Cave Diving in Isle Roatan, Belize, or Cozumel?

SnappySuzy

Well, now that I've finally let the cat out of the bag to my scuba loving husband (our Christmas cruise was a surprise gift to him from me), he's starting to get excited and asking me questions. So...

He told me last night that he'd LOVE to go cave diving (I forget the technical term he used) when we are in Isle Roatan, Belize, or Cozumel (already have a dive booked for him in Costa Maya) because his coworker said that the cave dive he did was the best dive ever. Have any of you found cave diving in any of those ports? :confused:

Thanks for your advice!

Well, now that I've finally let the cat out of the bag to my scuba loving husband (our Christmas cruise was a surprise gift to him from me), he's starting to get excited and asking me questions. So...

He told me last night that he'd LOVE to go cave diving (I forget the technical term he used) when we are in Isle Roatan, Belize, or Cozumel (already have a dive booked for him in Costa Maya) because his coworker said that the cave dive he did was the best dive ever. Have any of you found cave diving in any of those ports? :confused:

Thanks for your advice!

You might look into diving cenotes on the Yucatan peninsula. Cenotes are sweetwater "holes" which make for spectacular diving, esp. "Dos Ochos". But I'm not sure if your timeframe is sufficient for that.... Try Google "diveshops yucatan cenotes".

Susanne

There are cave dives in Cozumel, but he would have to be a certified technical cave diver (an experienced diver recently died on a cave dive there). But, if he's had enough dives to qualify, he could dive St. Mary's Place on Roatan. It's not a cave, but there are segments that are closed overhead and it's like diving in a cave. You have to provide proof that you've done five dives recently and they will look at your log book to verify. They had to close that dive for five years due to diver damage, so it's very protected now.

There are cave dives in Cozumel, but he would have to be a certified technical cave diver (an experienced diver recently died on a cave dive there). But, if he's had enough dives to qualify, he could dive St. Mary's Place on Roatan. It's not a cave, but there are segments that are closed overhead and it's like diving in a cave. You have to provide proof that you've done five dives recently and they will look at your log book to verify. They had to close that dive for five years due to diver damage, so it's very protected now.

He is PADI certified, but I'll definitely check it out. He'd be going through a dive shop/tour regardless since we aren't hauling gear with us from Maine.

He is PADI certified, but I'll definitely check it out. He'd be going through a dive shop/tour regardless since we aren't hauling gear with us from Maine.

Can't do any overhead environments (caverns, wrecks, etc) with basic open water.

Can't do any overhead environments (caverns, wrecks, etc) with basic open water.

Thanks! I'm not sure what level he is. I'm just on the "being a good wifey" thing trying to do the research for him. I certainly appreciate all the information!

Mary's Place is out front of Barefoot Bay Resort on Roatan--a VERY nice dive last week. They said one must be an Advanced Diver to go. In PADI parlance, Advanced is right after Open Water and allows for a little deeper dives.

Barefoot Bay is an extraordinary dive operation. They do everything for you. We were likein' that. We may stay there for a week sometime. They are higher than some other shops but are exactly where you want to be to dive Mary's Place and do a nice job of getting you there...................

Mary's Place is out front of Barefoot Bay Resort on Roatan--a VERY nice dive last week. They said one must be an Advanced Diver to go. In PADI parlance, Advanced is right after Open Water and allows for a little deeper dives.

Barefoot Bay is an extraordinary dive operation. They do everything for you. We were likein' that. We may stay there for a week sometime. They are higher than some other shops but are exactly where you want to be to dive Mary's Place and do a nice job of getting you there...................

I've dived with them twice, and I agree, they are a great operation. On our upcoming B2B, however, I wanted to try someone else and so we're going with Subway Watersports. They also have a great reputation and offer Mary's Place. The problem with Barefoot Divers is that you have pay $20 per person for a 5-minute taxi ride over there. The ride is included with Subway, and the price is the same for a two-tank dive with both shops. That was an $80 taxi ride for us in August! :eek:

I've dived with them twice, and I agree, they are a great operation. On our upcoming B2B, however, I wanted to try someone else and so we're going with Subway Watersports. They also have a great reputation and offer Mary's Place. The problem with Barefoot Divers is that you have pay $20 per person for a 5-minute taxi ride over there. The ride is included with Subway, and the price is the same for a two-tank dive with both shops. That was an $80 taxi ride for us in August! :eek:

We paid $20. rt for 2 people a few weeks ago. That is the posted rate. We may well try another op in the West End next time. I haven't been over there in years. What is the taxi rate? That's great re: Subway including transportation. I will look into that

There is some nice cave Dive at Cozumel island

You can contact

http://Www.mydeeplife.com

Grettings

You could call it a cave dive by sticking in your head! I did that and there was a little room, interesting to see anyway. Stay long enough to let your eyes adjust and take a good dive light. It is near where snorkelers and divers go down the steps to the water and to the left in very shallow water.

Archived