Gem - Penthouse

kfkf

Curious what peoples thoughts are on sleeping 4 in the penthouse (either SE or SF, not that picky about location). Seems to be some conflicting info on wether these accomodate 3 or 4. Have 2 kids tavelling with us(girl 15, boy 8) and they like their space, especially for sleeping.

Some photos of the sofa do not look like it would be very big once pulled out for sleeping. Actually the sofa's look larger in the mini suites on NCL website but we would like the "suite perks" that come with the penthouse and higher if practical.

I think the SE and SF rooms sleep 3...not 4. We sailed earlier this year in a standard balcony room with 5 people...we were on RCL, but the size of the room was equivilent to NCLs. The ages of our children were 5, 3 and 12. It was not very pleasant or comfortable!! I would definitely look at doing connecting rooms or a 2 room family villa. The mini-suites are definitely smaller than the penthouses!

Curious what peoples thoughts are on sleeping 4 in the penthouse (either SE or SF, not that picky about location). Seems to be some conflicting info on wether these accomodate 3 or 4. Have 2 kids tavelling with us(girl 15, boy 8) and they like their space, especially for sleeping.

Some photos of the sofa do not look like it would be very big once pulled out for sleeping. Actually the sofa's look larger in the mini suites on NCL website but we would like the "suite perks" that come with the penthouse and higher if practical.

I would not recommend it. These suites were originally designed for only two people and the work fine for two. Two with one small child would be tight....remember there is only one bathroom.

I would strongly suggest the 2-bedroom Family Suite category SC. this setup would be perfect for your family.

Thanks for the replies. I would agree, they seem more suitable for 2 or 2 plus one child. On NCL website when you look at the room description they say 2-3 for the penthouse but on the deck plans for the Gem they are tagged as holding 4 and it lets you go all the way through the booking process with 4 people in a Penthouse room, just not sure where they expect everyone to sleep?

Have sailed jewel class penthouse. DH and I think it's perfect for two...and if necessary, an infant. These cabins, for years, were for 2 only. Now some half a new chair....it is NOT a loveseat...that pulls out that might sleep an 8 year old comfortably. There is not alot of open 'floor space' in these suites so I'm not sure where the 4th person would go. Just our opinion.

There are two types of one large room type full suites, an owners suite, haven/courtyard suites, the two bedroom suites, mini suites.

Be very careful about the term penthouse suites as many of these have been called that by different people.

As to the OP- go for the 2 BR suite vs the one room suites.

Thanks for everyone's input, think we will look at the 2 bedroom.

Funny thing is, NCL web site lets you enter 4 guests, names and info and essentially get to the "book" stage for a guarantee penthouse suite (SF-SE) which seems to fit 3 only at best. I called NCL last night to clarify and they told me that the SF and SE on Jewel and Gem do not fit 4. I asked her what happens if I book the guarantee SE/SF online what they would do. She didn't really have an answer. Any guesses? I would assume they have to accomodate us in a equal or better suite that sleeps 4. Side note, Haven worth the extra money? Sorry for all the q's, never cuised NCL before.

Side note, Haven worth the extra money? Sorry for all the q's, never cuised NCL before.

Is the Courtyard/Haven worth the extra money? My 17 year old dd certainly thinks so. She lives there when we cruise; gets the butler to bring her snacks, lunch, dinner there.

I generally agree. It gives you a space apart where you don't have to worry about chair hogs and, if you are sailing during the winter from a cold weather port, if gives you a warm, uncrowded place "outdoors".

Archived