Off the Beaten Path Excursions

vbc33

Hey everyone,

Cruising in a month to the Eastern Caribbean and am looking for the BEST excursions. I don't want to spend a ton of money, but am really looking for anyone who knows of a great experience I can have that I may not find on the cruise line excursion list.....something unique to the area that I'll never forget. On my last cruise, we found someone on board who took us to a hike/cliff jumping experience in Ocho Rios and it was absolutely amazing.

Does anyone have thoughts? If not, any suggestions will be welcomed!

Thanks in advance for your help!

You are in SJ on a Monday night, 4p-10pm?

You are really limited, but if you have never been to OSJ before, I would take the time, get a map and just explore OSJ. Maybe do it via Segway tour, or a walking tour (with or without food or rum).

Yup that's us, 4-10 Monday. I definitely want to make a quick trip to Barrachina (birth place of the Pina Colada) and Senor Frogs (for a novelty yard), but Old San Juan sounds interesting. Was also thinking of checking out Castillo de San Cristobal.

Thanks for the help so far everyone, keep the ideas coming! :)

One thing I want to do when I go back in Jan is take an early evening ferry ride over to Cantano (sp? - where the Bacardi rum factory is), have a drink or two at Don Tello, and take night photos of Old San Juan from that angle. The ferry supposedly runs every half hour, and the fare is, I think, less than $1.

There's also a brewery in Old San Juan, Harbor Brewery, and that's also on my list for my next trip. You always hear about the rum, but very little about the beer.

I want to hear more about your hike/cliff adventure in Jamaica! Please share!

I want to hear more about your hike/cliff adventure in Jamaica! Please share!

It was awesome! We met a guest DJ who was on the boat the first night we embarked and it was his 4th week on the boat. Some other crew had taken who to this place in Ocho Rios two weeks prior and he figured out group would LOVE it. So we got off the boat, he negotiated the cab fare and we headed up in the hills. THe ride up was scary enough with windy, narrow roads but we eventually arrived at Blue Hole. There were a handful of locals who were there who led us through the area. The first spot was about a 15 foot jump I'd say into this beautiful, cool blue water. It also had a rope swing. Then we went up a little further to the next area, which had a big rock cliff with water running down it. The locals guys walked us down to a point where we can safely jump off into the water. Then we hiked up a little farther where there was just a nice shaded pool area to lounge in. Then on the way back we found a clearing in the trees about 25 feet above the water and I asked our guide if we can do one last jump. He looked at me, then to the water, and just took off! So we got one extra BIG jump before we headed back to port.

It was just one of those things you KNOW you could never find on a cruise line's excursion list, and was the highlight of that cruise!

Archived