anybody heard or read anything as to why? I'm stricken!!! :eek:

Sadly, I believe that this season is a one and done for Silhouette; we live in Connecticut and love not having to deal with the hassle of flying. I'm now searching for future cruises that end in NY and we only have to fly one way; there are some out there but not too many and really none in the January-March time frame. I guess it's going to have to be FLL or Miami which are short flights at least.

Sad. I live in NJ and have yet to take advantage of the NJ port. I'd like to, but I'm limited to October for my vacation and that's hurricane season going to bermuda so it scares me. I guess there's Canada/NE but I wanted to stick with S class ships.

I too hate the hassle of flying. They make it SO unpleasant. I wonder what it was like back in the day where they didn't herd you in like cattle and everyone got all dressed up to fly. It must have felt very different back then.

I too hate the hassle of flying. They make it SO unpleasant. I wonder what it was like back in the day where they didn't herd you in like cattle and everyone got all dressed up to fly. It must have felt very different back then.

Back in the day, people sat wherever they wanted, and lit a cigarette as soon as they sat down. You could cut the air with a knife. It wasn't all THAT terrific, other than the choice of meals... :)

Back in the day, people sat wherever they wanted, and lit a cigarette as soon as they sat down. You could cut the air with a knife. It wasn't all THAT terrific, other than the choice of meals... :)

Ah yes I remember the "Smoking" days too...that I don't miss! lol I was moreso referring to how flying used to be viewed as a much more "elite" thing to do, I guess, but that was before my time I think.

Someday I'll afford a first class trip LOL. Someday....

I heard someone mentioning that but I haven't seen anything to verify that. Then again, I also heard when we were on the Silhouette last week that the Reflection will sail from NJ. That too, I have yet to find evidence of.

I heard someone mentioning that but I haven't seen anything to verify that. Then again, I also heard when we were on the Silhouette last week that the Reflection will sail from NJ. That too, I have yet to find evidence of.

I'd really like to sail on her during her maiden year...guess we'll see what happens :-)

Sadly, I believe that this season is a one and done for Silhouette; we live in Connecticut and love not having to deal with the hassle of flying. I'm now searching for future cruises that end in NY and we only have to fly one way; there are some out there but not too many and really none in the January-March time frame. I guess it's going to have to be FLL or Miami which are short flights at least.

The Explorer will be cruising out if NJ next winter. They are offering 9 and 10 day cruises. Unfortunately, only one 10 day in January and one in March.

Sad. I live in NJ and have yet to take advantage of the NJ port. I'd like to, but I'm limited to October for my vacation and that's hurricane season going to bermuda so it scares me. I guess there's Canada/NE but I wanted to stick with S class ships.

TO ARIA WOMAN,

Indeed compared to today, the smoking was a HUGE issue... but then again there was smoking everywhere, so people were pretty accustomed to it and one barely noticed (after places started to ban smoking, was when it became apparent how bad it was on public transit)

The non-hassle bit was the best part (what I have fond memories of). You got to the airport checked in, and got yourself a drink... more than one if you wanted... no one didn't board you if you'd been drinking. And they served booze on the flights too (not like today where booze is so limited... I don't think that we tolerate drunks any less than we did back then... just that seeing as everyone is more miserable to begin with the airlines see a lot more air rage than they used to from passengers)

Back in the 60s and 70s, your family could even come right up to the gate to see you off... or meet youme (that all changed in the 70s when hijackings began... that is when they first implemented the security check points with the original scanners & x-rays for carry on)

There were also more "classes" on board than there are now... First Class - Business - Economy - Coach... 3 or 4 different classes with different perks were not uncommon. Now most flights just offer 2 classes... First Class / Business and Economy / Coach. With Coach being larger, and price structuring changing, then the amenities offered have been less as well.

On the plane the food was really pretty good. Meals of some description was served on just about every flight... I remember getting a full hot breakfast on a one hour flight for example between Montreal and Toronto. For the return if it was a late afternoon flight (with many business folks) it was typically cocktails and appys.

Eating (and drinking) was a good way to pass the time for a nervous flyer like myself. It could make a long flight seem so much shorter as you were very preoccupied with something else (enjoyable) to do

I miss the old days in some regards... hate it now when I fly to the US (International Flight) and they throw a packet of peanuts your way if you are lucky. When I fly into Florida (3+ Hours) I get to BUY from a very limited pre-made sandwich list and maybe get a bag of chips. Really pathetic if you ask me !!

Thanks for the "taxi" down the memory run-way,

Cheers!

The Explorer will be cruising out if NJ next winter. They are offering 9 and 10 day cruises. Unfortunately, only one 10 day in January and one in March.

Yes, this is true, but after April 2013? Nothing on the RCCL booking engine after April 2013.

I will always choose a longer cruise from NJ, Baltimore, or even Boston over flying. It's not worth all the frustration and hassle for me for just a three hour flight.

We're booked out of Ft. Lauderdale for next thanksgiving but I'm already contemplating the RCCL out of NJ instead.

Considering that the bookings for Reflection have temporarily closed awaiting a big announcement on Wednesday, that could be true.

My first flight was in 1953 (never mind how old I was) and I remember it very well. Mom was all dressed up in heels and a dress. Very exciting time.

We took off from Oakland or San Francisco (don't remember) going to Kansas City. Short time out we lost an engine. Pilot said not to worry, we could make it on 3 engines (yeah, right). Then we lost another engine so, with 2 props whirling away we headed for a close airport. On a long final, we lost the 3rd engine and made a very messy landing although nobody was badly hurt. Couldn't say the same for the plane. The one thing that I remember is that I thought it was great fun to be bouncing around but the stewardesses were hysterical. LOL

Archived