N. Dawn Resturant Questions

cruiser045

Venetian, Aqua and Impressions are included. The food is really good in all. I especially liked Aqua as it is run by all women. If you choose to go to a pay restaurant the meal in Cagney's was wonderful. Salsa is also free but you need a reservation, very good texish mex kind of food, altho they had meatloaf and my husband said it was really good.

Nordic Empress 6/02

Norwegian Dawn 6/03

Pride of Aloha 9/04

There are five free restuarants plus the Blue Lagoon, the Buffet and the PUB where food is also served. You don't need reservatiosn for Impressions Aqua and the Venetian room (or the Buffet of Course). YOu need reservations for Salsa(which I recommend highly) and the Italian one on the smae deck as the buffet- but these are free. You need reservations and pay extra for Cagney's(which we didn't try but people speak higly about). Le Bisto where we ate and the service was good and Bamboo(which includes the temiyanki room(like benihanas) If you book a anniversary package you get alot of extras plus free eating at Le Bistro(flowers canapes wine in your room and at LeBistro) well worth it in my view. Blue Lagoon is a grill and salad place open 24 hours with good food. Is that enough?

Proud charter member of the PPS-Passport Pusher Society

Mother's Day on the Dawn

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;05;09;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

smeyer418@yahoo.com

Celebrity, NCL, Overnight Ferry, hydrofoil between countries, car ferries and river cruise and of course the Staten Island Ferry

Of Venitian, Impressions and Aqua our favorite was Aqua with Venitian a close second. Our most disappointing meal was in Impressions food was good but we got a sort of absentminded waiter who had to be asked for just about everything 2 or 3 times (maybe he was just having a bad night.)

We also loved Salsa. We only tried it near the end of the cruise or we probably would have gone again. The staff there was really helpful and fun and though the waiter's English was a little shaky he really seemed to try to do everything to please us.

When we cruised they also were turning part of the Garden Cafe into an Italian Restaurant in the evening ( La Trattoria?) we heard some negative comments about it early in the cruise so with all the other good restaurants we just never bothered to try it.

The previous posts are right:

Bamboo (Oriental cuisine): this one is a little tricky. Bamboo is in fact a group of 3 different things: Sushi Bar with cover charge, the Bamboo dinning room with cover charge and Teppenyaki room (sp?) which is à la carte pricing. You need a reservation and tell them which room you want(sushi, Bamboo, Tepenyaki).

Le Bistro (French cuisine): cover charge + you need a reservation

Cagney’s (Steakhouse): cover charge + you need a reservation

Venitian : No extra charge, no reservation needed

Aqua: No extra charge, no reservation needed

Impressions: No extra charge, no reservation needed

(these 3 main dinning rooms have all about the same menu the same night but the menu changes every day)

Salsa (Tex-Mex cuisine): No extra charge, you need a reservation

La Trattoria: (Italian cuisine) No extra charge, you need a reservation

(the menu for each of these 2 restaurants stay the same for the entire cruise)

Garden Café (Buffet): No extra charge, no reservation needed

Blue Lagoon (fast food open 23 hours a day): No extra charge, no reservation needed

Room Service (24 hours a day): No extra charge but a tip is recommended for the delivery to your room (for breakfast you must preorder the night before. Otherwise, no reservation needed).

Pool Side BBQ: No extra charge, no reservation needed (checkout the Fresstyle Daily to see at what time the BBQ is scheduled).

Pearly Kings Pub and other lounges also have food at certain times. Sometimes it is Chicken stew in a bread bowl, sometimes fish and chips, they may have other things but I am not aware of what it is: No extra charge, no reservation needed (checkout the Fresstyle Daily it sometimes list at what time you can eat at what lounge or just drop in and check with them).

I hope I didn’t forget anything…

I don’t think you will go hungry on this ship!

P.S. There is also ice cream at certain times and Popcorn… and chocolate on your pillow at night!

icon_smile.gif

NCL Dawn, December 2003

Not enough? One more option: The Bimini Bar offers a lunchtime menu of chicken, hot dogs, and hamburgs, cooked to order, with lots of trimmings including cheese, pickles, and fries. I'm not sure if the same fries are served shipwide, but these are great. This bar is very convenient to those lounging in the upper levels above the pool, and the front deck of the ship. Don't tell anyone about the front deck, as there is usually room out there, open lounge chairs, and room in the hot tub. Oops, somebody may be listening!!

Tom/Connecticut

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomct:

Not enough? One more option: The Bimini Bar offers a lunchtime menu of chicken, hot dogs, and hamburgs, cooked to order, with lots of trimmings including cheese, pickles, and fries. I'm not sure if the same fries are served shipwide, but these are great. This bar is very convenient to those lounging in the upper levels above the pool, and the front deck of the ship. Don't tell anyone about the front deck, as there is usually room out there, open lounge chairs, and room in the hot tub. Oops, somebody may be listening!!

Tom/Connecticut

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

tom

Now you've done it. You broke the oath. When I get back onboard and can't find room in the forward hottub or have to wait for the best chicken sandwich on the Dawn I will know who to blame icon_wink.gif

Seaward 1/89,Southward II 1/91,Windward 10/93,

Norway 3/94,4/96

Dreamward 4/97

Dream 12/99

QE2 4/02

Carnival Spirit 7/02

NCL Sun 10/03

NCL Dawn 2/03,7/03,2/04

No Clock = No Next Cruise

Shoreguy: Sorry about that, I was hoping no one else was listening!!

But, if that happens, maybe you could have an impromptu CC meeting, it would be a good chance they read it here!!

Tom/Connecticut

For cruiser045...

In addition to all of the above...there is the Chocoholic Buffet on Monday in the Venetian at 2:00 p.m.

