hotel directors

oceanseagle12

I skipped the M&G this time.. The Captain and The HD along with the Cruise Director had a 30 to 45 minute Q&A during one of the sea days.. But the Hotel director was always walking around the ship always in the dinning areas he even was talking to paxs during dinner making sure everything was okay and would cleaning off tables when people would get up and leave..

His name is Steven Jacobsen from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He is something else. I have cruise with him on The Pearl and The Gem.

The HDs at our meet and greets always said something like "tell us right away if there is a problem...we want to hear about it now and not read about it on cruise critic!"

I found them to be very responsive. The Food and Beverage director reports to the HD and on one cruise he was also very helpful.

I don't want to start a war with this, but knowing how busy the officers are, and that they go the extra mile on NCL to support CC at the meet and greets, Please do your best to attend the meet and greet to show them that you care also.

The lack of support from officers on other cruise lines is obvious after you see how NCL performs.

Your advice may be valid, but it still doesn't address the observation about the differences among cruise lines. Good grief.

lol my question was about NCL. I saw something different about NCL. And, considering I havent been on NCL yet, I was curious if there was anything to it. Thanks for adding so much insight.

So in one post, your question is about differences among cruise lines, and then in the next it is about NCL. Good Grief is right.

Maybe if you'd worry more about listening to those opinions that you claimed to have wanted instead of trying to endlessly twist and argue everything you've said, you might realize that people here are giving you helpful information...even if it isn't stated in the precise way in which you think it should be.

Do what you want...its only your cruise at stake here, not mine. However, I've NEVER seen a single poster whose taken the advise I've given you and then had a bad cruise.

I don't want to start a war with this, but knowing how busy the officers are, and that they go the extra mile on NCL to support CC at the meet and greets, Please do your best to attend the meet and greet to show them that you care also.

The lack of support from officers on other cruise lines is obvious after you see how NCL performs.

You won't get any arguments from me. Actually, when I read about how NCL handles the M&G, it made me want to go to it. Just a couple of months ago, there were only about three of us on our roll call who were interested, so we didn't think it was going to happen. I volunteered to be the contact person, and got the ball rolling. With the few of us pushing it, we now have 50 people who have RSVP. Hopefully, the majority shows up!

So in one post, your question is about differences among cruise lines, and then in the next it is about NCL. Good Grief is right.

Maybe if you'd worry more about listening to those opinions that you claimed to have wanted instead of trying to endlessly twist and argue everything you've said, you might realize that people here are giving you helpful information...even if it isn't stated in the precise way in which you think it should be.

Do what you want...its only your cruise at stake here, not mine. However, I've NEVER seen a single poster whose taken the advise I've given you and then had a bad cruise.

I am sorry you don't get my question. If something is unique to NCL, it is by definition a difference between cruise lines. And there are COUNTLESS posts on this board about the difference between NCL and some other line. My question is both on topic and appropriate for this forum. Otherwise, the mods here will move it.

lol my question was about NCL. I saw something different about NCL. And, considering I havent been on NCL yet, I was curious if there was anything to it. Thanks for adding so much insight.

I am sorry you don't get my question. If something is unique to NCL, it is by definition a difference between cruise lines. And there are COUNTLESS posts on this board about the difference between NCL and some other line. My question is both on topic and appropriate for this forum. Otherwise, the mods here will move it.

So, once again you are trying to change what you've already said in order to proved some ever-changing point.

The quotes above are YOUR words. First you ask about differences, then about NCL, then about differences. I just don't understand why it keeps changing.

Why don't you just restate your original question to clearly state what it is that you're asking? Maybe that will get you the answer that you want since you clearly can't accept what nobody (but you) has disputed.

So, once again you are trying to change what you've already said in order to proved some ever-changing point.

The quotes above are YOUR words. First you ask about differences, then about NCL, then about differences. I just don't understand why it keeps changing.

Why don't you just restate your original question to clearly state what it is that you're asking? Maybe that will get you the answer that you want since you clearly can't accept what nobody (but you) has disputed.

I actually think she got her answer and has stated that she is going to attend the meet and greet. Hopefully, the hotel director will attend and she'll understand from first hand experience. She sounds happy, you sound angry. I don't understand why you are so upset..:confused::confused::confused:

Hey Oceanseagle,

I can't compare cruise lines since I've only been on NCL. However, I was really impressed by the visibility and personal interaction of the officers with the passengers on the Jade. We are leaving in less than a week on the Spirit, and I already plan to introduce myself to the HD when we board, as I am also organizing our Meet and Greet. From what I've read too, the HD's are very social and welcoming. I'm looking forward to that as knowing the crew will increase my enjoyment and experience on board!

