Jewel Class compared to Princess Grand Class

sdmike

Looking at Alaska for July and it appears that the Golden Princess and Jewel are pretty similar in price for balconies and mini-suites. I'm intrigued by the Grand Class ships like the Golden because of their indoor pool and other similar amenities. They also have two "anytime dining" dining rooms. My big issue with Princess will be the more formal structure of the cruise, including formal night (uck)

Has anyone here sailed the Golden or Star Princess and can compare the experience to a Jewel class ship?

This will be a trip for 14 of us this time, including 5 kids from 10 to 17, and 3 senior citizens. Quite a mix for sure. Guess who the travel planner is. :o

We sailed on the Golden Princess a few years ago and a few other Princess ships since then.

Be aware that the all mini suites, with the exception of those few on the Emerald Deck , have uncovered balconies...We didn't know any better and booked an uncovered mini and hated it, but thats us.

The balcony cabins are a mix of covered , partially covered and uncovered...so choose you cabins accordingly.

Princess is not as formal as some would lead you to beleive..They do enforce collared shirts and no shorts rule in the dining rooms..

On formal nights I have seen everything from tuxedos to no jackets with collared shirts..if you are worried then just bring a blazer/sports coat.

The Princess ships have 3 dining rooms and will change the

their designations based on the number of passengers who have chosen traditional dining. There will always be at least one with anytime dining designation..

With a crowd like you have you should definitely make reservations..

My person preference would be the Jewel..

Thanks Rich. I appreciate the feedback, especially on the room selection. I also know that almost the entire Emerald deck is obstructed view due to lifeboats and tenders.

When you say you prefer the Jewel, what are the top few reasons? Also, what do you think of the amenities and facilities on the Golden? Good condition? Nice layout? I'm actually intrigued by the inside pools when going to Alaska.

The covered minis are Cat AD and are near the stern and the views are not obstructed..there are 6 cabins per side..they do book fast..and make sure you indicate you do NOT want an upgrade. You will end up in an uncovered balcony.

I believe one pool is covered with a retractable roof, I don't remember it being closed but we were sailing in the Carribbean...:D

The Golden was in nice condition and had a good layout..

It does not have the open, Piazza area like the newer, larger ships.

The cabins were a nice size and the food is slightly better. We really like

NCL's larger choice of restaurants.

You might want to check what the Princess thread has to say about the covered pool. I believe it gets really crowded. Alaska in July, I don't think you will be needing the covered pool..

Hi Mike,

I have been on the Grand Princess 2x and Star Princess 1x. The Golden is the sister ship to the them. The Princess Nightclub is very cool! It is way up and has a moving walkway to get there. The second pool is an adult only pool area that has the roof that can close during rainy or cold season. It is very nice! I did open seating two times and it was very similar to NCL with no issues. As far as dress codes, there were more people dressed up on formal night on Princess meaning suits and gowns...but that was years ago and I suspect now it is jacket and cocktail dress for the norm now (meaning less gowns and tux...). The bars and lounges are intriguing and the shows back then were similar but perhaps not as good as NCL now. I do remember some of the balcony cabins on a particular deck were uncovered and others protected above could see right down below on others. I visited a suite for cocktails in the aft and the suites were very nice...different from NCL but still very nice. OH...the Grand class ships also have an awesome pool in the back of ship with great stadium style sunning areas. Since you are going to Alaska, it would also be a great outdoor viewing area. That is all I remember. Oh...after my sister and I went, Princess did change the rules about crew dancing with the passengers. I guess they had too much fun and could not perform their duties the next day, hahahaha.

coka

Mike:

We took our first Princess Cruise on the Grand this past February and have been on the Jewel twice and her sister, the Pearl twice. One trip on the Jewel was a 15 night trans-atlantic so we got to know the ship well. Princess really isn't much different than NCL as far as food or entertainment. I did think the Princess service was slightly better than the average NCL ship but honestly service varies from cruise to cruise. I did notice that Princess enforces dress code rules much more than any NCL ship that I have been on. NCL does a better job with free style dining than Princess does with their anytime dining. Probably due to NCL experience. The balcony cabins were actually quite similar on the princess and NCL ships with the exception of the lack of privacy on some princess decks where people above can look directly down.

Archived