Just a bit of advice from a compulsive pre-planning person...when it comes to breakfast you can only eat in the VENETIAN, GARDEN BUFFET, Room Service, and BLUE LAGOON. Lunch is limited to VENETIAN, GARDEN BUFFET, Room Service, BLUE LAGOON, BIMINI BAR & GRILL, On-Deck Barbeques (there is even one on the Private Island), and perhaps PEARLY KINGS PUB occasionally (check "Freestyle Daily"). The only exception we saw in the "lunch" plan was on Embarkation Day and Chocoholic Buffet day when the AQUA or BAMBOO may be open. For the day at GREAT STIRRUP CAY, only the Garden Buffet was open for lunch...BLUE LAGOON and VENETIAN were NOT listed.

With all the choices...I was glad I had planned my dining itinerary out ahead of time. That way we didn't waste valuable "on-board" time trying to figure out where the five of us wanted to eat. Is it possible that there are too many choices?!?!?!? icon_eek.gif

Debjo icon_biggrin.gif

Boatwht.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;4;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Until the NORWEGIAN DAWN 2004 (Can't Hardly Wait But Still Wishing I Was Going On The NORWAY Instead!)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 NORWEGIAN MAJESTY 2004 Bermuda Bound Again!

QE2-Bermuda 2003

PACIFIC PRINCESS-Bermuda 2002

REGAL EMPRESS-New England/Canada 2001

The do have fish & chips in the Pub, and also heard they had other items, like soup, sometime during the day. Not sure if it's everyday or not, we were never around there during the day.

Tom/Connecticut

For hunter68...

On our DAWN cruise, last week, they served fish & chips in the PEARLY KINGS PUB from 5:00 pm to midnight every night except Saturday. NOTE: When we ate lunch at the BLUE LAGOON one day...the menus had "fish & chips". When asked, the waiter said that it is the same "fish & chips" that is served in PEARLY KINGS PUB at dinner. So if you want "fish & chips" for lunch...try the BLUE LAGOON.

If you're looking for "lunch" at the PEARLY KINGS PUB, lunch was served twice during our cruise from noon to 2:00 pm...Monday featured Steak Pie and Saturday featured Chicken & Mushroom Pie. Can't tell you how they tasted...we were eating lunch in VENETIAN and the COOKOUT on the PRIVATE ISLAND those days.

HAVE FUN DECIDING ON YOUR DINING VENUES!

Debjo icon_biggrin.gif

Boatwht.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;4;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Until the NORWEGIAN DAWN 2004 (Can't Hardly Wait But Still Wishing I Was Going On The NORWAY Instead!)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 NORWEGIAN MAJESTY 2004 Bermuda Bound Again!

QE2-Bermuda 2003

PACIFIC PRINCESS-Bermuda 2002

REGAL EMPRESS-New England/Canada 2001

We loved Salsa and the Pearly King's Pub has awesome Fish 'n' chips. We ate in the Pub nearly every night. Only twice in the main dining room. Gosh, just thinking about the fish in the pub is making my mouth water!

RCI Majesty of the Seas 06/05/2000

RCI Enchantment of the Seas 12/09/2001

Carnival Conquest 12/01/2002

Norwegian Dawn 11/30/2003

Norwegian Star to Alaska 6/26/05

Life is too short to be unhappy!

• 1 year later...

I asked this question in other forum but haven't got an answer yet. May be I have a better luck on this one.

My question: What is the cover charge for the Le Bistro and Sushi resturants? And do I need to pay extra again on the item I order? Thiat is do need to pay cover charge + ala carte for each item I order?

Its about 20 at the Bisto and I think 15 at the Bamboo. You can order from the menu they give you but if you want surf and turf ot the special grill at Bistro its extra. Bamboo also has a fixed menu and a la carte. A couple of hints the 79 honeymoon package includes dinner at Bistro and wine. Its a great deal. and on the first night Bamboo is half price and when the ship is at sea- Bamboo is open for lunch and reduced as well.

IMO, I don't think the meal at the Bistro was worth the extra fee. I had a fish fillet (don't remember what type) and it was dried out. Many of the meals were the same as you can get during the week, in the non-fee restaurants. On a 10 day cruise, we ate twice at the Italian restaurant; the pasta was excellent with many choices. We also ate at Salsas ; very good . We really enjoyed all 3 main restaurants and would alternate between them.

I'm hungry now reading this post. I know I want to try Bambo, Tep,(sp), the Italian place and Salsa's. I didn't plan out my entire week, which night where.

Which of those three are hardest to get ressie at the time you want? Do any of these places setrve lunch? I think I might have read somewhere that the Tep. in Bambo did.

debjo.

Will I have too many choices and not know what to do???

That sounds like fun!

Teppanyaki, we found, was hardest to get a reservation at -- a hint from Shoreguy -- go for lunch! Easier to get in, and they're open for lunch on sea days! Wish we'd have thought of that...

We really enjoyed the pasta cafe and Salsa's on our 11-night cruise. We also loved Cagney's and of course Le Bistro. In fact, we only ate dinner one night out of 11 at one of the "main" dining rooms! Don't know how we did that... :D

Le Bistro is our favorite Dawn restaurant. Not only do they have a fantastic menu, but the service is fantastic. My standard meal there begins with Escargot in garlic butter, followed by Cream of Forest Mushroom soup in a crusty sour dough bowl, and Caesar Salad. My main course is either filet mignon or surf & turf (lobster tails with filet), but others with me like the combo's which are broiled meat or sea food items cooked/served in a unique style, kinda like shish-ka-bob. My other main course is the Chocolate Fondue, the house specialty, an unbelievably great tasting chocolate for dipping a variety of fruit. We usually go there twice on each of our four cruises.

Archived