Hope you have a great time and will look forward to your post recounting your experience! Planning to share mine too.

I actually think she got her answer and has stated that she is going to attend the meet and greet. Hopefully, the hotel director will attend and she'll understand from first hand experience. She sounds happy, you sound angry. I don't understand why you are so upset..:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks. Not only am I attending, I arranged it, and think it is great that NCL is so accommodating. :) I just intended this thread to be an observation based on these boards, and was curious what may be behind it. Seems like people here are just more aware of who the HD is because of the m&g.

I do look forward to seeing that first hand!!

oh... I'm a "he" ;) not that there would be any way to tell on here...

Every question anyone asks on this board can be answered if you just go experience it yourself. The whole point of cruise critic is to learn from others experience. You may not have any insight to offer, but others might, and I'm curious to hear what they have to say.

You seemed to have read something that isn't there- that my question was a judgmental one, as if I had concluded that people were silly for caring who the HD was, or that the HD was insignificant to me or didn't matter. If that was the case, I can't imagine why I would ask the question.

I have always participated in cruise critic prior to my cruises. No one ever discussed the HD, until I started participating in the NCL boards, and I noticed a lot of conversation about it.

That surprised me, and so I was curious to know if there was a difference on NCL. I might see the answer when I go next week. In the meantime, others might chime in with some info.

I'm not sure what EdJack's concern is, but re: NCL Hotel Directors:

- They are personable

- They are visible. Management by walking around (in a good sense)

- They are customer-service oriented. Solve the problem now, before it ruins your vacation.

- They are hospitable. While not required, they occasionally will extend niceties (at their discretion). On my recent sailing, the HD sent me a card for dinner for 2 + wine at a specialty restaurant.

- They are responsible for the vast majority of onboard services. A good Hotel Director typically has good line managers, and ultimately a happier crew. The 'vibe' of a good HD can be felt throughout the ship.

Stephen

Best way to find both the HD and Group Services Coordinator is to go the Guest Services Desk and ask to speak with them. Thought for you. I always take "Thank You" cards on board with me. I just some new ones that are a little more masculine in tone. I always send notes to the HD, Food and Beverage Director and Group Services Coordinator and sometimes to the Captain. Mandy

Thanks Christie. I hadn't thought about doing that, but that is a good idea. Any idea of the best way to find them? Isn't there also a group coordinator on board that I should reach out to before the meet & greet? Or someone else?

Great question about the group coordinator! I was under the same impression and through asking on CC found out that the group coordinator is land-based and will not be on the ship, therefore not the person who will be arranging the on ship details of your Meet and Greet. From what I've heard on these boards, that person (although probably one of their staff physically does the job) is the Hotel Director.

Great question about the group coordinator! I was under the same impression and through asking on CC found out that the group coordinator is land-based and will not be on the ship, therefore not the person who will be arranging the on ship details of your Meet and Greet. From what I've heard on these boards, that person (although probably one of their staff physically does the job) is the Hotel Director.

There are 2 Group Coordinators for each ship. One is land based and person who contacts the ship to set up the M&G's. The on board Coordinator handles all the details ( getting the refreshments, getting the space set up, makes sure Senior Staff members have the M&G on their calendars). CC M&G's are just a very small part of their job description ( not one I would want either). Mady

Prior to joining...CC...I had no idea what a HD was or how they can affect a cruise...I have come to find out..(by reading here and by meeting some on cruises)..that they REALLY can make a difference!...In my opinion, the "tone" of the entire ship-comes from the HD...a happy,efficient staff and well maintained and managed ship..is the result of a good HD and that means happy guests!

There are 2 Group Coordinators for each ship. One is land based and person who contacts the ship to set up the M&G's. The on board Coordinator handles all the details ( getting the refreshments, getting the space set up, makes sure Senior Staff members have the M&G on their calendars). CC M&G's are just a very small part of their job description ( not one I would want either). Mady

thanks for the clarification!

Hotel Directors are so important to the overall cruise experience. I didn't even know they existed until my last cruise when I met Jenny and Sean. Oh my gosh.....can't say enough....do they sleep???? eat???? They are all over to make sure we are having a good time!!!!!! They oversee our food, cabins, etc......so much......with a smile on their faces and a cheery attitude......every hour of the day....early morning.....late nights!!!!! Kuddos to Jenny and Sean on the GEM!!!!!

Archived