Magic? Read in a review that the Magic docks on the Port side

helicopter

of the ship (is this correct) I thought the ships in Galveston always docked heading out, with Starboard side against the dock:confused: The OP also said she put the cash down for her S&S when she was checking in (didn't have to go to Purser's desk after boarding ) is this something new? Putting cash down at check in would certainly be convenient:)

of the ship (is this correct) I thought the ships in Galveston always docked heading out, with Starboard side against the dock:confused: The OP also said she put the cash down for her S&S when she was checking in (didn't have to go to Purser's desk after boarding ) is this something new? Putting cash down at check in would certainly be convenient:)

Ideally they would like to dock starboard side. However there are a few factors with Magic that determines this happening.

The winds and if there is a medical or another emergency to prevent turning the ship.

If not mistaken Magic has to turn before coming into the harbor because of her size she cannot turn in the turning basin. I am not 100% certain but I believe that is what I read.

Galveston doesn't have a turning basin, the ship comes headed in and turns right in front of the dock. Several variables exist, wind at the arrival time, tidal flow and sometimes visibility.

So far most (if not all) of the departures we have seen have been heading straight out.

The Magic is a great ship, we got to spend the night aboard for the "dockside experience" and it was beautiful!

When we were on the Magic TransAtlantic cruise, she docked starboard side when we arrived in Galveston. Our cabin was on the starboard side. Apparently there was a medical emergency also. We saw them transferring a passenger from a gurney into an ambulance right after we docked.

Sorry, I do not know the answer to your other question since we always back our S&S with a credit card.

I watched the Magic arrive in Galveston for the first time and she turned around out in the bay and backed into port.

I was also on the Magic Dec 4th and she pulled straight in and then we backed out into the bay and turned around there. She is to big to turn around in front of the port like the Conquest did.

I personally don't care which way she "parks" I just want to be on her!!!

I watched the Magic arrive in Galveston for the first time and she turned around out in the bay and backed into port.

I was also on the Magic Dec 4th and she pulled straight in and then we backed out into the bay and turned around there. She is to big to turn around in front of the port like the Conquest did.

I personally don't care which way she "parks" I just want to be on her!!!

Thank you for confirming what I thought I had read.

I knew she was too big ... for the turning area in front of the pier. Which I assumed was called a turning basin since that is where the ships turn at.

The Magic, and the Conquest did for that matter, dock with either side of the ship toward the pier. Conditions play a big part in how she docks. High winds make turning the ship with thruster difficult to impossible. In those cases she will likely dock the way she enters the harbor... port side to the pier.

They're currently turning the ship at the pier 10 turning basin and motoring backwards to the pier allowing her to dock with the starboard side facing the cruise terminal as you can see here:

IMG_0632.jpg

Picture191.jpg

The majority of the time she will be docked as you see her in those images.

The folks at Galveston have a great live webcam of Pier 23... where she docks. Here's a link:

http://www.galveston.com/pier23videocam/

:)

Which side is starboard, which is port? I never know. When facing the front of the ship, which is which?

When I was a kid, we used this memory trick:

Port is on the left facing the front (bow) of the ship: P-O-R-T four letters, L-E-F-T four letters, also the color for the navigation light at night is red, and port is red...

Starboard is on the right... starboard has a green nav light.

Hope this helps. It is one of those memory tricks I still use...

When I was a kid, we used this memory trick:

Port is on the left facing the front (bow) of the ship: P-O-R-T four letters, L-E-F-T four letters, also the color for the navigation light at night is red, and port is red...

Starboard is on the right... starboard has a green nav light.

Hope this helps. It is one of those memory tricks I still use...

Thank you.

So, our cabin is portside on the Magic.

when i cruised the magic on 12/4 the magic was docked port side. They backed the ship up all the way then turned it around near a private yacht area. when we arrived we were then docked starboard side so all she had to do was pull straight out. It was pretty cool going backwards for so long

Archived