Shark/ray Alley, Do You Swim With The Sharks

john kaz

Just did this excursion last week, and if you're lucky, you'll get to swim with the sharks. Before we got in the water, our tour guide said that once people get in the water, the sharks usually swim away. However, our group of 10 started getting in the water, and they stuck around! They hung out for a good 5-10 minutes until another boat showed up, and then they left, except for one rather large shark that kept coming back. Our guides threw some food in the water before we got in, so the sharks would at least come over - them sticking around was a bonus. I'm working on uploading my pictures to webshots right now, so if you check in a couple of hours or so, I should have my pictures up.

when we went the sharks only stayed around for a few minutes. I was a bit disappointed. They are nurse sharks and there were some rays. Then they take you on a snorkel tour- pointing out some neat findings but no more sharks. May is whale shark season in belize and there are snorkel trips for this but i cannot find any online that are <3 days....I would really love to snorkel and just see a whale shark. Anyway after the trip you visit san pedro (a cute little island with sand roads) and eat lunch- really pretty good. You can rent a golf cart to explore the smalle island. We walked but then asked a taxi for a tour (we had to be back in 1/2 hour) he was very good and showed us most of the island with a narration for i think $14 dollars (then we tipped 10 more because he was very good). It was pleasant and we have fond memories but i was disappointed with the "sharks"

The sharks are just nurse sharks. Saw and touched them both time I went to shark/ray alley. Very rough skin. We you read that someone is feeding the sharks, you better hope they are nurse sharks. The rays were much more fun, and lots of them. You actually swin/snorkel with the rays, unlike Grand Cayman where you are essentially standing on the sandy floor.

Just did this tour, it was wonderful. All I can say is...me, 3 sharks, sublime experience! Last year I unintentionally went swimming with a shark, Yikes!:eek: So I felt I needed to do this swimming with the shark thing to get myself back on the horse so to speak. We had 3 nurse sharks, 5 - 7 ft. long which stayed for 10-15 minutes until they turned the motor off. Then the big one just hung out one the outer edges for the rest of the time.

Having just done stingray city in Grand Cayman, I REALLY enjoyed shark ray alley more. I felt it was a better experience and you could watch the rays and sharks swim more. In GC the stingrays were right in your face so to speak. Different experience than at shark ray alley.

Archived