If you purchase upgrade at pier, is it more than if you did it prior to sailing?

Does this make sense? Let's say it costs me $1000 to upgrade to another category when I book my cruise. I keep checking and the rate doesn't go down. I get to the pier and ask how much it would cost for an upgrade. Is it usually

less than my original upgrade cost of the example of $1000?

I've read about people getting upgraded for $300...

Just wondering..

Thanks!

Kim

Kim, it can really vary. It is truly a gamble. First off, it is really rare that pier upgrades are even available. Just know your prices and what you would be willing to pay for an upgrade and then ask at boarding. Some examples of what we have paid to upgrade at the pier in the past:

E1 balcony to GS $700 (11 day cruise, Platinum)

E1 balcony to OS $500 (11 day cruise, Diamond)

JS to GS FREE (11 day cruise, Diamond, second leg of a b2b)

It is best to book a catagory that you are happy with.

Hope this helped.

I don't believe C&A status effects pier upgrades--it's first come, first served. As for free pre-cruise upgrades, they are rare; although I've heard that RCI is now giving them to Diamond Plus members sometimes. Unfortunately for the rest of us (until we make that status) that means even fewer pier upgrades. And remember, pier upgrades are per cabin not per person. For a 7 day, it seems to me like upgrading within your general category (outside to outside) is usually $100; upgrading to the next level (outside to balcony) is usually $400; upgrading to the RS is the most expensive, I think it was something like $800 or so for balcony to RS (might be more--I'm sure someone will correct me :D ).

Anyway, pier upgrades are often less expensive, but they are fewer in number than before. As always, it's great advice to book what you want and then play it by ear at the pier. If you truly want to try for a pier upgrade, get there early.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

beachchick

Are room "changes" considered upgrades, even if on the same deck?

When we got to the Grandeur we had a party of 3 adults in a standard oceanview-no balcony. They informed us that our room had been changed, and we were "moved" to the other side of the ship, into a handicapped room. I would never book one outright, since we're blessed not to NEED one, but it was definitely larger and more accomodating for the 3 of us. I have no idea what became of our original room, whether it sailed empty or was used...

Still I wonder what triggered it...RCI or our TA. The 3rd person in our room had probably 3-4 RCI's behind him at that time-but not a CA member. The TA we had used had somewhat messed up his flights to Puerto Rico. He was INQUIRING on a flight change from departing from Hartford to departing from Washington DC, and they cancelled his flight in error. When they went to reschedule him on the original flight, his spot had already been re-reserved by someone else. So, I don't know if she had something to do with it or not.

I guess we'll never know...

Archived